Clayton E. Cramer

June 19, 2013 - 3:00 pm

shutterstock_33673135

The CT scan confirmed what the doctor guessed: a 7 mm kidney stone at the top of the ureter, the tube that leads from the kidney down to the bladder.  A typical adult ureter is 3-4 mm in diameter, so you can see why having a rock lodged there hurts like you can’t believe. Worse, the blockage can lead to urinary tract infections; this is more than just extreme discomfort.

The ER gave me more painkillers, and prescribed Flomax, which relaxes the ureter so that it is a bit larger.  Small stones can sometimes pass as the ureter expands, but 7 mm?  Not likely — at least not without a lot of time and a lot more painful episodes. The instructions on the discharge paperwork told me to make an appointment with a urologist the following day “without fail!” When I was in having surgery the following day, my wife ended up talking with the wife of another kidney stone sufferer who had delayed calling the urologist – the second visit to the ER in three days finally made him do so.

We are fortunate in Boise that we seem to have lots of doctors relative to the number of patients.  While I had to do a bit of calling around, I was able to get scheduled with a urologist Thursday afternoon – and by wild coincidence, the same urologist that treated my daughter’s kidney stone problem a few months before.

Dr. Spencer did the surgery Thursday evening at 6:40 PM.  The procedure is a bit horrifying to read about, but I am hoping that it will be an incentive to do what experts recommend to avoid kidney stones, so that you don’t have to go through this.  Dr. Spencer ran a stent through my penis, into my bladder, up the ureter to the kidney.  With the stent in place, he then inserted a tool (a very small tool) that let him examine the stone, then play Space Invaders inside my kidney, zapping the stone with a laser until it was nothing but tiny fragments that would pass easily.

The good news is that, contrary to what the pharmacist told me, removing the stent wasn't all that painful. Trick to making it okay:

1. Full bladder.

2. Warm shower.

3. Urinate in the shower while pulling out. Relaxing the muscles that control bladder emptying means that nothing is fighting removal of the stent.

A few hours later was somewhat painful -- enough to require an oxycodone -- but that was just the irritation causing by removing this piece of plastic.
Hasn't anyone in Boise heard of ESWL? It means EXTRA CAPORIAL SHOCK WAVE LITHOTRIPSY! It does not use the water bath thingy. It is a machine that has two large globes on the ends of a half circle arm. They put you on a table with a curved cut out in the side and position your body so that the affected kidney is over the cutout. Then the device is rolled into position so one globe is above your body and the other is below and positioned over the kidney. Sound waves are then directed at the kidney and they break up the stones so that they can be passed normaly. Have had it done 6-7 times with no adverse effects. Also had the stent inserted to help the stones on their exit trip. Not fun!
ESWL has limitations. The first one being the size of the stone and the second one being location. A third is whether or not the patient has recently had other surgery especially abdominal surgery. His stone was on the borderline for size. I just had a 7 mm stone taken care of with ESWL. His stone was already lodged in the top of the ureter. That right there, plus the size would have made them lean towards the laser procedure.
Kidney stones aren't just painful.

The wrong one in the wrong place can block the kidney and damage it. Kidney failure is not a good thing.

Drinking an alcoholic beverage does no harm, and can actually do some good. Alcohol is a diuretic, flushing more fluid through the kidneys.

BTW, there is some evidence that men who have frequent sex have a lower risk of prostate cancer. Perhaps flushing out the prostate gland by ejaculation flushes carcinogens out of the prostate.
Anybody ever see that episode of "Deadwood" where Al has a kidney stone? That was brutal. Makes me glad I live today and not way back when.
Are there any pundits out there who consider Vodka to be a fluid. or even a liquid for that matter?
If you are a heavy snorer, you might have Sleep Apnea. Your body reacts to a constricted airway by making efforts to remove water from the lungs, so it kicks the kidneys into high gear, dehydrating you. This can cause high mineral content in the urine, perfect to grow crystals.

I had a number of stones before I started CPAP and none since.
The old folk remedy is cranberry juice.

My brother was diagnosed with a kidney stone, sent home with painkillers and scheduled for a procedure. I asked if he had *tried* drinking some cranberry juice. No. He went out, got some cran-apple, and - passed his stones, apparently, a few hours later.

Your mileage may vary.
Thank you for writing this, I will be reading to dh at the first opportunity.
Whoa... I had a kidney stone about thirty years ago and a gall stone about five years ago that led to my having my gall bladder removed - easily the two most painful experiences of my life - which reminds to go have a drink of water.
Twenty or so years ago, I was repeatedly suffering attacks of kidney stones. When I last consulted a doctor on them, he recommended that I drink lots of fluids dayly, and keep the system well flushed. I asked him;
"Is it okay to drink beer?"
He said, "Oh, beer is one of the BEST things you can drink!"
I have been religiously following that doctor's advice ever since. And haven't had any more kidney stones ever.
1 2 Next View All