The Occasion Formerly Known as Independence Day

What are we even celebrating anymore?

Walter Hudson

July 4, 2013 - 6:00 am

trumbull-large1

Those are only two of the most prominent occasions which we could dub Dependence Day. We could then celebrate with honesty our new “progressive” culture, a culture which the founders would not recognize as a descendant of their own, a culture which would welcome British occupation if it came with a guarantee of healthcare, housing, tuition, and retirement.

Listening to leftist celebrities recite the Declaration of Independence, you have to wonder whether they or many of our fellow Americans retain any sense of what those words actually mean.

We hold these truths to be self-evident,

… unquestionable matters of fact ascertained through rational consideration of reality.

…that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

… the success of which cannot be guaranteed in any event, and which any attempt to guarantee would necessarily violate the former.

–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

… which necessarily limits its power to that which the governed bequeath. Such government may never justly do what an individual could not.

–That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it… when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Consider just a few examples of the abuses and usurpations cited in the Declaration:

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

SB 1070. Proposition 8. The list of statutes or state constitutional amendments which the federal government has “forbidden” grows every year.

Mr. Hudson, I read your columns regularly and agree with much you write.

After 20 years in the Marines, including two combat tours, I find myself in a similar state of mind as some of those Japanese soldiers who lived in the jungle for decades after WWII rather than surrender.

On the one hand, determined to fight on no matter the cost.

On the other, deeply disappointed in what my country has become.

"For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected never know" -- note found in the pocket of a dead Marine, Khe Sanh, 1968.
Sorry about your illness. However, I would like to offer that dissatisfaction, if not outright despair, is the precursor to all change, and thus to reform.
My wife and I came home from breakfast out this morning to find our new American flag laying beside our flower garden. Guess the 'new string' was U.S. Government made. I looked over at my wife and said, "Fitting for the state of the country...buried with self-made memorial." So I made a trip to Home Depot. True story - probably an omen.

Just when I think we've sunk to the bottom of the abyss as a nation, as I felt last November 6th, our transparently incompetent "mostly openly transparent" President said this, if I understood correctly last week...

[“But what we won’t do,” he said, “is just stand by if our embassy is being attacked or our people are in vulnerable situations.”]

I'm beginning to believe Barack Obama might be mildly retarded, in addition to his unworldly megalomania - how else do you explain that profound ignorance and/or unmitigated gall? President Baghdad Bob Obama?

An apathetic and broken nation that would not only elect but reelect this level of abject stupidity and abysmal failure has nothing to celebrate and much to fear.
just as Cindy implied I am amazed that some one able to get paid $8051 in 4 weeks on the computer. did you see this link... http://www.Can99.com
I have witnessed the tenor of op ed/opinion columns change radically in the last year or two. What had been, for years, common expressions of ordinary calls for redress of grievances in those articles, except for those on the fringes, has become a clarion of alarm amongst even the mainstream. Historians will recognize the first weapon of revolution identified by the saying that no King wields a scepter as mighty as the pen. It is unsheathed and already in combat with the government. The oddity is how the legislature seems oblivious while the executive attacks and counterattacks.
It is given to men to suffer ills while ills are sufferable. We are exhausting all patence in the hope of reforming through the civil means yet at our disposal. It would do us and our children well to redouble our efforts on that front. Failing that; Despair not. The countrymen are armed to the teeth and do daily seek advise should civil means fail.
George III was a piker compared to the rapacious hordes that now control the government of the American federal state. He only asked for a mere tea tax of about three cents; our present rulers bilk billions of dollars from the poor inhabitants of this land. The redcoats actually protected our borders from foreign invasion, videlicet, French and Spanish and Russian; our military has the job of providing social welfare benefits to the privileged classes. England projected a proud culture and history of humanistic achievements; the americans project the reality tv culture of trash. God save the King.
BBQs and fireworks? Who gets to enjoy those anymore? Don't you know they're illegal in most places?
The only thing that will save what is left of America is a new American revolution. But it will never happen, sadly...
I told ya I isn't a good writer
Correction: Our "FREEDOM" and "INDEPENDENCE
Mr Hudson,
Great article. The other day being patriotic I looked up "The Declaration of Independence", I knew the intro and preamble but I never read the indictments. I thought, can I write a revised TDI with new and current indictments. And make it go viral. I'm no writer, but I started to list abuses. So low and behold tonight on " Independence Day" (I had to work, got home cracked a beer, had some ribs ready to fire up on the bbq) turn on the computer while waiting for the food. Well I didn't want to go to a political site, just check emails yada yada. Ok... lets see what PJ got say today. Couldn't resist. BAM... I watch Wittle's video.. there's a list. I pull up your article..BAM this is what I was thinking.

So your the pros create a revised 'TDI' with new Indictments as a petition to be signed by your following and sent to congress and White House.
Hey what can we lose.... but are "FREEDOM"
Mr. Hudson, I read your columns regularly and agree with much you write.

On the one hand, determined to fight on no matter the cost.

On the other, deeply disappointed in what my country has become.

1 2 3 Next View All