Hercules Slams California Tax Proposal

Kevin Sorbo: "Fine you for moving to another state!! WTF!!"

Walter Hudson

December 27, 2013 - 12:00 pm
You're gonna tax what now?

You’re gonna tax what now?

Kevin Sorbo, the actor best known for his role as television’s Hercules, apparently likes to rage against government on Facebook. Who knew?

In one of his latest posts, the Californian takes umbrage with a decree from self-styled Olympians governing from Sacramento:

Oh, did I mention that the State of California, where I reside, has a bill on the table to tax/fine anyone who decides to leave California for another state or country. True story. Fine you for moving to another state!! WTF!! Maybe I can sneak out on a boat to Mexico.

In a cursory search, I was not able to find anything to substantiate this claim, though I have no trouble believing it. Such a proposal has been made before, and the Left has demonstrated on more than one occasion their willingness to punish or ban interstate relocation. Recall the National Labor Relations Board strong-arming Boeing when the aircraft manufacturer sought respite from Washington state’s smothering labor climate in right-to-work South Carolina? That ended only after Boeing capitulated to the NLRB’s extortion and threw a bone to the unions.

Fundamentally, only one difference exists between such actions and the Soviet Union’s construction of the Berlin Wall. That difference is a matter of degree. A tax on relocated wealth or an NLRB fine acts to deter escape from progressive utopia. The Berlin Wall merely dropped the pretense and made imprisonment within political borders obvious.

Those who propose such taxes, or otherwise seek to keep individuals and companies from voting with their feet, ought to be aggressively challenged utilizing the Berlin Wall comparison. Why did the free world oppose the Berlin Wall? What made that wall immoral? How does that differ from any government action to punish expatriation? Modern tyrants must be thus exposed.

Walter Hudson advocates for individual rights, serving on the boards of the Republican Liberty Caucus of Minnesota, Minnesota Majority and the Minority Liberty Alliance. He maintains a blog and daily podcast entitled Fightin Words. He also contributes to True North, a hub of conservative Minnesotan commentary, and regularly appears on the Twin Cities News Talk Weekend Roundtable on KTCN AM 1130. Follow his work via Twitter and Facebook.

I lived in California for 10 years. Got my pilot’s license there. Owned two houses there. Had some incredible times there. Still have many close friends there. Love the place, especially the Central Coast - well, only the Central Coast. Hurts me to see it go downhill so much.

I had two bank accounts there with substantial funds in them. But I closed them out. They have this quaint practice in California. If you have a bank account and there are no deposits or withdrawals for a while, the State takes the money. Nice.

As for a fine for leaving - yagottabekiddin’! That will only accelerate the departure.

Is not it just a bit odd that California has become the leading Sanctuary State for illegal aliens and also wants to tax people who are trying to leave? “No Von Escapes From Stalag 13!”
Since when has the Constitution held up any Leftist scheme after the beginning of Year One Anno Obama>

Subotai Bahadur
"Fundamentally, only one difference exists between such actions and the Soviet Union’s construction of the Berlin Wall. That difference is a matter of degree. A tax on relocated wealth or an NLRB fine acts to deter escape from progressive utopia."

There was one other place that put an onerous tax upon those who wished to leave. Forgot the name, but it was run by a former corporal who had a funny mustache. Things started out pretty benign there too.
If the tax takes the form of taxes on the sale of your home w/o buying another perhaps you could just let the mortgage company repo the house after you miss a few payments.
Until 1996, when P.L. 104-95 took effect nationally, California and some other states imposed a "source tax" (income tax by another name) on pensions earned within California even after the recipient moved out of state. The state has made noises about reinstituting such a tax, but hitting employers instead of employees, since then. Surprised?
"Welcome to the Hotel California..... but, you can never leave"
===
Indiana, too.
"You wish to enter Nevada from California, then show me your identity papers".
When I was younger I thought Democracy=Freedom.

....... Silly me.
Quite right, silly you. Democracy is defined as MOB rule and the MOB may or may not be benevolent/intelligent.
It wouldn't surprise me if the fools in Sacramento put a tax on all conservatives & Christians in CA...
I'm not sure about anything being on the table now, but it's basically done by charging a state sales tax if you sell your house without buying another one within the state. And it wouldn't surprise me in the least. In fact, if they do it, I'll bet it'll be retroactive!
Ex post facto laws are prohibited by the Constitution.
BWAHAHAHAHA, tell me another one! Oh, wait a moment, I need to get a spit guard so I don't splash my monitor again.

Ok, now tell me another one.
There's a lot supposedly prohibited by the Constitution that's being allowed to go now- which has convinced me that our government has privately nullified it- leaving the news propagandists to manipulate popular support for its overt removal.
Tell that to Clinton when he raised taxes in the WINTER of '93 retroactive to January 1, 1993.
Nice to see there are others out there with some long-term memory.
In general, voters don't seem to recall anything more than 6 months back.
The idea of California setting up check-points at land, air, and sea points of exit is not so far fetched. After all, the good ole USSR had Internal Passports and required everyone who wanted to travel within the country to carry one. This was in addition to a national ID card, which allowed you to travel within 50km of your domicile.
RWE3 - you can claim your funds from the California State Controller's office. http://www.sco.ca.gov/upd.html
1 2 3 Next View All