Charlie Martin

June 27, 2013 - 8:30 pm

shutterstock_20825122

Talking the talk

With that out of the way, let’s start by getting some terminology right. To understand how the intelligence business really works, let’s make an extended metaphor. Imagine that you know someone has lost a bearer bond, redeemable by whoever has it, worth a billion dollars — hell, make it ten billion, no, a hundred billion, so as not to get into Dr. Evil’s embarrassment. What’s more, you know it’s been shredded, and scattered in a big open lot as part of paper mulch.

This is more or less the situation you start with in intelligence. You know things are happening, and that knowing them would be worth a lot to you — after all, the 9/11 attack cost the U.S. economy three thousand people and over a trillion dollars.

For $100 billion, you know it’s worth some effort, so you put together a big team of people to try to piece it together, or at least piece enough of it together to get it reissued. So you send a whole bunch of people out with shop vacs to vacuum the entire field. The stuff from the field comes back in bags, but as well as the bits of the bond, you’ve hoovered up not just the mulch, but sticks, stones, twigs, seeds, leaves, ants, beetles, and the occasional sleepy field mouse.

You take these sweepings back to a warehouse, which you have populated with expert janitors, champion jigsaw puzzlers with jewelers’ loupes already screwed into one eye, and a few CPAs and lawyers to determine if you really have found the bond you’re looking for. (There’s a “Bond, James Bond” joke to be made here, but I think I’ll leave it as an exercise for the interested reader.)

This is really more or less what doing intelligence is like. You collect all the sweepings because, well, if you knew where to find the good stuff you would just get that, but you don’t, so you can’t. The people with shop vacs are, technically, doing what’s called acquisition; bagging it and returning it to the warehouse is called collection.

Here, by the way, is where we can point out the first bit of mis-or dis-information: James Clapper, the director of National Intelligence, has basically claimed that by taking all of the Verizon metadata they’re doing acquisition but not collection, so it’s not true that they’re “collecting” everyone’s phone records.

To which I say “yeah, right.” They’re putting it in the warehouse; just because they claim they aren’t actually looking at it doesn’t impress me.

Meanwhile, back in the warehouse, the junior-varsity puzzlers have been digging through the bags of stuff, which they have dumped out on big tables; there are occasional shrieks of terror when the field mouse, awakened by being vacuumed up and put in a bag, makes a break for it and scampers off into the darkened recesses of the warehouse. The JV puzzlers now start looking through the material on their tables, looking for anything that looks like it might be a part of a bond, picking up shredded canceled checks and those annoying looks-like-a-check direct mail advertisements as well. This stuff they put to the side. They also pick up occasional small change, lost earrings, and so forth, and put them aside in another pile; it’s not what you’re looking for but it’s nice to find.

In intelligence, this is the process called analysis.

The collected information is taken in with a very wide net. This net, when it deals with electronic communications, is run by NSA and called “signals intelligence,” SIGINT; if you’re instead asking people for information, that’s “human intelligence,” HUMINT, and it’s the job of CIA. The business of NSA is primarily collection — although they also crack codes, which could be called analysis, and they are the responsible agency for matters of computer security.

The primary business of the CIA is analysis — although they also have other jobs, in particular the National Clandestine Service, which used to be called the Directorate of Operations. Those are the real James Bond, shoot-em-up, covert ops spies. You can, believe it or not, find the CIA’s org chart online here.

While we took that little digression, our JV jigsaw puzzlers have taken their piles of scraps of paper to the champion puzzlers, who are now piecing together the shreds of paper until they have something that looks like a bond. Those they take to the CPAs and the lawyers, who take the pieced-together stuff to the Boss — in the real world, political appointees like the National Security advisor, the secretaries of State and Defense, and eventually the POTUS.

And I think if people are going to complain about the contents of an article, they should read it.
Try harder, FC. It's worth reading.
A good description of the overall process and good definition of metadata. Here are a couple of other thoughts from someone that builds statistical models for speech processing:

1) I am almost sure that the NSA is also building models to detect "unusual" call patterns from the metadata, perhaps run only on calls that have one terminus out of the U.S., as is authorized by FISA. The definition of unusual would be those patterns that tend to predict forthcoming terror attacks. I'm sure you could build such a model that would have a tolerable ROC curve (balance of false alarms with missed detections).

2) It would be valuable in building such a model to include _all_ calls' metadata, not just calls with a foreign terminus. You would presumably use at least some of the US-only metadata records as part of the "baseline" model - i.e. calls in that category would be deemed "usual". In general, the modern pattern recognition algorithms can always benefit from having more relevant data, as long as they have good heuristics for cleaning it up.

3) I can think of no reason why these detection algorithms would need to be built and run on unencrypted metadata. As long as the encryption is consistent, the algorithms could be built and run on encrypted data (area codes and country codes might need to be readable, but not the 7-digits, times, specific-locations, etc.) They would work just as well, certainly within the range of the inherent uncertainty.

4) This suggests that a less invasive approach to this program would be to have the network providers encrypt the metadata at the source prior to sending to the government databases. Then, when an "unusual" pattern fires, the NSA needs to go to the FISA court to get a "decryption" warrant which they present to the phone/internet company, who then decrypts the records specified in the warrant.

Now, I know that, given enough encrypted/decrypted pairs, the smart guys at the NSA would eventually be able to break to code, and decrypt everything themselves. Or, if they really wanted to, given area/country codes and known phone-number and calling patterns, they could eventually figure out the encryption without decrypted records. You could work around that by forcing the entire database to be updated with a new encryption key after each warrant is served.

But, you could never absolutely prevent this. At some point, you need to have confidence that your government is not dedicated to violating the 4th amendment (and FISA). And, even if you believe that NSA scientists would not spend valuable time doing this, you would need to have faith that their politician bosses were not going to give them a "do it or leave" ultimatum.

I don't have such faith, and the behavior of the past two administration has done nothing to dissuade me of that.

But, more importantly, if we were willing to clearly name the enemy in this war, and use all necessary force to decisively annihilate it, then none of these programs would be necessary.
Yottabytes of metadata. Greek to me.
It's simple question time.
Todays simple question is directed at those who have issues with the NSA in general and these programs in particular

What Do You Want To Do?
Substantive real world answer only please. (well deserved) rants against Obama, & follow the Constitution don't count.

I've been asking this question since this story broke, and so far, I've not gotten a real answer.
Me? I want to have bacon for breakfast.

As far as the NSA thing, it's not what I want to do, it's what I want them not to do.
Suppose that Americans make a 100 billion phone calls a day, and each call requires 1000 bytes of metadata (that’s probably a lot more than needed). That’s roughly 100 terabytes of metadata per day, or 365 x 100 (35600) terabytes per year. That amount of data can be stored in a space about as big as my front closet.

The news is filled with articles about the enormous data storage facility that NSA is constructing in Utah. So far, everything we know that they are grabbing, if stored efficiently, would fit in a one-car garage. Is this another colossal government waste of space, or could NSA maybe not be telling us the whole story?

Heh, in the day job we build a box that will store 4 times that in a 4U rack-mount box. We like Big Data.
OK, so that means those huge buildings have even more space. What else is NSA packing in there, in addition to "metadata". I'd postulate that they are capturing and storing digital content of all kinds, in truly massive amounts, and including the actual content of cellphone communications (which is digitized by your phone, ready for storage), emails, text messages, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube videos, etc. When the FBI, CIA, NSA gets curious about an individual, they can obtain a secret warrant to search this huge database for every event you generate, including the content, not just the metadata, for several years. Pretty soon, you'll have a DNA profile as well, if you ever get your blood drawn (or even your stools checked) at your doctor's office.
Something in between, I suspect. Capturing *everything* would be exabytes (10^18 bytes) a year; I worked it in a comment in the PRISM piece and that would mean consuming the entire production of disk drives, and building a whole new major power plant just for the NSA ever two or so years. http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2013/07/04/what-is-prism/
Dropped a decimal point. You'd need eight of our boxes. Still less than one rack.
If you actually go to there you will see that 'peta' is a Greek word like 'meta'.
I ordinarily would not take on someone like Charlie Martin, but these are trying times. And I am trying. And, yes, 'found wanting' is an easy answer. The ongoing discussion of metadata is much more important than most people understand.
WOW, so your THAT Charlie Martin. Should have recognized your picture.

I have been thinking about TRANSEC in the modern Internet age for a few years now. This whole Metadata thing has gotten me thinking about it again. E.g., how much intelligence can be deduced fro the metadata of an xml document?
Well, it -- he said like a good consultant -- depends. But think about an OPML document -- the metadata, the structure of the XML, gives a pretty clear picture of the document, enough so that in something like an outliner there may be little there *but* metadata.
Mr. Charlie Martin, I implore you to explain why the NSA program to collect specific instances of telephone numbers, times and locations is not a data (versus metadata) collection program? I have heretofore respected you much as an excellent scientist and writer!
And I implore you to figure out that you're arguing with a generally-accepted technical definition. By definition metadata is indeed data: it's data about data. You're arguing that I'm saying ground beef isn't beef because it's ground.
How many billion dollars is our government going to spend collecting yottabytes of our metadata?
It's take a yotta them.

A yottabyte is a billion petabytes, so that's still probably beyond even the government.
Looks like it's time for another Professor PJ Dumb Post Award.

Look, poopsie. It's called metadata because it's data about the data. That doesn't make it any less "data". I assume you can manage a computer, since you're commenting here, so go look at any folder you like in your file browser, Windows Explorer, Finder, or at the command line get a directory listing.

You get a listing of file names. Say one of those names is nsa.txt, and the contents of it are the words "Come get me NSA, this is my data." The words in the file are the data. The name of the file, which is kept in a special kind of file called a "directory" is the metadata. Why is it "metadata"? Because it doesn't tell you what's in the file, it tells you the name of the file. If I change the file name to "myNameIsCharlie.txt"; the content of the file doesn't change.

Now, is the metadata important too? You bet. Among other things, in six months when I'm looking for my NSA column, I'm going to have one hell of a time finding it named "myNameIsCharlie.txt";. If you read the entire article, you'll see that I even cited a paper showing surprising results of what could be learned just from the metadata, and that I'm against collecting it.

Really.

Data is actual stuff. Metadata is theoretical stuff. Actual phone numbers are data, actual locations are data, actual transaction times are data.
Whoo, does this comment make me dumb? Hey Mr. Genius, perhaps you can figure it out all by yourself.
Yes. Congratulations.
Pretty easy dude. It is totally easy to be totally wrong.
First of all, thanks for the entertainment you two. With all due respect however, this is an argument primarily over semantics. When it comes to phone calls and emails, there is more "data" in the metadata than in the content.

As CM implies however, metadata holds the real value and for the government to dismiss it as unimportant to our privacy is disingenuous at best. By relating and triangulating metadata, their analysts learn more about us than our actual words would tell them.

So, "all other things being equal" I guess you both have a point.
"metadata holds the real value and for the government to dismiss it as unimportant to our privacy is disingenuous at best. "

Yes and no. Yes, metadata is tremendously important, but "the real value""? As compared to the content of the conversations? I don't think that's valid.

But are they being disingenuous? Well, no, they are lying, but I think we agree on that.

They want us to think it's no big deal, but it IS a very big deal. The metadata is capable of telling them a LOT about me and you and every other person they want to intimidate.

It's still metadata.
When you have one bad guy (as is pointed out in the article), the metadata is the starting point to finding the members of the organization. You don't (yet) care about call content. You care about things like how many times a guy called another guy, how regularly it happened, where he called from, how long he was on the phone, etc. You can quickly learn without analyzing call content who this guy has close relationships with, who are mere acquaintances, and who this guy has regular contact with.

FROM THERE you proceed to call content.
The dangerous part is (again, as is pointed out in the article) when the government suddenly puts members of the "Insert Your Organization Here" organization on their hit list. In other words, when YOU are on the political enemies' list. That's why the Constitution has the Fourth Amendment to begin with. Because next thing you know, you're in a prayer group, and you get rounded up along with your wife, kids, parents, in-laws and your insurance agent.
Probably the first order of business is 'everybody brush up on their Greek.' There are a number of Greek prefixes or words whose meanings I assume I understand. I'm wrong at least half the time.
One of my grandmothers studied Greek. She told me me that walking 'on' the water could also be translated as walking 'in' the water. Not being familiar with Gretian, I demur.
Thank you MRG01. I agree with you that Charlie Martin has a point. I also agree with you that I too have a point.
I'm glad I am old. You who are younger and buy into this stuff will get the life you deserve. So-called metadata collected by your government will eventually enslave you in the name of keeping you secure.
I take it all back. If you think I'm young, you're okay.
Charlie,
VERY insightful and educational article. I do have a few questions, however.
1) Considering that even the companies subject to it can't have a copy, would Snowden, even as a system administrator, have the proper clearance to access a FISA court order, even if it was stored in a NSA database?
2) Are you familiar with Verizon's Business Solutions clients being subjected to Chinese hacking? It was a huge story in tech and small business circles since the hacking involved all levels of businesses, from small to large and from online storefronts to companies with government contracts on intelligence programming. I found it highly interesting that the FISA court order was dated 4/25/2013 and was on Verizon Business Solutions accounts (copy here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2013/jun/06/verizon-telephone-data-court-order). My interest was piqued when doing research on the topic and realized that the Chinese hacking's coverage started on 4/23/2013, although it was quite an active topic in Verizon and small business forums previously.
Do you, in your expertise, see any potential connection? If not, I'll back off my own suppositions and guesswork on that angle.
By definition, if you get cleared for SYSTEM HIGH, you're cleared to read anything in the system. Theoretically, that's undesirable, because of compartmentalization, but as I say, it's also a pain to have to find the particular admin cleared for a particular compartment when someone has lost their password or something. Plus, sysadmins are relatively expensive; what happens iof one quits and you can't get permission to hire another.

I hadn't thought about the Verizon/China connection, I'd be interested in your speculations myself.
My speculations are almost completely laid out above.
The FISA court order is for Verizon Business Solutions accounts, not all Verizon accounts. It is one of the three subsidiaries of Verizon. The other two are Verizon Wireless and Verizon Telecomm (I think. I get confused when it gets too far up the food chain.)
At any rate, the accounts to be pulled are only business accounts from a separate division of Verizon. Everything that I've read on it where the author of the piece understands the difference goes into speculation on whether all Verizon accounts were under different court orders, but that is all it is: speculation.
The fact that China has been hacking US government (local, state and federal) institutions as well as private business accounts is pretty well known. However, Verizon apparently was targeted specifically earlier this year, with massive hacking attempts (and successes) coming out in the news around the end of April. This is a blog but it links to multiple articles so shortcuts me having to link them here. http://readwrite.com/2013/02/19/is-there-nothing-we-can-do-to-stop-chinese-hackers#awesm=~oaqRY2lOdmN9lo
So, the fact is that Verizon Business Solutions accounts were being deliberately targeted by Chinese hackers and the FISA court order clearly naming that subsidiary of Verizon as the subject of the order in the same time frame.
There is also nothing that I have seen that would contradict a possible conclusion that Verizon went to the government for assistance and the court order is just legal cover for Verizon (most businesses require subpoenas when LEO needs to access client information even when they are the victims) when the government agreed that the hacking is/was an issue it needed to address. By law neither Verizon nor the NSA could publicly confirm such a scenario if it were true.

I just had a thought: What if the goal isn't to either reveal that the NSA is spying on US citizens (which has not been proven as yet) or even that the NSA is spying on foreign nationals (which any nation with a net GDP of over $100 does) but to bring down the huge service and software industries here in the US? They ARE our economy in large part now.

Not that I approve of them collecting all of my data. IMO it's the equivalent of a store clerk constantly following me around the grocery store, picking items up out of my shopping cart and telling me they have a coupon for it or a different brand. Creepy.
Point of order here, Verizon Wireless is a separate company, not a subsidiary. It's a joint venture between Vodaphone and Verizon.
I guess this means there is actually a secret national gun registry in development (based on background checks and credit card transactions)? And since the NSA (under the executive branch of the government) is now the digital archive of everything digital, domestic and foreign, are those digital records now subject to discovery motions in criminal court proceedings by the defense? So, with fast furious in mind, you think there might be a digital record of what the president knew or didn't know about Fast and Furious, or Benghazi? Do you really think Snowden will make it back alive for trial?
Except it would be ILLEGAL and prosecutable under NSA laws. If you find any documented confirmation, I suggest you hie immediately to your Congress man/woman and/or someone you trust on the Intel Committee(s) who have oversight over such potential abuses.
Those are very interesting questions, aren't they?
Mr. Martin, thank you for your insight on this topic. I had a rudimentary understanding of the structure and potential capabilities of our communication systems and this fleshed it out nicely.
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All