Abraham, Part 4: Does Holiness Get Lost in the Fog of War?

It’s one thing to theorize at a distance from the action; quite another to run your own fractious polity while also contending with real marauders and mortal threats.

P. David Hornik

May 12, 2013 - 7:00 am

Abraham’s first “political crisis” of sorts involves his nephew Lot, who has come with him to Canaan. Lot, too,

had flocks, and herds, and tents.

And the land was not able to bear them, that they might dwell together: for their substance was great, so that they could not dwell together.

And there was a strife between the herdmen of Abram’s cattle and the herdmen of Lot’s cattle….

Abraham, however, completely rejects this internecine conflict. He tells Lot:

Let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren.

Instead he simply suggests that Lot relocate with his holdings to another part of the land; which Lot does, moving to the “plain of Jordan” while Abraham continues to live in Canaan.

That, of course, being essential to a democratic ethos — resolving internal conflict peacefully. Israel has mostly been very successful at it, despite having long been a mélange (less so recently) of fiercely competing ideologies. With some exceptions, it’s been understood across the board that “strife between brethren” is something to avoid.

A lot of things get lost in war. If holiness gets "lost", it was never there to begin with. Holiness is not what one does, it is who one is. We are only "made holy" by virtue of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit of God. Without that, we are simply a people ruled by the flesh or human conscience.
"God seems to accept that moral rules — like telling the truth — sometimes have to be bent on behalf of a larger purpose, like survival."

This is NEVER true! The reason God didn't chide Abraham for saying that Sarah was his sister is because it was true. Abraham's father, Terah, was also the father of Sarah by a different mother.
But Abraham deceived Abimelech, by not saying "she is my wife," and by not saying "she is my half-sister," since half-sisters could be married.
Something is in the air here. I never know quite what it is. I think that it is really neurosis. Of course, there are no answers - we are who we are, emerging out of a bizarre and painful history. Yes, it is a privilege in a way to live in a reborn State of Jews, for certainly it is not a 'Jewish state' in any clear way. Yesterday, I took the long bus ride from Tel Aviv to Kiryat Shmonah (I live up on a border moshav high above the tip of the Jordan Valley). Along the way, a pleasant young Arab guy got on near a large Arab town just in from the coast. The bus driver, perhaps the most extroverted person I have ever met (he often does the local routes in and around K Shmona) engaged the young Arab in conversation. At one point, he asked the guy about the Arabs from the villages in Wadi Ara, a known troublesome area within the 67 border, a hotbed of Israeli Arab 'Islamist' activity. I think his questions, which were very indirect, were an attempt to get a read on Israeli Arabs and in particular the hotbed around Wadi Ara. The Arab was very cautious; if he sensed he was being drawn into a political conversation, he would not bite.

I appreciate the complex and resigned Zionism you express in your articles. As a member of the right wing you consider simplistic and unrealistic, I wish to he#@ people who think as you do would understand that our fate is in our own hands if we want it to be. That said, I respect that you have spent so many years here, and care as you do.
Resigned? I didn't think my Zionism was resigned. I belong to the right wing myself, though--it being a large camp--not always agreeing with everything said by various people within this camp. Being simplistic and disliking complexity is a widespread human tendency, found in all large categories of people.
Does Holiness get lost in the fog of war?
No. Lives get lost.
Hopefully, lots-n-lots of THEIRS, so they maybe think twice before trying to f*ck with you again.

It really not that complicated.
it is impossible for a modern to endure tribal conditions. It is impossible for a city dweller to be thrown on land with a mule and survive. it is impossible for an atheist then to hear a voice from above saying:take your son to a mount and sacrifice him. It is impossible for a missionary to endure missionary conditions. Saint Paul speaks about such conditions while being followed by those with all the answers to the questions of how you can be right and not wrong
from ancient 2000 year old text
"9-13 It seems to me that God has put us who bear his Message on stage in a theater in which no one wants to buy a ticket. We’re something everyone stands around and stares at, like an accident in the street. We’re the Messiah’s misfits. You might be sure of yourselves, but we live in the midst of frailties and uncertainties. You might be well-thought-of by others, but we’re mostly kicked around. Much of the time we don’t have enough to eat, we wear patched and threadbare clothes, we get doors slammed in our faces, and we pick up odd jobs anywhere we can to eke out a living. When they call us names, we say, “God bless you.” When they spread rumors about us, we put in a good word for them. We’re treated like garbage, potato peelings from the culture’s kitchen. And it’s not getting any better.

14-16 I’m not writing all this as a neighborhood scold just to make you feel rotten. I’m writing as a father to you, my children.
footnote
I do not think God do that to the poor atheist. It would be one step at a time God coming down from stairwy in heaven , give him the most beauty bride in the world, then riches for his temple, the voice from the stairway a voice he could trust then both The Father and Jesus would sweat blood together figure of speech in the garden the night before the sacrifice they were so close and then the end the father on earth and the son in heaven looking after his Father on earth
what a great story this is
Abraham had the luxury of living without the descendents of Essua, and Ishmael.
Your point about a total Jew is a good one. Once America had succeeded beyond its wildest dreams, including the Civil Rights act, it proceeded to dismantle itself by substituting identity in place of principle to decide right and wrong. Reality no longer has anything to do with it. Therefore many Americans are simply incapable of making simple comparisons and looking at Israel with any kind of balance.
If someone tells you that lying is always wrong, you have discovered someone that doesn't live in society with other persons but entirely and completely within their own heads....'>>.......