4 Childhood Activities You Should Never Give Up

Acting like a kid could make you happier, healthier, and smarter.

Hannah Sternberg

June 6, 2013 - 11:00 am

iVIwQ

4. Building Pillow Forts

You own your stuff. It doesn’t own you. Is your couch telling you you can’t set its cushions up as walls and drape them as a blanket? Have I just not been listening carefully enough?

Besides being fun, here’s a grown-up reason for building pillow forts: because you can. Because if you’ve ever felt trapped by your surroundings, or stuck in a rut, or just bored, you can take control of your situation (and your furniture) and do something completely different and unconventional with it. And then you realize: you’re free. You just have to stop listening to your furniture and start listening to possibility.

GAMES! My family, all generations, plays games. One of our favorite holiday activities after the formal dinner is cleared away and cleaned up is to load out a buffet table with grazing food and sit down to play games until the wee hours of the morning. At first it's with the kids, so it's easier, younger games the kids can play. After they go to bed, it's more card games. My grandparents had a special fondness for Call Your Partner Rook before they passed away.

In the summers, it's yard games like croquet and bocce ball and cornhole, and we're liable to break into teams and make it into an afternoon long tournament.

My family is very close-knit with very little generation gap to speak of, and I credit our fondness for games. And if you need any other incentive, you can also consider that they help you with your reading, math and hand-eye skills depending on what you're playing.
Possibly the author has more free time than I. If I could spend even a portion of my free time painting, I would be in Heaven. But after working 50-60 hours per week to earn a decent living, all I want to do is rest up for the next round. Not that any rest can be found while not earning a living, chores don't you know.
I must have had a deprived childhood. I have no idea of what ''Red Rover'' is.
Yes you have lived a deprived life. One of the many games banned at schools now because they are afraid the little darlings might get hurt and sue the schools. I always saw Red Rover as an allegory for life. They call you over, and then it's up to you to break through the constraints of society to reach your goals. This is also a reason why it's been banned. The government does not want anyone trying to excel and break on through in order to attain their objectives. They want compliant little Obamabots.

Kudos to you and your family for keeping up the game playing. I can relate very well to that. For years I have noticed that, whether it is a family reunion or some other get together of random family and friends, whenever the kids come they always look forward to 'playing' what ever it was we played the time before. It is a family memory they hold onto more than any other and I firmly believe that they they will hold that memory for the rest of their lives.
Yup.

Whether kids are the best excuse for play or vice versa, who cares? I quit regularly working out for years because it was such a gas playing with my sons. Working out was always "my time," but in short order I discovered that it wasn't fun or good for me IF it was planning blocks of time that took hours away per week with our boys. So, boys being boys...
Random, Unannounced Racing: At times I give this up (for short periods) to keep from wearing out the tires.

Hide and Go Seek: Still good at avoiding speed-traps, key tip that most (at least in my neck of the woods) forget, check your rear view mirror often!

Arts and Crafts Projects: Currently considering an engine upgrade, high performance brakes, and some suspension mods. Maybe minor body work and paint.

Building Pillow Forts: Uhhhhh... ohkay, not sure how to apply that one...

You could be my son. :D
So basically you advise that we act like Hipsters and all have macaroni art shows at the local coffee shop.

No thanks.

But if you suggest that we should all take our size 12s and shove them up the rear of those plaid short wearing, pork-pie hat sporting, never gonna grow ups. Well then, I'm all with you.

And skipping stones at the lake. And if there was no lake, throwing stones directly at the nearest squirrel.