Answering The Call To The Writer’s Journey

Trusting yourself and your voice is at least half the battle.

Sarah Hoyt and Charlie Martin

July 26, 2013 - 3:00 pm
<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

Once you open the magical door, you never know what might walk in.

Once you open the magical door, you never know what might walk in.

(C: My first experience with this was a True Confession story I wrote in the mid-70′s.  All of a sudden I was writing down what I was “watching” and I was excited because I didn’t know what they were going to do either, except I know the boy and girl would end up living happily ever after, because that’s just how I roll.  My second was a story about Hemingway in which my Hemingway character said things that I later found, almost word for word, in an interview Hemingway gave shortly before his death. It was a fairly obscure interview, and Hemingway fan though I am, I’m quite positive it could not possibly have been something I’d read.)

I could go on. Part of this is, I’ll grant you, your subconscious at work.  Any really good writer has to let go and learn to trust his subconscious. The subconscious adds echoes and fills in thin places and sometimes makes the world “real” even if your conscious beliefs are at odds with reality.  (All the progressive authors who write believable heroes and villains, for instance. Joss Whedon’s creation of Firefly.)

But another part is something else. If I were a Jungian I’d suspect I’d been traipsing through the collective subconscious.

These gifts of the deep levels of the brain are so strange and inexplicable that one of my friends – Kate Paulk – calls it Gateway Writing.

Having run into a few of these, Charlie and I were discussing it, and thought it would make for an interesting series on the creative process and how to trust your own inner writer. Because trusting yourself and your voice is at least half the battle to becoming a writer – or a good one.  This is part of Dean Wesley Smith’s article this week, and if you’re a writer you absolutely should go read it. (C: What she said.)

I propose that we follow the structure of the Hero’s Journey for these posts.  (There is a book called The Writer’s Journey) which I read many years ago, and which compared the development of the writer with the mythical Hero’s Journey  I haven’t touched it in years, but I’ve brought it out and put it on my desk today. I shall refresh my memory.)

Like the hero about to embark on an adventure the writer starts in the real world. This is the quotidian reality all men experience.  Can we set off to create new worlds if we do not enter another world?  Can we answer the call and remain unchanged?

*****

images courtesy shutterstock / MoreenBlackthorne / Ellerslie

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page
Sarah Hoyt and Charlie Martin write and blog on science, science fiction, self-improvement, culture, and politics for PJ Lifestyle. Send an email to book.plug.friday@gmail.com for submission guidelines for Book Plug Friday, a weekly listing of independently published e-books.

My experience confirms what's said here.

I'd like to give myself more experience.
Sarah, try Robert Graves "The White Goddess".

Warning: if you don't 'get' things like Yeats/Keats/Coleridge/Dylan etc you won't 'get' what Graves is saying.
Were I a writer, trusting my instincts would be the great attraction. Tapping into your inner self creates a new thing; writer's workshops act to undo that. The problem is that there is the business side which requires a certain degree of conformity. Jack Vance was as bold a voice in his generation as there was. His paychecks were not so bold. Orson Scott Card is nowhere near the writer Vance was, yet managed to cross over and tap into both the genre and mainstream money, a mystery to me to this day. But no Vance movies coming out. In fact Card makes money despite being hated by a large portion of the SF community. Imagine if he had as neutral a face as Vance.

I guess you just have to love a thing enough to roll with the punches, not try and make too much sense of it all, hope for the best and keep your foot off the brake. Somewhere in all that is fun and hopefully reward.

If one is talking strictly about art, and if one believes each human is unique, it remains only to fashion a way to tap into that part of you which is truly unique. Easier said than done. I think the irony there is that we already know the answer. When you look at the large wide world, the obvious first thoughts you have in reaction to it is you. You just have to write up that unique combination of likes and dislikes that make you you, the bolder the better. At least, that's my take on it. It seems overthinking would act to impede the path to yourself. If characters appear from nowhere, already fully formed, that seems a good thing.
"If I were a Jungian I’d suspect I’d been traipsing through the collective subconscious." I've come to believe there is something to the notion. It would help to explain why random or unplanned stimuli (cards, runes, Story Cubes, freewriting, dreams, et al.) can be such a useful aid to writing -- though of course a more hard-headed person than myself could still explain the effect as merely the product of stimulating neural pathways one wasn't previously stimulating. In either case the results can be great.