20 Things You Might Not Know About Robert A. Heinlein, Part 2: His Preposterous Heritage

The continuation of a 4-part series exploring the life and work of one of the grandmasters of science fiction.

Sarah Hoyt

March 1, 2014 - 7:00 am

GloryRoad_1st_ed

7. It will be no surprise to anyone who has read Glory Road that Heinlein was a competition fencer.

6. A Heinlein juvenile I haven't read? I'll have to get it!

10. I remember that story, an attack on Senator Proxmire. "General Heinlein won't let the Russians have spaceships". But it came true anyway in a better way, thanks to Ronald Reagan.
RAH's voice reminds me of Harry S Truman's. Not overly surprising, as they came from the same area.
OK, now I am annoyed. Not you, Sarah.

I've collected images of covers for the last few years, and thought I had at least a majority of the Heinlein covers - and am apparently completely and absolutely wrong. Not a single one of these do I have (well, not a single one did I have).

(SF and some fantasy cover work has always been more interesting to me than the other "genre" covers. Western - horse and an unshaven male, occasionally a "Native American"; mystery - dead body, people looking at it, almost always in a library; romance - well...)
I've read that he moved to Colorado Springs because the thin, clear air helped his tuberculosis. He based "Farnham's Freehold" there, one of the most terrifying apocalyptic novels I think I've ever read. Now I want to go dig back into my old Heinlein books all over again!
I suspect he and Virginia moved to Colorado Springs because swinging started in the U.S. armed forces during the Second World War, and the Heinleins knew swinging couples among the military families stationed near there. They wanted sexual adventures with people already familiar to them.
You'd lose. Heinlein's adventurousness started with second wife Leslyn in California. I believe Robert and Ginny moved to the Springs to be far from nuclear weapons targets -- only to have NORAD start digging a big hold on the doorstep a year or so later.
He never stated so - but I think part of it was that he expected a lot of the "exciting" things in aerospace and nuclear power (as opposed to the "industrial" things) to be happening in Colorado, or just an easy drive south at Los Alamos and White Sands.

Another reason (I believe) was to get out of the same state as Leslyn - going by his letters, he was finding it very hard to work where she was constantly able to get at him.
He was actually treated at Fitzsimmons Army Hospital just outside Denver (at the time.)
Quoting from Bill Patterson's Introduction to Volume 1 of his Heinlein biography:

"In 1949 he was pioneering again, into a truly mass-entertainment form—the motion pictures, the first modern science-fiction film, Destination Moon. A local television station filmed a forty-seven-minute featurette on the making of the film, and Heinlein assured Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public that what they were about to see they could make happen anytime they were ready to open their pocketbooks—twenty years at a guess."

Patterson, William H., Jr. (2010-08-17). Robert A. Heinlein: In Dialogue with His Century: Volume 1 (1907-1948): Learning Curve (p. 13). Tor Books. Kindle Edition.

The last half of that featurette ---

"CITY AT NIGHT - ON THE SET OF "DESTINATION MOON" (1950 KINESCOPE)

City At Nite visits the set of Destination Moon, interviews with Director, Irving Pichel, producer George Pal, Robert Heinlein, Chesley Bonestell!"

--- can be viewed at

Unfortunately, the webpage can load slowly, and be a bit flaky, at certain times--- like today. But in the year the video has been up, it has played almost 1700 times. RAH is introduced in the first minutes of the video and appears again towards the end.

I've noticed the Jane Austen/Mary Shelley worshipers don't like the "Heinlein worshipers" cuz Heinlein's work is out of date.

I've also noticed the most spectacular drop off in SFF dates from the rise of the internet around 2000. Direct experience with interests seems to trump Google-itis. You can hardly write compelling fiction based on Wikipedia. Writers have more access to info than ever before, and less.

Don't know about "worship," but Sarah Hoyt is a Jane Austen lover.
"...out of date."

We, who find ourselves living "The Crazy Years", and Heinlein is out of date?
Heinlein lived long enough to see the "space age" come and go. The idea of sending someone to the moon has become science fiction again, especially because so many people deny that it happened the first time in 1969.
The weird part is that after "the Man who Sold the Moon" was "disproven" by history, it is now coming true anyway.