Hannah Sternberg

March 25, 2014 - 4:33 pm
YouTube Preview Image

Spring is coming, and after a long, hard winter, I think that qualifies for a celebratory Spring Reading List. You know what summer reads are — beach books, thrillers, all the genre books you love to relax into. And winter reads are the kinds of books you curl up with, under a blanket next to a fire — deeper, darker books that take you away on the cold howling wind. So what’s a spring read? A book about awakening, a delicate but powerful book, a book full of the magic of transformation, tinged with slight sadness. Here are my four spring reads for this year:

4) A Room with a View by E. M. Forster

A moving romance and wry social commentary, A Room with a View takes place in the spring and summer, in Edwardian-era Italy and England. This book begs to be read by an open window.

To each his/her own I suppose. I can't think of four novels that I would want to read any less than the four cited.
That's a shame. Persuasion is a very good read, kind and wise.
Some people can't resist pointless nastiness. Get's you through your day, I guess. Bet you're a joy to be around.
Nothing nasty about the comment at all. I just don't share the author's taste in books and probably neither does most of the male population.
Also with tolbert. Better to read something by W.E.B. Griffin, or at least Herman Wouk's "The Caine Mutiny" which is better than the movie. You could also call it, "An Education."
I'm afraid I agree more with tolbert. Given the incredibly disastrous state of our country, and the accelerating descent of the world into chaos and evil, I think it would be more appropriate to comment that "*Winter* is coming," and to recommend that we read Dostoyevsky's "Notes from the Underground", "The Possessed", or "Brothers Karamazov", or Shakespeare's "MacBeth", over the books recommended here. Not that the books recommended by Ms. Sternberg aren't great works. They are. I just think they're less needed for the dark times we live in.