The 4 Most Annoying Things D.C. Drivers Encounter on the Road

Commuting in our nation's capital is not for the faint of heart or for the "easily annoyed."

Becky Graebner

May 17, 2013 - 9:00 am
<- Prev  Page 3 of 3   View as Single Page

4.Presidents, Parades, and Elephants?

Living in the same city as the president has its perks… and some disadvantages.  One of those disadvantages is cruising down your normal route only to find that it has been blocked off to accommodate the president’s motorcade, a parade, or a street festival.  NOW you have to wait 20 minutes and try not to piss off the police officer directing traffic…wish I could get the A-List treatment!  But wait! Not only does the Prez get special treatment, but also pachyderms!  True story, I’ve been stopped to allow a group of circus elephants to cross an intersection…I told you D.C. was a circus!

<- Prev  Page 3 of 3   View as Single Page
Becky Graebner moved to the east coast from Wisconsin in 2011. She is still a rabid Badger and Packer fan, although she does support the Caps in hockey. She enjoys Formula 1 and Indycar. She likes the eastern seaboard but does miss track days with friends and family at Elkhart Lake and the Milwaukee Mile. Her favorite drivers are Kenny Brack and Robby Gordon.

Sorry, these are silly complaints: liberals refer to the museums and monuments as "free", but they're prepaid, as noted earlier. US citizens have been paying for those "free" museums and monuments for decades.

And, protests are just part of what you get: Florida has gators and hurricanes, California and Alaska have earthquakes, Alabama and Oklahoma have tornados, and DC has terrorism, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and crazy guys in tractors in the Reflecting Pool. It's part of the Bill of Rights, ya know?
While in DC a while ago, Wifey and I used the tour buses, parked at Arlington to catch/leave them, and saw/went/did all we wanted.
But, all the time I was there, I just had to pity the locals and the absolutely atrocious driving that is seemingly standard issue, thereabouts.
[BTW I am from Detroit and I know what atrocious driving looks and feels like...]
You ever see The Pentagon empty-out @ 5 pm ? We spun a 'You-ie', against at least three signs and were glad of it. The Vandal Horde had nothing on what we saw.
We have problems like that here, but on county roads. I say, if you want to ride a bike, go to China.
Or live in a foreign country and hope Obama does not come to visit and shut EVERYTHING down.
yes..traffic SUCKS in most big cities? What is the purpose of this article? Why do you live in DC? job, family, friends, etc.. All, I see here is another 20 nothing, entitled me generation person bitching about nothing..Move the hell out if it is such a "burden" to you..
DC is actually a very neighborhood-oriented town.
Just go anywhere in Florida during tourist season (well, non-tourist season is mid September until the week before Thanksgiving, and maybe a couple weeks in early May.) Tourists in rentals cars, some from places with "relaxed" traffic laws, all trying to see Mickey. Good times.
I thought it would be:

1) Lying Democrat Retards
2) Liberal Morons
3) Regressive Leftists
4) Skum bag corrupt commie Cabinet members
Actually, now that the number of Kennedys in office is down the roads around DC are a bit safer. The number one threat when crossing the street is Biden's motorcade (4 accidents so far). The former Sec of Commerce who hit a few cars in CA a while back is out of office too.
I lived a mile from the White House and was driving to a restaurant a half mile from the White House when I was boxed in by the Xmas tree lighting for 45 minutes. Good times.

My worst memories of DC were of Mercedes and BMW drivers. They own the rode don't you know, you need to get out of their way. Here in Texas, it's the oversized pick up trucks who own the road.
Tourists ON the Metro in DC!
1) Not standing to the right on the escalators
2) Crowding the middle of the platform instead of spreading out
3) dawdling at the open car doors so you end up not getting on

But I have to say this: most of those tourists paid for this city. As a matter of fact, they paid too much for it. They should be allowed to take something home with them, what with all the loot we've stolen from them.
"1) Not standing to the right on the escalators"

I gather this rule is for the convenience of those for whom the escalator is too slow?

Where I grew up, climbing the escalator like stairs was the worst rudeness.
Where have you been hiding? Stand to the right, walk on the left has been the rule on escalators and moving sidewalks in America for decades! (I cannot attest to common cutesy rules in other countries.) I have observed and followed this behavior in major cities throughout the US and in all major airports. I've even seen this rule followed in many shopping malls.
4) The train is not a playground for your kids.
I lived for many years in Juneau, AK. While downtown has the State capitol and lots of state and federal offices, it is also practically a theme park for the 10-20K tourists a day that as many as five ro six Panamax cruise ships bring from May through September. That's from a third to a half of the population of Juneau. Just like The Mall in DC, herds of tourists blocking traffic, rubber necking, standing in the street to get just the right picture. Cruise ship passengers are commonly referred to as the "newly wed and nearly dead," with there being a lot more of the latter in the Alaska trade. I hope my wife and I never descend to wearing matching jackets!
1 2 Next View All