4 Ways Gravity Lives Up to the Hype — and 1 Way It Doesn’t

Innovative filmmaker Alfonso Cuaron delivers another unique, amazing cinematic experience.

John Boot

October 4, 2013 - 9:00 am

2) The micro-level detail is nearly as impressive as the thrill-ride aspect.

Though Gravity isn’t one hundred percent scientifically accurate, the set design nevertheless feels, to a non-expert, genuinely convincing. The baffling controls of a Russian space station, the bulkiness of the space suits and even the way bits of random garbage float in the air inside zero-G spacecraft all add to the sense of an eerie, fascinating, beautiful and scary world of otherness.

2001 was the first Hollywood production to make us feel that painstaking research went into the production design, but the overwhelming increase in technical achievement makes 2001 and even Apollo 13 look primitive by comparison.

And once again, "conservatives" will rush out to give their money to feed the leftist machine that hates us, because, you know, it's just not reasonable to expect anybody to actually, you know, sacrifice something in our battle against encroaching tyranny.
Well, if the authors had written the character as a one-dimensional wise ass, would any other actor have worked any better, and since this was a one-woman show, who needs a male emotional center? If that's what you're looking for, go see Capt. Phillips, which I saw Sat evening.

I saw the movie Sat. and plan to see it again. It is an awesome movie, the best space movie since Apollo 13 and better than either of the newly revived Star Treks.
Excellent review. I just saw it tonight and don't have too much to add. It's definitely worth seeing in IMAX 3D if you can. It has some of the best spaceflight sequences ever put on film.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the biggest technical inaccuracy is that the various spacecraft depicted are in different orbital planes, so you can't just hop from one to the other. Granted, that's a whopper, but I think we can chalk it up to "artistic license". Much of the audience won't understand or care about orbital planes, anyway.

What really prompted me to see the movie wasn't the critical reviews, but the favorable comments I've read from people who are space buffs. That said, it's kind of a bleak movie for space buffs.
Just saw the movie. Good thriller. Sandra Bullock is good in the role. Clooney's character is essential to the story. Not sure Clooney was the best choice but he's good in his supporting role. No politics, no agenda. Film good but IMHO would be better with a background story. Hard to feel for the character of the story without more background. It's like Tom Hanks movie 'Cast Away' but shot only on the island, no pre or post storyline, just what happens on the island, except this is outer space and even less connected to life. Visuals are A+ as is Bullock and Clooney. Direction and script B-. No Oscar winner here but still worth watching.
If it doesn't win the Oscar for Best Special Effects, they should retire the award.
If Bullock doesn't win the Oscar for best actress, there ain't no justice in the world. That was a phenomenal performance.
Agree completely.
In the heat of crisis, brave men have used humor to do just what the reviewer stated " decreases it's intensity."

He is an actor. Speaking lines from a script and taking someone 's direction. I have not seen the film, but plan to. My bet, Clooney will sound like a lot of actors who have played that role a thousand times before.
Maybe why Clooney was selected for this part was that he has played an astronaut before, in the remake of Solaris where he played a psychologist sent to figure out why people on this space station were refusing to return. Thought he was good in that. In that movie he also had to escape at the last minute from a doomed space station.
De gustibus and all that, but I saw the original Solaris in the 70s. The remake is . . . well, a remake. They shouldn't have bothered.
1) George Clooney is the wrong choice for this film.

Huh? Given that the scriptwriter and director gave him his lines, I'm not seeing how "the nonstop wisecracking is completely at odds with the absolute desperation of the situation the astronauts are in" as being Clooney's fault. Fault the director and scriptwriter.
Eh? Please connect the dots between your assessment of the film and the film. I'm as eager as the next person to belittle leftist drivel, but I missed that in the film.
I've been avoiding giving the entertainment industry my money for years. I even had my cable TV disconnected.

I make very rare exceptions, and this was one. Happily, I didn't discern any political messages in this film.
Another reason to not watch the film beside George Clooney is because, I do not think an astronaut would survive a collision with an satellite. Their suit would become ripped open a or a small particle would puncture the suit with so much debris out there.
Well, scientists have said the film's scenario is plausible. I took a space law class in the 80s that left we wondering why this hasn't happened yet. The only criticism I have of the movie is that they didn't use Arvo Part's Spiegel im Spiegel that they used in the trailer in the actual score itself.
Remember that phrase "Suspension of belief." When did reality sway your movie choices? Most of the movie going public go because it isn't reality. But if you want reality here's some: several years ago in Peru, prior to a visit by President Bush a large car bomb went off in a shopping center near the US Embassy. Killed over 30 people. My teenage son was there. It killed the persons immediately to his right and left. Shredded them with shrapnel. My son was unscathed. After that experience, I have no problem accepting miracles in movies and in reality.
O brother.

What is the to like about George Clooney?

George Clooney is the liberal who wants us to do something about Darfur

"Clooney is also noted for his political activism and has served as one of the United Nations Messengers of Peace since January 31, 2008." - wiki

"In March 2006, Clooney expressed his anger at Democrats for not taking a tougher stance against the Iraq War' -Discover the Networks

Read about why we went to Somali. It is basically the same reason why George wants us to become involved in Darfur. George's track record shows what he will do to the U.S. military if we were in Darfur.

In the big Scheme of things 'What is there to like about George Clooney?"
"A good reason to not see this film is that Georg Clooney will make money and fame off this film."

Well, how much more could it be than what he already has?
Sam Adams would have spit on you.
Sheesh. It is a movie without, apparently, a political point of view. There are lots of movies that can be justifiably skipped.
Hold on a minute. A movie 'without...a political point of view'? Just wait a while and I'm sure some critic, left or right, will see in this spectacular an insidious, malevolent message tucked away in Clooney's wise cracks. They are there, so where, I just know it.