How I Lost 25 Pounds without Having to Run

Here are three actions I've taken that have contributed to my weight loss.

Chris Queen

January 25, 2014 - 11:00 am

1. Water, Water Everywhere!

Bottled Water

I’ve never been a water drinker, despite hearing over and over how good it is for me and knowing the benefits of increased water intake. When I made the commitment to lose weight, I knew that water had to play a part in my efforts.

I started out following the formula of twice your weight in ounces of water per day, which meant I had to drink a gallon a day! After a couple of days, I realized that pouring from a gallon jug into cups was impractical, so I switched to eight bottles a day. Walmart and Aldi brand water taste fine and are cheap enough to be worthwhile. Later, a friend shared a chart with me showing that I needed to drink ten bottles a day! Adding the two extra bottles became a chore, so I went back to eight a day.

I’ve now lost enough weight to drop down to seven bottles. I credit the water with helping me feel healthier, and, though I’ve sworn off my dalliances with diet drinks, I still enjoy sweet tea and soft drinks. I’ve even learned to enjoy water!

" formula of twice your weight in ounces of water per day" is that right? I weigh 270 pounds so I should drink 4 GALLONS of water a day? Or should it be half your weight in ounces of water? That makes much more sense.
Thats great!

You said going to the gym didn't work out, so you might try working in some daily sets of body-weight exercises. 20 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night of things like push-ups, sit-ups, bend-overs, squats, twists, windmills, etc. Basically, all those things they made you do in 7th grade gym class. Those are some really effective exercises.
Great job! This is a very sensible plan. The only other thing I would add is to quit drinking beer or whatever is your favourite poison. Having enough self discipline to successfully implement portion control; that is the key to managing your weight. No fad neanderthal diets required. I've never had a weight problem and have practised portion control my whole life and have never gone hungry except when I was deployed.
You inspired me to start last fall! and I've lost quite a bit of weight in the same time frame, too-one thing that helps me is plain seltzer water. I found that I could give up every form of "flavored sugar" (sweetened drinks, hard candy, frosting, syrup, etc) easily except sodas. I realized it's the bubbles I really miss so I add lemon and lime wedges to plain seltzer water, or drop in some frozen fruit. (No matter what they say, I can tell that flavored seltzer water has some artificial sweetener in it because I have a mild physical reaction to artificial sweetener). I keep raw almonds around too and help myself to those whenever everyone else is eating chips or popcorn etc.
Try Stevia as your substitute sweetener and be careful with the almonds.
They are a good source of protein but too high in calories to be a snack food at 360 cals per 55 grams . 55 grams is not very much and it's easy to eat more than you should.
Thanks, but I've already lost my taste for sweets. And, oops! I didn't notice this wasn't Charlie Martin so I wasn't inspired by Chris Queen (no biggie).
I need to drop some poundage in 2014. I definatlely have to ween myself from the soft drinks and drink more water.
Just don't substitute diet soft drinks. They play nasty tricks with your metabolism and sugar regulation mechanisms.

I have no idea why you think drinking all that water has anything to do with losing weight, but I'm sure it's wasted effort and would be sending you to the bathroom 20 times a day; or maybe that's how you loose weight, running to the bathroom or the nearest tree or whatever. Only if you're competing in the Tour de France or fighting in the desert in 120 degree heat would your body have use for that much water. Otherwise the excess just goes right through you.
I've heard that its because the water fills up your stomach and creates a sense of fullness. Not sure if thats true, but it seems to have worked for him.
I too had the same wright loss problems over the years, same for my kid brother. My son turned me on to a site called Myfitnesspal.com. That's all I needed in conjunction with cutting out all sugar, all sweet drinks, all bread pasta, potatoes and rice and the weight almost fell off me. Seriously though, in 6 months with no difficulty or deprivations whatsoever ( no running either but a bit of daily bicycling) and I dropped from 200 to 165 lbs, my goal weight. My brother made it in the same period from 263 to today's weigh- in of 215. No fancy dieting except cutting out what I mention at the outset and using the web program to count calories. Damn if it didn't work just fine. After following the regimen for 8 months now I am retrained in my eating habits and confident that with a bit of discipline will keep me this slim for the rest of my days.
Cutting out all sugar, flour, rice, potatoes will also help. Go paleo.
Great job, Chris!
The easiest way to lose weight is to walk for 30 minutes! Walking raises your heart rate, just enough so that your source of energy is fat, not protein!
I don't know about that, Keat. I walk for about 30 minutes and I see some of my neighbors doing the same. Some of them are still fat.
Imagine what they would be if they didn't walk. :-)

Walking is the first-step, do-no-harm exercise and is the thing to recommend to those not used to exercise or those just trying to stay basically healthy. Still, the formula remains -- calories used > calories taken = weight loss. Calories used < calories taken = weight gain.
It probably depends on your route and the pace. If you walk slowly over a flat course, then sure its not going to do much, but if you walk quickly and make sure to go over hills or walk through sand then you'll get a decent workout.
You may be right. I live on the Gulf Coast. Flat, flat, very flat.
My retired Doc friend maintains that velocity has nothing to do with the physics of doing "work". Work is a function of only two factors, distance and the mass of the object being moved. That is probably correct. But I used to run. It seems to me that running must require burning more calories than walking.

As for the hills, going uphill covers more distance per horizontal measurement unit than going flat, and therefore more time at the same velocity.
"My retired Doc friend maintains that velocity has nothing to do with the physics of doing "work". "

Your Doc friend should stick to retirement, and not opine on physics. Or at least take a high school course on the subject before he does.

"going uphill covers more distance per horizontal measurement unit than going flat, and therefore more time at the same velocity."

It also moves a weight against the force of gravity, then forces your muscles to work harder to decelerate that weight against the force of gravity.

Unless you are fat enough to just roll downhill, of course. Then you only have the extra work of lifting the body up the hill.

;-)

My trick was to have hip pointers so bad that I was on 400 mg of Ibuprofen a day. Which worked for the first year, then I got nauseous, throwing up supper right after eating and generally ruining my appetite. Lost 25 lbs in about 3 months. Problem being, I started at 160, so dropping to 135 was not healthy for a guy.
1 2 Next View All