20 Tips for Talking with Your Anti-American Acquaintances When They Say Dumb Things on 9/11 (Part 1)

(If you have the stomach and the stupidity for it... which I unfortunately do... sigh...)

Dave Swindle

September 13, 2013 - 5:30 pm
<- Prev  Page 2 of 10  Next ->   View as Single Page

My problem with the Crusades is not their aim as the other things they did; slaghtering Jewish men, women in children not only in the Holy Land but in Europe, for starters. They also had no time limit, so many of them just hung around Europe, completely above the law.

All I can say is that the victims of the crusades occupy an important part in our prayers, and that the surest way to fight a missionary in Israel is to say, "remember the last time?".
So you blame all of the Crusaders fro the crimes of some? And you think that antisemitism was a central value in the whole endeavor?
I am simply telling you what the term "the Crusades" raises in Jews who know their history. ("Missionaries" also.) Their weren't that many people interested in stopping them. Bernard did, although his preaching likely caused a lot of the problem in the first place. See Malcolm Hay's book; Malcolm in all of his other work is a great defender of the Church. Bernard also described the people who tended to join as some of the worst rabble in Europe.

Anti-semitism was a central value oif Christianity as a whole until relatively modern times. Unfortunately. The very word "perfidious", whch basically means "unbelieving", receoved its negative meaning simply because it modified the word "Jews". But the fact that some forms of Christianity attempted a 180 WITHOUT rejecting their scriptures or tradition, make me believe that Islam could do the same, but not if the Left keeps on appeasiing it.
"I am simply telling you what the term "the Crusades" raises in Jews who know their history."

You should speak for yourself instead of presuming to speak for all educated Jews. We have different frames of reference when talking about the Crusades. If you're wanting to dialogue with me about it then you're going to have to try and understand my perspective.
Well, while I disagree with your description of Judaism, which I also think is submission to God (Judah mean "to give thanks to God"), I agree with your thesis in a differeent way.

've often felt that the horrific tortures and execution methods of the Middle Ages (quite foreign to Jewish law) were the result of trying to graft a monotheistic religion on the barbaric peoples of Europe. (Not that the Romans were pikers in those areas, but Rome occupies the same place in Jewish though as Satan does in Christian.)
That wasn't my description of Judaism. It was my description of Israel. I appreciate my Jewish friends and their religion very much but I do not share much of their theology and most of their rituals. The Bible is the primary source of my values. It is one contributing factor to my theology and ritual practice.
First of all, I want to thnak you for being gracious enough to reply; this is one of the wonderful things about PJMedia.

I am a big fan of the Christian Right. And for the record, the US is a Christian country. I'm sorry if I sometimes come accross as anti-Chiristian; I do not mean to be. And by the way, the Jewish rules for non-Jews (the Nachide Code) is pretty close to the Catholic rules. We don't WANT everybody to keep the rituals.
You're welcome MZK, thanks for your comments.

I am a fan of some parts of the Christian Right, others not so much. I used to be a serious Evangelical Christian for years as a teenager. I eventually had theological disagreements with the youth pastor who claimed that all Jews were going to hell because they hadn't accepted Christ as their savior. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't make sense, and seems overwhelmingly heartless to have to tell the 7th grade girl in the youth group that her Jewish grandmother who just died is now being tortured forever in hell! God couldn't work that way, especially with his chosen people. That theological disagreement led to others until I eventually abandoned churchgoing Christianity altogether and spent a decade wandering amongst mysticism, occultism, and Left wing political activism. My early 20s were a dark time. Until getting out of college, dealing with the real world, and having a number of painful, encountering-evil, open-your-eyes-to-the-grown-up nature of reality experiences inspired me toward conservative politics and back to Biblical values.

So, all this to say: I have big problems with most of modern American Christianity, both Right and Left. The Christians who I adore and who I work with are generally JUDEO-Christians. Too many Christians are just focused on Jesus and the New Testament and thus because they do not have a serious grasp of the Torah and the Jewish traditions from which Christ emerged, they misinterpret a whole lot and tend to often do more harm than good. So while I still recognize the New Testament as divine and value much in the Christian tradition, I do not identify as a Christian nor do I practice many Christian rituals. I am a Judeo-Christian Hermeticist -- a mystic/occult practice with a Biblical basis. Think John Dee for my preferred models.
I wish I had "edit" - too many typos.
The fact that 'some' Terrorists, murderers and Tyrants are ostensibly 'Christians' is totally irrelevant as they do not commit their evil acts in the NAME of Jesus and the Christian God. Totally unlike Muslims whose whole predestined life is guided and CONTROLLED by 'allah' and his INVENTOR Mohammad.
Yes, I agree.
Allahu akbar, does NOT mean “God is great.”
In Arabic, “God” = Allah and “great” = kabeer.
Allahu means “My/Our God” and akbar means “greater.”
Allahu akbar, therefore, means “My/Our God is greater [than yours].”

When a Muslim shouts this, he is being very clear about his motives an sentiments : jihad, the holy struggle to defend Islam by killing infidels. So apart from confirming that his ACT is Mohammedan in nature it also exposes the reality of Islam because if THEIR god is greatest then there must be perforce other ‘lesser’ Gods. Which reveals Islams Polytheistic roots and it also reveals the confrontational and supremacist nature of Islam.
Needless to say the Mohammedans are very happy that the moronic moonbats and the Islamophile, antisemitic Lame Stream EneMedia continue to mistranslate it as “God is Great” as this also gives them the opportunity to say that their God 'allah' is the same as your God. Which is patently and clearly insane. The Mohammedan God is an evil , self contradictory, illogical, violent,misogynistic, vengeful , antisemitic, Arab supremacist God (its all in the Koran) totally unlike the Christian and Jewish God.

Unreadable. I can only see the left half of the article, even with my browser set to fullscreen on my 16:9 monitor.
There have been some problems that have been causing the whole site -- not just this post -- to not show up properly for some readers on some browsers, in some parts of the world. The tech team has been notified and is working on it.
There are severe formatting problems with this post, making it difficult to read. Much of the content on the right side is covered. I tried with firebox, Chrome, and even Internet Explorer, to no avail.
OK, first I have to say this is an awesome read, but I have to plead ignorance on the acronym/word NALT. I've the intent from the context, but I had a hard time finding anything specific.
Re Christianity and Judaism. It's a little more complicated than you present, but I'll give you this argument since it's against this specific audience.
BTW, for a very good and scholarly view of the relationship between Israel and Christianity, see Kenneth E. Bailey's books, especially "Jesus through Middle Eastern Eyes" and "Paul through Mediterranean Eyes, Cultural Studies in 1 Corinthians". Dr. Bailey taught for decades in the Middle East, and shows Jesus, Paul, and other early Christian writings in their cultural context.
Good advice.
Aside: I would be interested in knowing how your "Muslim mystic" friend justifies his practices when almost the entirety of his religion militates otherwise. The problem with Islam, of course, is that the likes of Al Qaeda are the fundamentalists, the true believers. Your friend is a heretic and can be proven to be such by the Koran and the Hadith. When Martin Luther tried to reform the Roman Catholic church, he did so by citing scripture and the early church fathers. He even learned Hebrew so as to be able to read the Old Testament in its original language. It would be impossible to do that in Islam and end up with a non-violent result unless you somehow received a new revelation from Allah.
OF course, Martin Luther was one of the most vicious anti-semites in history. I would guess he was the first German to propose - and not at all thoeretically - putting Jews in camps (he called them "stables").
I said "Muslim mystic" not "Mystic Muslim." Most Muslim mystics -- who generally reject Sharia and literal interpretations of the Koran -- throughout the centuries have been regarded as heretics and persecuted the same way the rest of us have. So as a mystic he also combines other faiths' mystical traditions. As I do too. One can draw from Sufism without embracing Muslim religion.
Martin Luther did try to return to the source. Unfortunately, he kept some of the Papist baggage and threw out some of the ancient traditions and practices of the early Christian Fathers. Given his era and circumstances, he did quite well. There are several pre-papist churches in existence. Most are in countries where Obama has stirred up the Muslim Brotherhood. It is possible to learn from them what Christianity was like before Rome was conquered by barbarians (my ancestors) who influenced and forced the Pope to alter Christian practices and beliefs.
I have a couple of theology degrees. I've read the Tanakh ("Old Testament"), the New Testament and the Qur'an. I've read a lot of the marginal, unaccepted and heretical writings of the three religions also. In my opinion, Dave Swindle has a pretty good grasp of the subject from what I've read.
For all of the historical faults of Christianity, it paved the way for the modern world of information and technology.
No objection, but you don't sound like you've studied Judaism at all.
Very much appreciated! I've been researching to try and understand the roots of Christianity and Judaism and their conflicts with polytheism. I see a lot of parallels with today...
1 2 3 Next View All