5 Blockbuster Franchises That Should Learn from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

The second thrilling episode in the rebooted Apes saga shows how big budget summer sci-fi should be done.

John Boot

July 11, 2014 - 11:30 am

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a darkly thrilling second episode of version 3.0 of the Planet of the Apes saga, a brooding tale about a desperate band of humans who survived a catastrophic plague. They live near a band of wary forest apes who just want to be left alone but are skilled with weapons and are harboring a bad-tempered would-be leader who is itching to start a war. Thanks to excellent special effects, a suspenseful storyline and bold, frightening action scenes, a 46-year-old series is now as fresh as if it had been dreamed up yesterday.

Here’s what some of the less successful blockbuster franchises that have overstayed their welcome could learn by waking up to Dawn.

I don't like the ape movies because I can count, a plague which kills 99% of humanity, still leaves 70 million people. I believe there are less than 100,000 apes of all types left.
I think the problem with the Transfomers movies is not that its just big robots beating on each other, it is that they are just bad movies.

The core story is two squads of soldiers separated from their homes, continuing the war they've been fighting anyways. The tenor can run the gamut from Red vrs Blue to Saving Private Ryan, with Godzilla thrown in for effect. Yet they managed to do absolutely nothing with it except set off disjointed explosions.
Dawn of Planet Obama
So that "who cares when machines fight machines" idea reminded me of a thought that I have yet to see made by anyone else - about 'Avatar'.

Now, 'Avatar' made buckets of cash, so who am I to criticize, but... did it occur to anyone else that, when the characters were battling for their lives against planetary monsters and predators, my thought was, "OMG, if he doesn't escape this frightening peril, he's gonna have to get a whole new avatar!"

I mean, it worked and looked cool, but still.....
The thing I hated most about Avatar, was the fact that they knew so little about the military. What commander would put troops, and expensive machinery on the planet, when he could put human minds into alien bodies. And if they wanted to exterminate the natives, is there some reason the couldn't do it from orbit. Come to think of it why wasn't their entire operation run from orbit?
The last ape film was a sleeping pill.
The apes are taking over after everyone is wiped out by a disease?

Replace "apes" with "Commies" and "disease" with "Liberalism" and save yourself the movie ticket.
If the Apes movies are your good example, count me out.
Gorilla General Ursus: "The only good human... is a dead human!"