13 Weeks: And the Envelope Please

It's the end of the second season of the experiment. What did I learn this time and what's coming next?

Charlie Martin

May 11, 2013 - 12:12 pm

I guess the weight loss is the biggest disappointment. Clearly I can go happily on a low-carb diet, and it has good effects, but after about 10 weeks the weight loss effects pretty nearly stopped.  Gary Taubes clearly has some things right, because the low carb diet seems to have resolved my type 2 diabetes, and eating a high fat low carb diet hasn’t done what mainstream medicine would predict — with a diet that has been upwards of 60 percent calories coming from fats and a lot of those calories coming from bacon and butter and other good things along with one whole damn lot of eggs, my total cholesterol is lower than it’s ever been, actually really too low. (My various lipid levels are down in the data section below as well.) But viewed as an experiment, it’s very interesting. My calorie intake has been relatively constant at what should be about a two pounds per week weight loss. But my actual weight loss was about half that, and happened largely in the first few weeks. Even with a pretty significant increase in activity, which should have been increasing my calorie output, somehow I stopped losing weight; after my car wreck, when my activity dropped markedly, my weight stayed stable. Neither of those observations are consistent with the usual “calories in, calories out” model of traditional medicine.

Take that, coaches and pediatricians of the world!

Which of course brings us to what I think was my biggest surprise. There’s a TV reality show called Baggage Battles, about people who bid for lost and abandoned luggage in hopes of making a profit when they see the contents. Well, my head should be on an episode, because I’ve got more abandoned baggage in my head than the whole of American Airlines. This 26 weeks has caused me to confront feelings of being ugly, of being a failure, of repeated insults and bullying and quite a whole damn lot of people who would rather believe their theories than what I was telling them about my actual experience.

I didn’t expect that. I thought after years of therapy and years of antidepressant drugs that I was pretty well caught up on that. Oh, I knew I still had scars, but I didn’t realize this would rub so many raw spots I hadn’t noticed in years.

As I wrote last week, what I now think was the emotional core of a lot of this stuff was the sense that I had to be perfect to be good enough — that any imperfections were inexcusable and that my strengths were merely what was expected.

So, now what?

CHarlie,
Re the calories in/calories out comment, I refer people to "The Four Hour Body" and the change in fat from White Adipose to Brown Adipose Tissue This can be seen by using meds that boost adiponectin. If you don't on the next cycle, I will. I'm pretty sure (about 100 %) I can't use anyone I'm using in a clinical trial.Still, I had some extra VZ and thought , "Who deserves to look young and thin as much as I ?
Don't know why the gibberish was included in my post
charlie,
If you're having trouble with your sugar,decrease one cinnamon/day.And,have you started on the GLPs?
Ten percent! Congrats and kudos to you, Charlie!
Unless you've managed to repeal the First Law of Thermodynamics (calories in - calories out)/(9 calories/g) is going to give you your change in weight. The problem is that calories out depends on calories in (and several other factors) in ways that are complex, poorly understood, and highly non-linear. Just like the relationship between tax rates and tax receipts.

I've just started my own 13 week program, inspired by you and the weight loss I've seen since starting to walk the 1.5 miles to work every day (not sure how much, I don't have a scale, but the box scale at work says I've lost 10 pounds. Of course it only reads in 5 pound increments). I'm working on upper body strength and endurance with body weight exercises: push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, etc-ups.
Well, something like that. Calories out aren't that simple either. For example, the Pina Indian experiments showed that the basal metabolic rate can be down-regulated dramatically, so two people of the same mass and activity level may have very different caloric expenditures. Also, the calorie content of food isn't determined metabolically -- which would admittedly be hard -- but instead my literally burning the various foods in a calorimeter. So the input isn't as well understood as it might be.

I'm glad to hear about your program; I'd really like to know more about it. Also, what would you want to use to track what you're doing? Do you have a spreadsheet or anything like that?
That was kind of my point, that we simply don't know enough about metabolism to say how many calories will result in weight loss. Any attempt at a "balanced approach" to weight loss is going to run into nonlinear responses.

I use Fitocracy to track, I'm not as data-oriented as you. The routine is just what came on the DVD with the door-frame pull-up bar (wide grip pull-ups, push-ups, narrow grip pull-ups, hanging leg lifts, tricep dips, and sit-ups for 1 minute or until exhaustion with 1 minute rest between each activity) every MWF. Right now I'm doing one set with bands supporting about half my body weight on the pull-ups. I've been noticing improvement of about 1 rep per session. When and how to decrease the assist and add sets is something I've been thinking about.
Hm. I'd love to see how you do the bands thing. I aspire to do at least one pull up.
The aforementioned box scale says I weigh 260. I've got about 135lbs of assistance and I'm able to do 8-9 pull-ups. I do most of them in one push, then rest for a few seconds before knocking out the last 1-2 before time runs out. Right now my plan is to drop the assistance one level, to about 120lbs, once I can do 10 pull-up in a set. I'll probably get there in a couple of weeks. Lather, rinse, repeat until I'm pulling my own weight.
Good job. In 6 months you'll be at 240.
Well, thank you for what you are doing so very publicly. I sent my dad the books you recommended. I described a bit of your experiences. I didn't send him links, since he's so leftist that he thinks communism is a good idea wrecked by naughty Russians. He'd have spent 26 weeks sending me books about heroic social workers and Studs Terkel interview books. Don't laugh- he's done it before.

So, really, thank you, you're helping people that you would never have a chance to meet or help, otherwise. I am very grateful to you.

Pretty skin is a function of vitamins: Vitamin D, vitamin K, and magnesium and some vitamin C, at least as far as I can piece together Mr Instapundit's advice. And carrots. Spousal unit's skin changes according to his nutrition and sleep levels. You can google Kassy's Kickass Vitamin C cream, if you want the sturdiest DIY skin serum. I've never tried it, but I'm impressed that at the makeup store, the manager gets kind of googley-eyed talking about her customers that use it. Apparently, it really works.

I think you are lovely and smart and funny, so I'm glad that that part of you is showing through in your body, these past six months, rather than your pain and grief.

Thanks, Ari. It's not so much pretty skin I'm worried about -- my skin is holding up very well, possibly because I refuse to be exposed to natural light and that strange unnatural 3 dimensional real world -- as it is I still want to look like Tom Selleck during Magnum PI days.

I really do appreciate the kind words.
Congratulations Charlie! You've done so well! My second 13 weeks thing about publicly advocating for Staplehouse won't last 13 weeks. It stops at the end of May so I'll be thinking of another experiment. My hope for you is that you continue to grow in your self-acceptance. None of us see you in those derogatory terms, but I know that doesn't matter in the internal workings of the mind. Looking forward to June 1.