All 8 of Wes Anderson’s Films Ranked From Worst to Best

How does The Grand Budapest Hotel compare with the auteur’s other works?

Kyle Smith

March 7, 2014 - 8:00 am

6. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Much like The Life Aquatic, this nutty but thin comedy about a supercilious hotel concierge (Ralph Fiennes) who steals a precious painting claimed by a thuggish Nazi-like character (Adrien Brody) with a lethal henchman (Willem Dafoe)  takes great pleasure in its sets, costumes and deadpan acting. All that comes at the expense of the haphazard storytelling.

Respectfully disagree. I liked "The Royal Tenenbaums" at first blush but find that it has become progressivley more annoying the more times I see it. Let's face it - All of the characters in it (with the exception of Danny Glover's kindly accountant) are just awful. "The Life Aquatic" was such a crushing disappointment I still wonder how it got made. The best word to describe Anderson's work is "twee" - Something that is "nauseatingly cute and precious." The guy is unquestionably talented but his work hasn't grown or evolved the way as, say, Alexander Payne's has. I haven't seen "Moonrise Kingdom" but my expectations aren't very high.
Anderson is about to the manor born types. Other people go through titanic struggles to escape bad neighborhoods or get that first step on the ladder job or to have a child and then the child dies. In Anderson world there is no struggle and no heartbreak. All is given. Worse, all that has been given is taken for granted. Are there such people and such worlds? Yes. But they are unendurable to the rest of us. And not only because of jealousy. They are unendurable because they are an insult. To life itself.
Good grief. Bottle rocket was fun. Rushmore had moments. Aquatic was icky. The "genius" Royal Tenenbaums was so relentlessly dumb I quit watching it. The previews for the ones unseen are unappealing at best.

I've grown estranged from this director for irreconcilable creative differences.
Bottle Rocket -- the only unaffected and heartfelt story of the lot. It was all downhill from there.
The only movie by this guy I ever tried watching was Life Aquatic. My attempt ended in failure.
Sadly, I’ve come to dislike Wes Anderson’s movies in total. I used to like a few of them, but the sum of his aggressive whimsy and forced, Wes-Anderson-stylistic elements have just exhausted me. Except for Fantastic Mr. Fox, which is likely spared because it is animated, I find all of his films unwatchable now. This includes films that I used to like (e.g., Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums). Now, all I notice is the distracting Wes Anderson artifice.
It’s not that he makes bad films (although, The Darjeeling Limited was dreadful). It’s that I can no longer not notice Wes Anderson in every scene of every film. That said, this list is pretty spot on in its ordering...