The 4 Most Annoying Things D.C. Drivers Encounter on the Road

Commuting in our nation's capital is not for the faint of heart or for the "easily annoyed."

Becky Graebner

May 17, 2013 - 9:00 am

taxi-washingtondc

2. Rogue Taxis

In most cities, the taxis are the “craziest” drivers–weaving, speeding, running reds, and almost whacking pedestrians as they shuttle people through back-roads to their destinations. However, in fast-paced D.C., taxis seem to be both the slowest cars and most confused drivers on the road. They tend to make their own lanes, or sit in two at the same time, and usually block traffic by going 10 miles under the speed limit. Most taxi drivers I’ve encountered have a very basic¬†understanding of D.C. streets and usually end up getting lost. I’ve also had a few drive the WRONG way down one-ways…

3. Bikes with Identity Crises

Are you a bike or are you a pedestrian? Bikes in D.C. can’t seem to make up their mind — or maybe they like causing mass confusion when they enter intersections against the light… or disobey traffic laws… or swerve into cars… or listen to their iPods at full blast and ignore everything around them. NEWSFLASH: just because you are on a bike does not mean you are above the law. Drivers shouldn’t have to try to conduct a full behavioral analysis in five seconds when encountered with bikers — it’s dangerous. My usual maneuver is to give them as much room as possible… aka enough to make a B-52 bomber feel comfortable.

Sorry, these are silly complaints: liberals refer to the museums and monuments as "free", but they're prepaid, as noted earlier. US citizens have been paying for those "free" museums and monuments for decades.

And, protests are just part of what you get: Florida has gators and hurricanes, California and Alaska have earthquakes, Alabama and Oklahoma have tornados, and DC has terrorism, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and crazy guys in tractors in the Reflecting Pool. It's part of the Bill of Rights, ya know?
While in DC a while ago, Wifey and I used the tour buses, parked at Arlington to catch/leave them, and saw/went/did all we wanted.
But, all the time I was there, I just had to pity the locals and the absolutely atrocious driving that is seemingly standard issue, thereabouts.
[BTW I am from Detroit and I know what atrocious driving looks and feels like...]
You ever see The Pentagon empty-out @ 5 pm ? We spun a 'You-ie', against at least three signs and were glad of it. The Vandal Horde had nothing on what we saw.
We have problems like that here, but on county roads. I say, if you want to ride a bike, go to China.
You live in a city. There is no inalienable right to drive conveniently wherever you want to. Try walking, riding a bike, or taking public transport.
Or live in a foreign country and hope Obama does not come to visit and shut EVERYTHING down.
yes..traffic SUCKS in most big cities? What is the purpose of this article? Why do you live in DC? job, family, friends, etc.. All, I see here is another 20 nothing, entitled me generation person bitching about nothing..Move the hell out if it is such a "burden" to you..
DC is actually a very neighborhood-oriented town.
Just go anywhere in Florida during tourist season (well, non-tourist season is mid September until the week before Thanksgiving, and maybe a couple weeks in early May.) Tourists in rentals cars, some from places with "relaxed" traffic laws, all trying to see Mickey. Good times.
Hmmm.... Why the number 4?
I thought it would be:

1) Lying Democrat Retards
2) Liberal Morons
3) Regressive Leftists
4) Skum bag corrupt commie Cabinet members
Actually, now that the number of Kennedys in office is down the roads around DC are a bit safer. The number one threat when crossing the street is Biden's motorcade (4 accidents so far). The former Sec of Commerce who hit a few cars in CA a while back is out of office too.
I lived a mile from the White House and was driving to a restaurant a half mile from the White House when I was boxed in by the Xmas tree lighting for 45 minutes. Good times.

My worst memories of DC were of Mercedes and BMW drivers. They own the rode don't you know, you need to get out of their way. Here in Texas, it's the oversized pick up trucks who own the road.
1 2 Next View All