Actor Chris O’Dowd: Religion to Become as Offensive as Racism

"No, religion is ruining the world, you need to stop!"

Walter Hudson

March 18, 2014 - 7:14 am
<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page
YouTube Preview Image

Looking at historical trends in Gallup polling, the only category of religious identification which has grown consistently in the past decade is “none.” We should note that touting a religious affiliation says nothing of whether an individual truly adheres to the faith they claim. Indeed, the percentage of respondents who claim that religion is “not important” in their life has also grown, and a huge majority of people believe the influence of religion is waning.

O’Dowd’s increasingly illiberal view toward the religious echoes that expressed in much of academia and the scientific community. Richard Dawkins personifies the extreme. Given his many critical quotes regarding religion, Dawkins seems to speak from O’Dowd’s imagined future. Here’s a choice selection:

“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.”

“Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.”

“Bush and bin Laden are really on the same side: the side of faith and violence against the side of reason and discussion. Both have implacable faith that they are right and the other is evil. Each believes that when he dies he is going to heaven. Each believes that if he could kill the other, his path to paradise in the next world would be even swifter. The delusional “next world” is welcome to both of them. This world would be a much better place without either of them.”

That belief, that the world would be better without religious people, holds a latent power which could easily be channeled against religious liberty. At the risk of evoking the rhetorical garbage that is “Godwin’s law,” believing that the world would be better without a particular group of people rarely bodes well.

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page
Walter Hudson advocates for individual rights, serving on the boards of the Republican Liberty Caucus of Minnesota, Minnesota Majority and the Minority Liberty Alliance. He maintains a blog and daily podcast entitled Fightin Words. He also contributes to True North, a hub of conservative Minnesotan commentary, and regularly appears on the Twin Cities News Talk Weekend Roundtable on KTCN AM 1130. Follow his work via Twitter and Facebook.

Is this just another way for a B-List actor to get his name out there?
I bet he'd never dare say that the world would be better off without Muslims, though.
"Not allowed to say that."

"The world would be better off without Christians."

If there happens to be another Holocaust in our future, this is how you build its foundation.
I look forward to the day when the great majority of the people say, "I'm not spending my money going to movies. Actors are the worst of bums."
Why is religion always uniquely singled out for scorn? I was active in the League of Women Voters in the '70's until I moved to upstate NY. There was a woman there so vile and nasty that I left and never went back.
Hollywood is full of pedophiles and sexual abusers - not to mention drunks and druggies.
Academia is bulging with the most haughty, elitist, self-centered, wind bags on the planet.
Christians are, for the most part, kind, generous, selfless, and caring. I much prefer them to any alternative the world has to offer.
It's pretty obvious that O'Dowd has never read any of the great thinkers of Christianity. St. Augustine, anyone?
Interesting. An adherent of the most murderous religion in the history of the world is claiming other religions will disappear. Well, what is so strange about that? That's what his compatriots in Soviet Russia told the religious Jews: We would like to let you practice, but we are the future and religion is dead.

Then again, we Jews have been hearing that song since Abraham rejected paganism four thousand years ago. The long-term trend is definitely on our side.
As long as we stay focused and keep our powder dry. :)
I misread this as "Chris O'Donald" and thought "wow, someone has finally joined Garafelo as someone I won't see and whose material is not allowed in my house". Then I looked and had to go "who?"
I might buy his premise except for the fact that if humans don't believe in something, they'll believe in almost anything.
The fact that it's an actor mouthing off against religion tells us something about him. not us. Actors are usually - not always, but usually - narcissists and narcissists are people whose view of the world is always reflective of only one thing, that they are the center of the universe. There's no place in this self-involvement that allows for even a moderate amount of selflessness and to be a religious person, a believer, requires the ability to step away from one's own ego and see something larger than "me" or "I". I worked as an actress in the '60s and '70s and kept my Christianity to myself, too timid to face the ridicule that would have come my way had I let my religious proclivities be known. Another point: it's my observation that the best actors are not narcissists.
So Nazism is back in style?
There are exactly two religions that are currently 1) contributing to the bankruptcy and worsening economic situations of many countries, and 2) making the world a MUCH more dangerous place.

Religion number 1: Global Warming - The religion of the left, Marxists, Communists and Fascists the world over. They use this scam to extort hundreds of billions, maybe trillions of dollars from nations all over the world.

Religion number 2: Islam, which is NO religion of peace. Here is all you need to know about the "religion" of Islam, not all Muslims are Jihadist terrorists...but ALL Jihadist terrorists ARE Muslim. It's time the world started treating them as such.

Christianity, as well as the rest of the peaceful religions the world over, are just fine, and in NO WAY comparable to the two I've highlighted above.

No one in any of the peaceful religions are forcing their religion on you or anyone else. EXCEPT for Global Warming and Islam. Their disciples ROUTINELY impose their "religion" on EVERYONE they come into contact with every day.
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake

Philippians 1:29

Do these people not see the good works done in His name by countless religious organizations? Unfortunately they do not. But many unbelievers have a change of heart as they prepare to meet their maker, and I sincerely hope Mr. O'Dowd doesn't wait that long.
You make an extremely valid point. Without the good works done, particularly by Christians, there are many outreaches (food pantries, homeless shelters etc.) to the poor and needy that simply would not exist. Not to mention Universities, hospitals and free clinics.

Also Dawkins has been reminded time and time again that without the religiousity of many of the worlds greatest scientists and thinkers, we would still be back in the stone age. It was their faith and desire to understand the world God created that spurred them on to make pivotal discoveries.
1 2 3 4 Next View All