Military History: Whom Did General Sherman Consider His Most Gifted Colleague?"/>

Military History: Whom Did General Sherman Consider His Most Gifted Colleague?

Victor Davis Hanson is challenging your knowledge of military history. Topics are based on his recent book The Savior Generals. From the Freedom Academy.

Freedom Academy

October 29, 2013 - 1:11 pm

Military History: Whom Did General Sherman Consider His Most Gifted Colleague?

Rediscovering freedom and liberty one generation at a time.

Sherman once said (I paraphrase) "I know a lot more about military tactics and history than Grant does, but I'll tell you where he beats me and where he beats the world, Grant doesn't give a d*mn what the enemy does out of his sight, but it scares me all to hell."

On the other hand, barring only R.E. Lee and a few of the South's generals, few generals on either side in the Civil War was more widely admired than George (The Rock of Chickamauga) Thomas.
"The Rock of Chickamauga."

"The Sledge of Nashville."

George Henry Thomas
McPherson.
You give us Grant, Halleck and Thomas.

Given that Grant was Sherman's superior, I don't know that you could call them colleagues, although they were friends.

As Sherman wrote:

"Grant stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk."

Halleck despised and feared Grant, and constatntly sought to derail Grant's career.

Which leaves General Thomas. It was Thomas, a loyal to the Union Virginian, that won either Chattanooga or Chickamauga, and thereafter held Chattanooga and Tennesee, the logistical base for Sherman's drive to Atlanta and subsequent March to the Sea,(although the March did not HAVE a logistical base as was understood at the time).

Ergo, I would say it was General Thomas.

Although Sherman might have ranked CSA General Joe Johnston as a competent peer...after the war, Sherman was quite forward in praising Johnston's generalship.