Détroit Électrique Not ‘Magnifique’

The electric car market, which is already saturated with expensive creations only a very small percentage of the population can purchase, has now become SUPER-saturated.

Becky Graebner

May 16, 2013 - 9:00 am
<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

Base price for the Tesla Model S with the lowest kWh battery option (40 kWh) is $52,400. Want a better battery, get ready to pay a higher price. The Model S 85kWh battery option starts at $87,400. The base Fisker Karma Hybrid starts at $102,000…with the top model starting at $115,000.  With Fisker failing to woo buyers with a low $100k price tag, I am very intrigued to see how many SP.01s are sold.  The SP.01′s price tag starts at $135,000…

Mr. Lam says that he has “learned from others’ mistakes” and is determined to be a success. I’m not convinced.  Americans need reliable cars to fit growing families and their trusty canines, tow campers, and haul bikes… not two-seater sports cars that cost almost as much as a college education.

Only time will tell if it is “lights out” for Detroit Electric — again.

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page
Becky Graebner moved to the east coast from Wisconsin in 2011. She is still a rabid Badger and Packer fan, although she does support the Caps in hockey. She enjoys Formula 1 and Indycar. She likes the eastern seaboard but does miss track days with friends and family at Elkhart Lake and the Milwaukee Mile. Her favorite drivers are Kenny Brack and Robby Gordon.

I doubt their production numbers are huge, and I think there is a market for these cars among the true green believers. If they have a 100 grand to plop down on a car odds are they already have a high end gas guzzler in their garage so why not a Tesla status symbol?
Just as in any specialty car market, one day, really soon there will be few, if any buyers for this stuff.
There are only so many who 'see the need' and want to bring the range restrictions, recharging time spans and cold weather range reductions onto themselves. These cars are in effect 'toys', and really big ones, at that.
Test this claim and take each and every State and Federal tax credit off the table and tell all who'll listen that they're never, ever coming back.
Then watch, as Holding Lots get full to the brim with these Hummers...........and then some more, besides.
I'm am confoozded Becky: In your previous article about Tesla you were effusive in your praise of Tesla, and now you are critical (and rightly so) of the hyper-expensive electric car market in general, including Tesla. I am scratching my head . . . . . ???
I have been following your comments--i hope i can clear up some of the confusion. I am a critic of EVs-and green cars in general-but i also try to be optimistic...maybe SOME DAY these cars will actually be something real people can drive/want to drive. Right now, i don't think they are "drive-able" --but I do think the Tesla looks cool and normal (hence page two of that piece underlining their "normal" design).
Compared to the other start-up EVs, Tesla is, surprisingly, "doing well" (turning some profit, is catching a lot of attention, and seems to be the the "EV it girl" of the moment)--and i give them some points for that...hence the praise.

It wasn't all enthusiasm though: "The Tesla Model S is still very expensive and does require some more infrastructure planning in order to make it a serious “every-day American driver--"

Thanks for always reading, I was Don Rodrigo!

Thanks for the reply and clarification Becky. And you can call me "Don." :-)
no problem! :)