What Is Behind Martin Bashir’s Sincere-Sounding Apology to Sarah Palin?

Was the apology a result of the MSNBC host's Christian faith?

Paula Bolyard

November 20, 2013 - 8:00 am
YouTube Preview Image

Recently, in response to Martin Bashir’s segment on Sarah Palin, I wrote that the MSNBC host had “taken Palin Derangement Syndrome to a new level of hysteria” and called the attack vile and despicable.

This week, Bashir issued an apology that many found shocking because of its apparent stark sincerity and lack of caveats or blame-shifting. The oft-heard “if I offended anyone” was absent, as Bashir simply said, “I wanted to take this opportunity to say ‘sorry’ to Mrs. Palin and to also offer an unreserved apology to her friends and family, her supporters, our viewers, and anyone who may have heard what I said. My words were wholly unacceptable. They were neither accurate nor fair.” He said he was deeply sorry and added,  “I deeply regret what I said.”

Whatever you think of Bashir and his often liberal political posturing, this is the blueprint for an excellent apology. When I heard it, my first thought was: “This is how you apologize.”

In many ways this does not seem like the same man who viciously attacked Palin and regularly attacks and mocks conservatives on his show, which is why it caught many off guard and engendred accusations of less-than-honorable motives on Bashir’s part, despite the forthrightness of his apology.

While I will not presume to ascribe motives to Bashir, I would like to add a bit of context that may perhaps shed some light on how it’s both plausible and possible that he may have gone from harsh, ugly vitriol on Friday to humility and repentance just a few days later.

Did Christ call the tax collector down from the Sycamore tree? And did the tax collector promise half his wages and four times recompense to anyone he took advantage of?

I don't quite know whether to call Bashir down from the Sycamore tree or to watch others hang him from it.

His apology had none of the disingenuous and typical weasel words and phrases. What is in his heart remains to be proven by actions, not words.
Someone with faith doesn't say those things, his job was behind the apology.
It's simple. He should resign and crawl under a rock, forever.
The apology sounds real but who with any decency in their heart could have spoken those words that made the apology necessary in the first place?
John 10:38
Funny that Bashir would be so offended by Palin simply mentioning slavery even as the prime slavers today are Muslims. Where's his outrage at actual slavery?
A new term has passed into the lexicon: "To Bashir"

As in, "President Obama has Bashirred America."

Thanks, MSNBC!
I have doubts about the apology's sincerity, but by its words it appears to be a good one.
What happens in the days to come will be telling. To see if he produces good fruit that comes from true repentance.
I think Bashir should be commended for his bravery for admitting to being a Christian after having been born a Muslim. That is, to many Muslims, a offense punishable by death. It takes a lot of guts for a Muslim to leave islam.
Well, the good guys can take heart. All this makes Palin stronger.
The left and GOP grandees, both, have now lost control of much of their agendas.
Both groups made the fatal mistake of wounding Palin but not killing her.
The smell of flop-sweat is everywhere and harvest time is ahead.

For entertainment, keep an eye on Krauthammer and that malignant snotty-reporter-cow at the WSJ who wanted to be ambassador somewhere, but whose name I forget. And there are many more....

Meanwhile, our moral superiors will 'pray for Bashir'. Right, that'll do it.
Timothy Keller rocks. Great article. I will pray for Bashir as you suggest.
Our society has completely lost any semblance of decorum. Mr. Bashir should have made his comments directly to Sarah, face to face, gotten his ass kicked and we wouldn't have to listen to his puerile "apology."
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All