The 10 Best Criterion Collection Movies on Hulu

Some of the greatest films of all time are right at your fingertips.

Kyle Smith

September 13, 2013 - 9:30 am

8. Three Colors: Red (1994)

The best of the trilogy of movies by Poland’s Krzysztof Kieślowski named after the colors in the French flag, this brilliantly plotted drama about seemingly unrelated lives that turn out to be intertwined stars the startling beauty Irene Jacob as a model and the legendary Jean-Louis Trintignant (Amour) as the mysterious retired judge she meets after she runs over his dog. Nominated for three Oscars including two for Kieślowski for best director and screenplay.

7. Love on the Run (1979)

France’s François Truffaut made somber melodramas, Hitchcockian thrillers and a film about being obsessed with death, but this romantic comedy is a superb piece of light entertainment. It’s the fifth and last film in Truffaut’s series about his alter ego Antoine Doinel, who was introduced as an alienated juvenile delinquent in The 400 Blows but grew into a thoughtful romantic with a habit of falling in love far too easily.

Anna. I see what you mean... Alice`s st0ry is something... last tuesday I got a gorgeous Citroën 2CV when I got my cheque for $5209 this-last/five weeks and-a little over, ten/k last munth. it's by-far my favourite work I've ever done. I actually started six months/ago and pretty much straight away started bringing in at least $87, per-hr. website here http://www.wep6.com
Go to website and click Home tab for more details.
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Much obliged for the list!
Hoop Dreams is a great movie, but I the Criterion Collection is not the reason you should get Hulu Plus. It's all about the great anime selection and foreign films that this service gets that keeps me a faithful subscriber.
Read the article, watched the trailers.

Remembered why, I never go by another person's opinion on movies.
I have seen most of these, but I would replace #2 with Portrait of Jennie>. That movie haunted me since I first saw it.
>>"Swedish director Lasse Hallstrom (who got his start directing ABBA videos and later turned into a Hollywood hack)"

What a stupid remark. Since "My Life as a Dog", Hallstrom has directed "Once Around," "What's Eating Gilbert Grape," "The Cider House Rules," "Chocolat", "The Hoax," "Hachi," and "Salmon Fishing on the Yemen" -- all unusual and often luminous films. He's directed a number of forgettable commercial films as well, not terrible, but not as ambitious or unconventional. He seems to one of the few filmmakers who's balanced the artistic and commercial or more popularly accessible. He is no way, by any definition, a "hack."

And Truffaut is overrrated. So is Chaplin.
I think Jack Oakie as Mussolini nearly stole the show in "The Great Dictator." Certainly that was the masterpiece performance of his career.

And I don't mean that to take anything away from Chaplin's brilliance in the movie.
I'm going to second Monkey's comment, Yojimbo and The Seven Samurai are two of my favorite Kurosawa films, and both got Criterion releases.
I'm a little miffed there's nothing b Kurosawa in this list, nor Jean-Luc Goddard, but I suppose it's a matter of taste. Concerning no. 4, Ascenseur pour l'echafaud, the soundtrack was composed and played by Miles Davis and is worth owning in it's own right.
Unfortunately, the only way to get movies here in Israel without stealing them is to have a US iTunes account; it appears Apple is the only company not to check your IP.

It's still probably illegal, but at least I'm payign for it.
1 2 Next View All