*Spoiler Warning* I Loved the Ending of How I Met Your Mother

What did you think of the controversial conclusion that has some fans upset?

Helen Smith

April 3, 2014 - 2:00 pm

how-i-met-your-mother-banner

I watched the season finale to How I Met Your Mother Monday night and I thought they did a superb job with the ending. Apparently, many people were disappointed with the ending and let their feelings be known. I was always just disappointed that Robin and Ted were no longer together in the later shows and that they ended up together was a great way to wrap things up. It took the show full circle and gave it a twist at the end. It was already suspected that the mom was dead at the end of the show but that Ted hooked back up with Robin was a surprise and I thought the writers handled it beautifully. I know that some of you have no interest in such silly sitcoms but for those who watched the show, what was your opinion of the ending?

*******
Crossposted from Dr. Helen’s blog

Helen Smith is a psychologist specializing in forensic issues in Knoxville, Tennessee, and blogs at Dr. Helen.

The 'twist' was fine and appropriate for Ted. However, it utterly destroyed Barney's character arc. He changed the most out of any character, from a player to a loving husband. His love for Robin was a big part of that change. Essentially, Barney and Robin's relationship was redemptive for Barney. That was made meaningless by the divorce and his remission into his shallow love life. Then, in order to remake his redemption, he has a child with a literally nameless woman, the 31st woman he bedded in a month.

I think the writers are blind to how hamhanded the conclusions to Barney's story is because they are blinded by the sexual revolution. They don't allow themselves to see that committed relationships couple and create good parents. A man who does not respect himself or women will not suddenly become a good father because he knocked up one of his conquests.

Never watched the show before. Saw the finale. It was entertaining. Do not feel any desire or plan to watch previous episodes. Comments support this plan.
Never heard of it.
Ted spent 9 years talking about Robin. If the show was going to end with Ted living "happily ever after" with the kids' mom, what was the point of the show? Kuddos to the writers!
Sorry - don't do Hollywood. Have no idea what you are talking about.

This. Mr. Bison has taken the time I didn't to explain exactly what went wrong!
In spite of its tenure and correspondingly long story arcs, I found it a entertaining show where one could jump in and out at various points or just view at random points in syndication. One could call HIMYM a more realistic version of Friends. They should have just limited the Barney-Robin nups to 1 one-hour episode and then extended the content of the finale over the remaining 20 episodes.
meh.... too contrived
A friend first persuaded me to watch HIMYM after it had been on for two or three seasons; I liked it enough to track down the older episodes and get caught up. Then I stayed with it until the end.

Frankly, I liked the finale. I remember being quite disappointed when I first heard the narrator refer to Robin as "Aunt Robin", fairly early on in the series. That made it crystal clear that she was NOT the mother of the title. I thought Ted and Robin belonged together from very early on.

I didn't expect that the Mother would die during the finale so the surprise was a nice plus to me. I liked her and thought it was great that Ted and she were so happy together but people do die young on occasion so the premature death of the mother was reasonable. Having Ted finally get together with Robin was a nice touch. I choose not to be cynical and think that was the writer's plan all along.

Is it realistic for someone to have two great loves in his life and to have happy marriages to both? It's probably not very common but I have to believe it DOES happen occasionally. In fact, I'm pretty sure at least a few people have claimed to have experienced that in their lives; I just can't think of a real-life example at this moment. I find it inspiring to believe that it CAN happen and I'd certainly never begrudge it happening for someone else.

I would hate to have everyone feel that they were entitled to that as a matter of birthright. The Constitution only promises the right to SEEK Happiness; it doesn't guarantee that anyone will find it. If only the Democrats and their supporters would get THAT into their heads, America would be a saner place.
"Is it realistic for someone to have two great loves in his life and to have happy marriages to both?"

I doesn't appear that difficult for a man to have multiple great loves and multiple happy marriages. Might be more difficult to have one.

One of the great HIMYM contributions is the Barney Stinson Hot/Crazy scale that explains a common dating tradeoff in 30 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN_sSXKbzHk The world is full of hot but crazy women. Memorable girlfriends that are fun to date, but who would hell to live with over a lifetime.
I hate this scene! He changes the wrong axis every time!
"What did you think of the controversial conclusion that has some fans upset?"

I think America would not be in the lousy condition it is in if those who claim to support our founding principles would get off the bread and circuses train and get a life.

I agree. I have no cable TV and have never gotten involved with the show, although I have heard about it. We talk at my house, and read, and watch cat videos from the internet for entertainment.
I think your criticism is mis-targeted.
I think you fail to see the big picture.

Stories about love, commitment, and life are more about the big picture than our political squabbling.
Somewhat agreed - at least the TV shows in the US and in most northern European/Anglophone countries are 1 hour for one night per week. Could the fact that the Spanish telenovela being on for 1 hour but 5 nights a week account for some of the comparative weaknesses in those cultures?
Never watched it. Never watched Happy Days Friends lost walking dead etc

Life is too short for tv shows.
1 2 Next View All