Shelter-in-Place: This Generation’s Duck-and-Cover

Stripping citizens of their Second Amendment rights renders them as powerless as school children attempting to shield themselves from a nuclear blast with their hands.

Paula Bolyard

September 17, 2013 - 7:30 am

duck-and-cover

There is something very unsettling about the mental image of Navy Yard employees — many of them active-duty soldiers of the most powerful military in the world —  sheltered-in-place, “hunkered down” in a room waiting to be rescued by the Metropolitan Police Department. No doubt, many of these men and women are decorated war heroes who would have, had they been permitted to carry a sidearm, bravely taken out Aaron Alexis instead of sheltering-in-place. Instead, because the attack happened in a gun-free zone, they waited for the “authorities” to rescue them — hiding out behind stacks of office chairs, settling for a false sense of security behind barricaded doors with smart phones as their only weapons.

Sheltering-in-place in gun-free zones is this generation’s version of “duck-and-cover” drills. For those not old enough to remember, beginning in the 1950s and continuing throughout the Cold War years, the U.S. government told citizens they could protect themselves from the effects of a nuclear bomb — a bomb the Soviets could drop at any moment — by huddling under their desks or other furniture and covering the backs of their necks with their hands. School children practiced bomb drills in much the same way today’s kids practice lockdowns.

In my elementary school in the 1970s, we were warned against looking at the bright light of a nuclear blast and told our hands would protect us from the radiation. Once we were old enough to learn about the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, we all knew the truth — that the drills did little more than give us a false sense of security. Sometime around sixth grade, kids started mocking the whole exercise. “This is stupid. We’ll all be vaporized instantly if a bomb drops out there,” was a typical mantra. We were all terrified at the thought, but completely powerless to protect ourselves in the event of a nuclear detonation.

Slightly off topic, but I heard Chief Cathy Lanier's news conference last night and she said something that was a blatant lie (assuming she wasn't smoking and inhaling). She said Washington DC is the safests city in America. Has she looked at the FBI's UCR recently? Way above average homicide rates and violent crime rates. These people must think that we're all stupid and ill-informed.
If you realize that the police state is a much easier sell to helpless people, then you grasp the logic behind the Left's love of victim disarmament.
From Duck and Cover to Duck and Cower
One small correction: "..many of them active-duty soldiers of the most powerful military in the world..." I doubt there would be many soldiers there - maybe Ft. McNair and other places in DC, but not at NDW. There were plenty of trained sailors though [or Sailors as one CNO tried to implement about 15 years ago. Think he was jealous of Marines. Who were close by, both on NDW and at 8th and I]
And if "gun-free" military reservations are not bad enough. I get the distinct impression that the guard force is not Military Police but (lowest bidder) civilian rent-a-cops.

I still don't know if there was an armed reaction force on base or was it the DCPD that put down the mad dog.

For what it's worth, my agency just sent out its Active Shooter instructions. Quoted in full:

Because active shooter situations are often over within 10 to 15 minutes before law enforcement arrives on the scene, individuals must be prepared both mentally and physically to deal with active shooter situations.

RESPONDING TO AN ACTIVE SHOOTER – RUN. HIDE. FIGHT

Quickly determine the most reasonable way to protect your own life. Remember that visitors are likely to follow the lead of employees and managers during an active shooter incident. In short, the immediate actions are RUN, HIDE, or FIGHT; further details on these actions are provided below.

RUN – EVACUATE

If there is an accessible escape path, attempt to evacuate the premises. Be sure to:
• Have an escape route and plan in mind.
• Evacuate regardless of whether others agree to follow. Leave your belongings behind.
• Help others escape, if possible.
• Prevent individuals from entering an area where the active shooter may be.
• Keep your hands visible.
• Follow the instructions of any police officers.
• Do not attempt to move wounded people.
• Call 911 or appropriate emergency number when you are safe.

HIDE – HIDE OUT
If evacuation is not possible, find a place to hide where the active shooter is less likely to find you. Take some time now to examine your surroundings to determine where would be good place to hide, or a good place to avoid.

Your hiding place should:
• Be out of the active shooter’s view.
• Provide protection if shots are fired in your direction (e.g., an office with a closed door).
• Not trap you or restrict your options for movement.

To prevent an active shooter from entering your hiding place:
• Lock the door.
• Blockade the door with heavy furniture.

If active shooter is nearby:

• Silence your cell phone and/or pager.
• Turn off any source of noise (e.g., radios, televisions).
• Hide behind large items (e.g., cabinets, desks).
• Remain quiet if evacuation is not possible.
• Remain calm.
• Dial 911 as soon as possible to alert police to the active shooter’s location.
• If you cannot speak, leave the line open and allow the dispatcher to listen.

FIGHT – TAKE ACTION AGAINST THE ACTIVE SHOOTER

As a last resort, when you cannot run and cannot hide, and only when your life is in imminent danger, attempt to disrupt and/or incapacitate the active shooter by:
• Acting as aggressively as possible against him/her.
• Use whatever improvised weapon available and commit to your actions to incapacitate the shooter as quickly as possible
How about defecating in place? The odor might overpower the attacker, and/or you might smell dead.
Of course, we haven't field-tested these methods. But they sound a lot better than "Cower under your desk and wait for either the police or the shooter to find you."
Even in places where there are few restrictions, not many people carry to work, the movies, restaurants, social events, etc. I live in a very heavily armed place, Alaska, and the odds are pretty good that someone in my field of view is armed no matter where I am, but not that many someones will be unless I'm out of the urban areas.

As I write there is a loaded Walther PPK/S hanging on the wall over my left shoulder, a loaded Saiga 12 in the entryway closet next to the front door, and a loaded Mossberg 500 12 guage upstairs beside my bed. And there's a whole bunch more guns in the safe downstairs, but by Alaska standards, I'm pretty lightly armed.

That said, I rarely carry. The only time I am ALWAYS armed is when I'm out of town; outside urban areas, humans aren't the top of the food chain in Alaska unless they're armed. I really do have a Mercedes-Benz with a gunrack, one of those made for cops so you can stow two long guns, usually shotguns, upright between the seats except I have mine right behind the console between the seats since there's no foor space to mount it between the seats and the dash like most cop cars have them mounted.

Carrying a gun out in public is a scary heavy responsibility. Even people with CC training have little shoot-no shoot training. Cops who have lots of shoot-no shoot training get it wrong from time to time. I'm pretty confident I could make a good shoot-no shoot decision in a pure personal defense situation, i.e., I am being personally and directly attacked or someone invades my home. A decision to go after an active shooter in a theater, office, or at a social or political event is a whole different question especially if you can protect yourself and those for whom you're directly responsible simply by hiding, playing dead, sneaking out the door.

So, if I'm carrying and there is an active shooter in a theater or at the office, I get a case of brave, and shoot and kill him. There's lots of jurisdictions where a zealous or overambitious prosecuter would try to charge me, so I can count on having to defend myself and justify my shoot as self-defense or defense of others facing an imminent threat, and there's always the Zimmerman lynching possibility. If I miss or rounds overpenetrate and injure or kill others, that same prosecutor may charge me and survivors of my accidental victims are almost certain to sue me. Fundamentally, unless there is something like a "Good Samaritan" law to protect someone who uses a weapon in an active shooter situation, you're a whole lot safer to "duck and cover" unless and until the shooter comes for you. Not very altruistic of me, huh?
I live in the Northern Virginia suburbs. I wouldn't carry unless I were going into a situation where there was a real chance that I would need to defend myself or someone else against an attack. Getting coffee at Starbucks is not that kind of situation. Visiting certain neighborhoods, especially at certain times of night - possibly. Since my travels don't usually take me to places like that, I don't usually take a weapon with me.

Like you said, carrying a gun is a big responsibility. It's more than an "equalizer" - in life-and-death terms, compared to most of the people around you, it makes you a god. So you have to ask yourself, "Am I a kind, benevolent, compassionate god who wants to care for people, or am I an angry, paranoid, fickle god who wants to punish people?"

It's not about what kind of gun you carry - it's about what kind of heart you carry. (I think I heard that on a Kung Fu episode once...)
I would imagine those at the Navy Yard didn't think they "were going into a situation where there was a real chance that I would need to defend myself or someone else against an attack" when they arrived for work Monday morning at their "securely guarded" gun free zone.

I have a CWL and carry everywhere it's legal to do so and try to avoid places it's not... because you NEVER know.
God don't need no gun. And Obama is the closest thing We have here on earth.
In the news "Six weeks before he killed 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard, Aaron Alexis called police to his hotel room in Rhode Island and said he was hearing voices in the closet and wanted to move to a Navy hotel, police said Tuesday. A Newport, Rhode Island police sergeant reported Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis to naval station police last month after the suspect told cops he was “hearing voices” through his hotel room wall and that three people were following him and sending vibrations into his body, according to a police report obtained by FoxNews.com…The sergeant wrote in the report that based on what Alexis told him, “I made contact with on-duty Naval Station Police [officer name redacted.]”The Naval Station Police official told the sergeant “they would follow up on this subject” and determine if Alexis was, in fact, a naval base contractor.

So it looks like 6 weeks ago Rhode Island police warned the Washington Navy Yard that Alexis was basically "nuts" and they did absolutely nothing about it, probably because of "Affirmative action" and fears of being called "racist" and geting into trouble with higher ups.
And the "security" that shows up to confront the perp, has seriously deficient weapons training, and are less capable of confronting an enemy than the servicemen & women, many whom have medals and awards for exemplary service, and while UNDER FIRE from an enemy.
Yea; Police departments should be gun free zones, too.

If Obama had another son, it would've looked like Aaron Alexis.
The main problem which Fort Hood and the Navy Yard have revealed, more like even further revealed, is "affirmative action". If I had acted like Captain Hasan when I was in the Army I would have been tossed out on my ear, not promoted to Major. If I had been booted out with a general discharge and on top of it got arrested twice for shooting up apartments and cars, like Alexus, I can not even imagine ever getting any kind of civilian job with the Army or Navy or any agency of the government or with a government contractor. Of course, I'm not Black and I'm not Muslim so nobody would be pushed by "affirmative action"/"diversity is our greatest strength" quotas to hire me.
"Gun free zones" didn't start under Clinton and in any case the main problem at both Fort Hood and the Washington Navy Yard was "affirmative action".
She was just gearing her remarks to the city's inhabitants, Democrats. The most gullible folks imaginable. Too lazy to think.
I'm always impressed by the thoughtful edicts that disarm me for my own good, coming from a man who will have a lifetime armed bodyguard team for the rest of his life, paid for by me. That's ever so thoughtful and appreciated.

NOT. You self-righteous, smug, elitist, hipocritical D-bag, thanks a lot.
1 2 Next View All