Charlie Martin

December 24, 2013 - 1:00 pm
YouTube Preview Image

Charlie Martin writes on science, health, culture and technology for PJ Media. Follow his 13 week diet and exercise experiment on Facebook and at PJ Lifestyle

I've been out in 60 below.
I've been out in 60mph and more winds.
I've never been out in both together and sure'n Hell wouldn't want to!

If you've never felt sixty degrees below zero, you can't comprehend it. There's a reason Arctic Parkas have that "snorkel" hood, because you really can't breathe air that cold. In the Antarctic they make parkas that bring your breathing air up through the sleeve to warm it up before you take it in.

Rode the "taxi" from Goodnews Bay to Platinum, Alaska at about 20 below; a plywood sled behind a snow machine over frozen Goodnews Bay, cold as I ever want to be. Got a nasty scar from frostbite from having my knee pressed against the door of a Cessna 207 right on the seam between the fuselage and door structure. It was leaking outside air at about 40 below. Didn't even notice it until we got to one of the intermediate stops and I went in the warm terminal to use the head. As it started to warm up, I felt pain. When it really did warm up, I felt agony, and Anchorage was 400 miles away. Don't ever get frostbit! I had a third degree bite about the size of a half-dollar on my right knee. I assure you I never want to feel that sort of pain again!

In the late '80s when I was in my late '30s I sat myself down for a talk about what I was going to do when I grew up. The only conclusion I really came to was that whatever it was, it wasn't going to involve an Eddie Bauer North Slope Parka and "bunny boots" or Helly Hanson green rain gear. So, I traded the outdoor gear for Brooks Brothers and became a 'crat!
My infantry company was sent to someplace north of Edmonton for arctic training one January. It was a month-long expedition. A few of our guys managed to get frostbitten. One did so by spilling coffee in his lap in the mess tent. By the time he got to the barracks tent the coffee had frozen though and he was frostbitten on his..... uh... well.... =:O

I understand that his wife was pretty unhappy with the U.S. Army over that. She did some yelling at the CO.

Me? Oh, I did the only sensible thing. I took a month's leave and went home to southern California. :D

How many seconds would pajama boy last there?
Uh, yeah.

I've been in a few of those Colorado snowstorms, and they sure don't compare to that !

We had one blow through one spring that buried whole trailer parks south of Colorado Springs. Vehicles and complete trailers were buried.

Still doesn't compare to that.

55 mph sustained wind. Check.

Whiteout so thick you can't see 10 feet. Check.

The only thing we don't see up here in upstate NY is the 60 below zero. We have, I say, we have the lake to keep us warm.

I am so looking forward to real, measurable, human caused global warming. Really I am.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Wow! Can you imagine Cpt. Robert Scott's expedition out in something like that with dog sleds and tents? Good grief.
The hero from ANY Alistair MacLean novel would take it as an opportunity to wiggle out of a sealed window (while hospitalized with a 102 degree fever and a compound fracture), crawl 100 yards to the Radio Shack, warm up the batteries powering the wireless, while coding the message to be sent by Morse Code.

After the message was sent, he would reverse the process, crawling back into bed within a minute of the Bed Check, conducted by the prowling sadist who broke his legs in the first place.
Wow, I haven't read Alistair MacLean in years.
Perfect weather for The Thing to show up in.
Looks bracing, to say the least.
Brisk.