Charlie Martin

June 25, 2013 - 12:45 pm
YouTube Preview Image

From films and debris, it appeared that the solid rocket motors had failed first, sending a blowtorch of hot gas into the external tank, which then exploded. The solid rocket motors were built of a stack of components containing the solid fuel, which were then joined to make the whole rocket motor; it appeared, in fact, that one of the joints had failed.

One proposed explanation was that the cold has made the O-ring seals at the joints stiff. During a public, televised hearing, management people from the solid rocket manufacturers discounted this idea. Feynmann, who was one of the members of the all-star panel doing the investigation, quietly got a salt shaker and a glass of ice. They had a sample of the O-ring material that had been provided as a prop for the hearing. Feynmann put the salt into the ice, making a concentrated salt solution with a temperature much lower than the normal freezing point of water. Feynmann, without making a fuss about it, dropped his sample of O-ring in the water and let it chill.

Here’s the strong-inference part of this. The Thiokol managers’ hypothesis was that the O-ring material remained “sufficiently” flexible at the temperature it would have reached on that unusually cold Florida morning. Feynmann’s experiment simply said “okay, so let’s get a piece of this stuff cold and see what happens.”

The answer, which Feynmann proceeded to demonstrate in a nationally televised hearing, was that the stuff got to be very brittle. Feynmann took what had been a soft, rubbery material at room temperature, and it broke like glass.

So much for the managers’ hypothesis.

What you are getting at is known as the Null Hypothesis. We have records of prior inter-glacial periods in the ice cores, varves, oceanic sediment, and various forms of terrestrial sediment to help show past climates for the planet. Prior inter-glacial periods have a definite pattern to them and singular events, like volcanic eruptions or boloid impacts, can be seen in the record by the changes they produce. Our record can be compared to those similar periods and the proposition put forth that our inter-glacial period is in no way different from prior ones. By putting high/low bars on climate and mapping our current set of records against past records, the onus is on those who wish to prove any difference between our current climate and past similar ones.

To date no changes in climate for this inter-glacial period are going significantly outside those error bars. Even worse is that a typical high point is reached and then climates trend colder to the next ice age, and our climate is mapping to just such a high point and start of a fall-off. Until there is evidence to demonstrate, clearly and over a few centuries, that our climate is going outside those error bars, the Null Hypothesis stands.
Progressives use a different criteria for what makes science "scientific" depending on their objective. If you want to disprove the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin? Then it's carbon dating, material sampling, spectral analysis. Regular scientific method. If it's global warming, then computer models and a "consensus" will suffice. Is a fetus a human being? Then look to the courts and linguists for the answer. Progressives cannot rely on the scientific method because too much is at stake to risk the"wrong" conclusion. So they call anything science that supports their theories with no consistency of methodology. And by calling whatever they wish science, then they can persuade the scientific and reason challenged.
On 'warming', you raise an interesting point. My online dictionary defines it as "having or giving out a moderate degree of heat" or "conserving or maintaining warmth or heat", but it's true the common use of the word makes one think in terms of temperature. Perhaps we should say 'global heating' if that's what we mean.

Re the relative contribution of man-made contribution to the GHG effect, every textbook I have has a huge amount of experimental data on this, all suggesting that the man-made contribution is very significant relative to natural processes. I see no reason to doubt the experts, I guess that comes down to your level of trust in scientists.

One final point; just supposing a hitherto unsuspected natural cause of natural warming became evident (seems unlikely after all this study), surely the last thing we want to do is add to it? We already know how the GHG effect works, and we know we have signicantly increased the GHG conc. So it seems to me that doing nothing would be a bit like a doctor saying "Keep on smoking because we don't know for sure that your lung cancer is not caused by something else"....
Yeah, the temperature vs heat thing used to confuse me too -- I had to finally figure it out back when I was writing about the Fukushima accident and trying to explain radiation exposure by analogy.

But you're correct with your point about the heat content in any case -- if GHGs are causing the net heat balance to change significantly, it has to go *someplace*; if the GAST isn't rising then it must be something else.

As to my level of trust in scientists, well, my PhD work was in Computer Science, but I was working with big ugly nonlinear systems then; I like to think of myself as kinda-sorta a scientist, notwithstanding the old jokes about "if it has science in the name it's not one." As someone who *has* actually "done science", as well as someone who started as a philosophy major interested in, among other things, philosophy of science, I can tell you how much any real scientist trusts scientists -- it's right up to the point at which a result can't be verified, a hypothesis is falsified, a flaw in the methodology is identified, or statistical examination makes it appear the null hypothesis can't be excluded.

But that's a topic for another column. No matter what the energy balance is, the predictions that said the increase in retained energy would cause an increase in GAST now disagree with the observations, outside those predictions' 95 percent confidence interval. Which means we need new models and new hypotheses. Which, if you read through the article, is all I said.
Charlie, re "And strictly you can't have *warming* per se without the temperature going up":
I'm afraid you certainly can, this is one of the big worries. In physics, latent heat is the name given to the heat taken in during a phase change. Typically, quite a large amount of heat absorption occurs withut any temp change at all, even in a lab. Thus, the loss of land-ice we have already measured at the poles represents a great deal of heat absorbed, and there may be much more we haven't yet been able to measure.

I agree with you on simple demonstrations. I usually demonstrate the latent heat effect to students by starting the lecture with a very large glass full of ice at zero degrees Celcius. Before the end of the class, we note that most of the ice has melted to liquid, while its temperature hasn't changed a jot. the point is that significant heating has ocurred that cannot be measured as a temp rise.....nasty
nd strictly you can't have *warming* per se without the temperature going up": I'm afraid you certainly can, this is one of the big worries.

Well, no, actually you can't. "To warm" is to increase the temperature. Yes, you *can* increase the heat content without warming; the most obvious case is, as you note, during a phase change, eg, ice to liquid water, and water to steam. But what's distinctive in those cases is that it's *not* warming. In fact, you sort of give it away -- by definition, latent heat is heat that is absorbed without temperature change.

But it's a bit of a red herring anyway, since I explicitly pointed to the models that predict an actual rise in GAST as the ones that are failing. Part of the problem here is that you're defending a proposition I haven't attacked -- in fact I started out by saying that there was no realistic question that there has been actual warming, and no question that GHGs cause heat to be retained.

The question is the magnitude of the net change, and of that, the net change that can be attributed to anthropogenic forcings, and of that the net gain that can be attributed to human release of GHGs, and of *that* the magnitude of the net change caused by carbon emissions in particular.

The models for net warming based on the assumption that human carbon emissions are by far the dominant cause of net warming are the specific models that also show some degree of positive feedback, leading to the nice more or less exponential curve in the predictions. That curve is not matching observation.

The question, as I said, is why?

One of those possibilities is that the energy is going into melting ice -- but it takes some real Tennessee windage to make those numbers come out. Another is that its adding heat to the oceans, but as Willis Eschenbach notes here [http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/06/19/forcing-the-ocean-to-confess/], the numbers for actual heat content added are so small they are within measurement error and show no significant trend.

Again, I'm not saying there is no anthropogenic effect. I'm asking "can we distinguish an anthropogenic effect in the measurements from the null hypothesis?"
Hi Charlie, I was just reading through your piece again and it struck me that is is very clearly written and I like the idea of invoking the null hypothesis. However, it seems to me that one flaw in the argument might be that you apply the null hypothesis to one observable only, average global surface temperature. This follows logically from your statement '"the core of this hypothesis is a model... that computes what the average temperature should be based on the increase in CO2."
I think most climate scientists would say that temperature rise is *not* core - according to every textbook I have it is only one symptom of warming among many (such as a gradual melting of land-ice, a gradual rise in sea level, a reduction in infra-red radiation emitted to space etc - all observables that change very slowly). If you frame your null hypothesis in terms of all or most of the main expected symptoms, I suspect you would get a very different answer - perhaps a good topic for a future post?

P.S. On temp, I'm sympathetic to your comment "you can argue that these temperature measurements are themselves flawed, but then you can't use them as evidence for the warming since 1900 or 1930". I doubt if they are flawed, I think the point is that temperature is a useful, but incomplete measurement of heat - when temp rises, we assume heating, yet when it stays flat (or more accurately, rises very little), it does not necessarily mean that no warming is happening, because of processes such as the huge latent heat absorbed by melting of land ice and because of the absorption of heat by the deep oceans (water has a very high specific heat capacity). It's possible that many environmentalists and science journalists have put too much emphasis on temperature rise, but none of the main textbooks on climate do. Indeed, some climate scientists suggest that during 'phase II warming', temperature rise will be less and less obvious for several decades as the deep oceans and polar ice absorb heat. Silent but deadly. Regards, Cormac

Hm. Okay, I sort of understand what you're saying, but the model to which I was referring is GAST, and GAST is what is most commonly invoked. See, the the GAST project in Berkeley. Of course, Mann et al have based the dendroclimatology stuff on an inferred GAST measurement as well. And strictly you can't have *warming* per se without the temperature going up.

I'm aware of the arguments about heat content etc, but last I looked they're too small to account for the supposed difference too.
You have hinted at what I think is the real difficulty in these hypotheses: lack of accurate data. When we are talking about a global temperature, how are we measuring it? I can certainly buy into the core samples and such data giving us a pretty good long term view, but when we are talking about tiny, tiny changes over the very short time period for which we have accurate data, I simply cannot buy into any solid conclusions, and I tend to think people who are true believers are either ignorant of these types of things or are in denial as to the ability of anyone to measure nearly instantaneous changes in the whole Earth's temperature.
Then they start to claim other ridiculously dataless claims to "reinforce" their conclusions, like sea level. I'd REALLY like to know precisely how they measure average sea level when the entire globe is a giant bathtub spinning in space with an irregular and ever changing vessel shape, being pulled back ad forth by the moon, etc.
I always say that I don't know whether it's warming or cooling, because noone has yet shown me a good enough method for getting data precise enough to mean squat.
And screaming anecdotes, which always turn out to be false, at me is never going to change my mind. Real data certainly will.
Love the allergy reference. Cottonwood fluff doesn't cause allergy symptoms. Its the grass pollen that peaks at the same time the cottonwood is scattering seeds with fluff. You see the fluff but you don't see the pollen. At least that's what my scientific observations tell me. Analogy to CO2 and climate?
Well, consider I was born in Alamosa Colorado. SOMETHING sure has hell goes nuts about that time.
Have you seen the robot 'hands' made with balloons and coffee? When I first saw them I was struck by a statement that they had the idea (a phase transition they called jamming), and thinking about the phase transition led them to predict ground coffee as a substance they could change from 'loose' to solid
I'm not claiming it's true, but if things like that do happen wouldn't that be an experiment that 'proved' coffee as a jamming phase transition?
Also I understood that experiments followed the '?pattern?'predicted by Einsteins theories?
What?
Re falsification of GHGs as a cause, another nice experiment is to test atmospheric warming as a function of height (layers). For exterrnal sources such as solar cycles or perturbations in the earth's orbit, one would expect the greatest warming at the highest levels. In fact, measurements show evidence of a cooling of the stratosphere over the last 30 years, while the lower layers heat up. This is highly suggestive of a cause close to home - in fact, my understanding is that it's quite hard to construct a model that predicts stratospheric cooling and tropospheric warming without invoking a strong greenhouse effect(known as the Venus syndrome)
Many thanks for reply Charlie, and an interesting discussion. Re temperature predictions and observable warming, I think three things to remember are that surface temps do not tell the whole story, that about 90% of warming is thought to be occuring in the oceans, and that temperature rise is not always a good measure of heating. This is why symptoms such as rising sea levels and ice melt are also of great importance.
I have a newspaper article on this you might enjoy at http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/no-relief-as-climate-change-accelerates-1.1410069

More generally, physicists who study global warming say that instead of looking at a symptom (rise in global surface temperature etc) and casting around for the most likely cause, a better and simpler approach is to work from basic principles of physics. If we understand how the greenhouse effect works, and if we have established that the concentration of long-lived greenhouse gases in the atmosphere has increased by about 40% since pre-industrial levels, is there any good reason to suppose this has *not* affected global climate? That’s the basic question. Quantitatively speaking, every detailed climate model predicts that such an increase in GHG would indeed have a significant forcing effect on climate. Once you know this, it is no great surprise to measure symptoms such as a slight rise in surface temperature, a rise in deep ocean temperature, a rise in sea level and a rise in ice-melt. This does not rule out the possibilty that some warming could also be part of a natural cycle, but most of the alternatives you mention such as solar cycles and cosmic rays are a very poor match in terms of the cycle lifetimes...
The problem is that when a hypothesis has been falsified, the fact that others don't do well either doesn't make the hypothesis true. In the case of CO2 being the major, dominant, sole important forcing, the actual temperature measurements of the last 20 years show that temperature is about flat, even though CO2 continues to rise. You can argue that these temperature measurements are themselves flawed, but then you can't use them as evidence for the warming since 1900 or 1930.
Re falsification, a very interesting way of testing the greenhouse gas hypothesis, and the size of the effect, is to measure the heat emerging from our atmosphere into space as a function of wavelength. If no reduction is observeable in heat emitted at wavelengths associated with absorption by GHGs, this would be strong evidence that the theory is falsified. Since the 1970s, satellites have been measuring this. In fact, a pronounced dip in energy escaping from the atmosphere occurs at just the wavelengths associated with the major long-lived greenhouse gases. Not only that,this dip that has been growing steadily in tandem with the rise in atmospheric GHG concentration…direct empirical evidence of the effect of GHGs. There is a good summary of these experiments at http://www.skepticalscience.com/empirical-evidence-for-co2-enhanced-greenhouse-effect.htm
for a good summary.Another stron test is the observed cooling of the stratosphere; this presents strong evidence that the source of the warming is external to the planet.
And no one questions that the GHGs do affect that -- although see also Dick Lindzen's work. But none the less, the temperature predictions aren't working out. If there's no observable warming, there's no observable warming from anthropogenic GHGs.
1 2 3 4 Next View All