Adventures in Low Carb

Eggs and greens.

Charlie Martin

April 2, 2014 - 3:30 pm

IMG_0048

Continuing the effort to eat more vegetables, I got up this morning and felt ambitious, so I took out a bag of spinach and baby kale. I sauteed the greens with butter and olive oil and two sliced cloves of garlic, added some chopped onions and four beaten eggs, and about 2 Tablespoons of quesadilla cheese, and scrambled them.

This one worked good, but I think turnip greens and eggs are better.

Charlie Martin writes on science, health, culture and technology for PJ Media. Follow his 13 week diet and exercise experiment on Facebook and at PJ Lifestyle

Like you, have been experimenting with egg scrambles for breakfast. Foundation is chopped up pork sausage patties fried up in a big slab of butter. Initially worked with mixing in 3 eggs and cooking until eggs were done. Pretty greasy and not hungry until lunch.

First variation was to chop up roasted bell peppers (colored) and mix them in just at the point where I was getting some browining with the pork sausage. Warm them up and then blend in the eggs. That added a few carbs due to the peppers themselves.

Latest variation uses sauteed zucchini and yellow squash. prepare this beforehand. Slice the zucchini and squash into 1/8" slices and quarter. Use a half stick of butter and saute until soft. While sauteing, dust with onion powder & garlic powder to taste. I also eat this with supper / lunch from time to time.

Warm up the pork sausage and butter. Add maybe 2/3 cup of the zucchini / squash mix to the pork sausage and heat up. Then add 3 eggs and scramble. Pretty filling and you get onions and garlic in your eggs. Lower carb count than the peppers and pretty filling. Cheers -
A olittle more info.y two biggest weight loss patients (both over 100 lbs in 5 months) were with adding strattera (This is an expensive med,but since my mother's Armenian, I had it diluted to 15mg/dayfrom the 60 mg dose.)
I am convinced I can push the fat metamorphosis into Brown Adipose Tissue and watch it self destrct by playing with IR.
I talked to Ralph DeFronzo (down in Houston ) over whether i should measure "c Peptide or adip[oncetin and he replied KISS.So
OK .Charlie. you say low carbs, I sat insulin resistance.As I've said before, the IR concept keeps cropping up again and again.The patient I started on the low dose VZ and Byst on Monday called this morning.As off yesterday,she discontinued her tudorza, her Spiriva and her rescue inhalers. This is 6 for 6.Note; this is the first patient not diabetic, but I dosed he at the 0.6 I've used onn everyone else.She's had a little nausea,so I'veknocked her down two '[units" Let's talk cost. VZ -about 150/month -at that dose.byst-1/2 pill/day maybe 35 bucks/month The inhalers not counting nebulizers and O2/about 750/month It's time to do a section on this.
Fi8nally- I lioke Novo They bought me two dbl cheeesburgers once.and some coffee. They just finished a SCALES trial using FIVE TIMES the dose i use of Victoza,and getting much worse weight loss than I fget by using cinnamon and Bystolic. I may see if clinical gov.com will sponsor a weight lo9ss trial,because I , m not sure Novo wants this.
Hmm, before reading I was instantly thinking a sprinkle of chives on a ham and cheese omelette... I see you took it a step further. Not a fan of turnip greens but I'm seeing fresh spinach possibilities here.
I like turnip greens, but this was spinach and baby kale. Actually I'm a fan of almost *any* greens.
you go y...., C... considers you an inspiration.
The low carb (caveman) formula is perfect, but if you are really serious about losing weight, then you'll need smaller portions as well. Bon Appetit.

That's the old naive thermodynamic model again. Doesn't work.
The old thermodynamics are unchanged and remain true, now and forever. Does work - in harmony with low carb.

It would work if the human body were a simple furnace.

It isn't.

Turnip greens are more tough, aren't they? Especially for a quick scramble like that?
You handle that in the sauté -- these were baby greens so once they were wilted it was enough. But 2-3 minutes of sauté seems to work well for fresh turnip greens.

Or, you cook greens for dinner and add the cooked greens the next morning.