Stand-Up Comic vs. Air Force Colonel: Who’s the Real Joker?

Doesn't the United States Air Force have bigger threats to target than Mitch Fatel?

Kathy Shaidle

August 22, 2013 - 12:30 pm
YouTube Preview Image

And frankly, I find Colonel Ciero’s article condemning Fatel’s sexually charged comedy routine pretty darned troubling in its own right.

Here’s how his report begins (and no, I’m not making this up):

Call me Darius. King Darius ruled the greatest empire the world ever knew and then was routed. In 331 BC, the Persian King, with an empire stretching from Europe to China, encountered a rogue band of conquerors led by a long-haired Mede named Alexander. Alexander assaulted, retreated and then assaulted again until he crossed the Persian lines. The oblique attack caught the king off-guard and instead of taking charge, Darius fled.

Call me Darius.

Last Saturday night I left the comedy show at our Liberty Club…

Uh, ok.

Ciero goes on to describe Fatel’s “offensive” routine in euphemistic, out of context, fatally unfunny detail.

He is particularly disgusted by what he interprets to be a “date rape” joke.

(In his lengthy, thoughtful defense posted at Laughspin, Mitch Fatel insists, “You will not find a bigger fan of the United States Military than myself.” I add that Fatel’s flaky onstage persona is pretty obviously a character, and not “himself.”)

Anyway, the colonel goes on (and again, you can read it for yourself right here):

I left the show. I could have taken charge, upheld the line of our new military culture of professionalism and respect, and interrupted the comedian.

As Airmen and leaders, we are taught to intervene – Every Airman a Sensor – Be a Good Wingman – Intervene, Act, Motivate – STOP! Make the Right Call. On all accounts, I failed to stand up and take the sword from the attacker, the microphone from the comedian. Instead, I departed and reported.

Unfortunately, just one week earlier I stood in the same room and evoked Gen. George Washington’s memory as an example to our NCO-selects on how to lead our Airmen and uphold a culture of discipline and respect.

In 1778, the defeated Continental Army was encamped at Valley Forge…

If such programs are truly necessary, then there is something wrong with the United States Armed Forces.

This is true. The current leadership of all the armed forces is held by candy-ass yes men who care only about their careers and salary, and not their real duty to or fighting ability and welfare of their troops. Even the Marine Corps is falling over the cliff; I sure feel sorry for all our fighting men, who are being abandoned by their sickening, cowardly general officer corps.
The fact that General Casey and all the senior ranks at Fort Hood have not been Court Martialled is proof enough that the Armed Forces are seriously in trouble. Perhaps they should all follow Private Manning and start wearing dresses.
ᴡ­ʜ­ᴀᴛ ­Jᴜᴀɴ ­ᴀ­ɴsᴡᴇʀᴇᴅ I'ᴍ ­s­ʜᴏᴄ­ᴋ­ᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ­ᴀ­ ­sᴛᴀʏ ­ᴀ­ᴛ­ ʜᴏᴍᴇ ­ᴍᴏᴍ ­ᴀ­ʙ­ʟ­ᴇ ᴛᴏ ­ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ­$­9­0­2­3 ɪɴ 4 ­ᴡ­ᴇ­ᴇ­ᴋs ᴏɴ ­ᴛʜᴇ ­ᴄ­ᴏ­ᴍ­ᴘ­ᴜᴛᴇʀ. ­ʜᴀᴠᴇ ­ʏ­ᴏ­ᴜ­ ­s­ᴇᴇɴ ᴛʜɪs ­ᴡᴇʙ ­s­ɪ­ᴛ­ᴇ>>> http://qr.net/kOCg
There have been many problems involving sexual attacks in the military. A small number of DIShonorables make all look bad. Here's the Bad news and it's been going on for years from Pentagon pukes on down.http://www.militarycorruption.com/
I add that Fatel’s flaky onstage persona is pretty obviously a character, and not “himself."

Have to disagree with you here, Kathy. Fatel's "character" was created by Fatel. And could take on any persona that he wishes. Therefore he is more of an "alter-ego", revealing the comedian’s sensibilities, than a mere "character".
Which means the higher levels, or generals & admirals,are blithering idiots then, rj.
Just assuming this is a reply to rjhfl. There are some good people at the higher levels. Unfortunately, most officers above the grade of O6, with few exceptions, are merely politicians in uniform...that's how they got there...I would not say that they are all blithering idiots, but under the current administration, they are typical, PC, "team players". If they were civilians, they would be in politics. As I mentioned, the military has its share of fools and mediocre individuals. The good news is that at the top, they can be replaced by good people with the proper civilian leadership...and they will be.
Your average US military officer doesn't know enough about being a soldier than a pimple on a good private's arse. In 5 yrs., the French could probably kick our butts!
Please do not denigrate our military based on the actions of a few boneheads. As a military retiree who has also worked in the civilian world, I can say that the percentage of men and women in the military of good character, judgement, and honor is immensely greater than that of the civilian world. That being said, the military has its share of fools at all levels. In addition, for the most part, the higher levels of the military ranks generally reflect the views of the political administration due to the nature of the beast.
Didn't know Mitch Fatel was even still around! I remember him from tha DR. Katz show, it never even occured to me to You Tube the guy! thnx!

Frankly Kathy, the US air force has been a joke for most of its six plus decades. If you disbelieve me, read the recent bio of John Boyd or Robin Olds memoir.
Ask an Iraqi tank commander how funny the joke was.