The 3 Most Overrated Female Musicians

No, Madonna is not on this list. Neither is Janis Joplin or Billie Holiday. Someone you love is.

Kathy Shaidle

May 7, 2013 - 7:00 am

#2: Lady Gaga

As a homely girl made good in the music biz, Lady Gaga kind of messes up my Sheryl Crow theory.

However, I have a theory about Lady Gaga, too:

She had an older sister who had a friend who had a bunch of Nina Hagen and Lene Lovich, a Candy Darling scrapbook plus a VHS copy of the 1980 British movie Breaking Glass and a DVD of Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

The sister borrowed them all and never gave them back.

Then Lady Gaga found them and built her persona from these building blocks, thinking no one else would notice.

After all, who else had ever heard of these obscure people?

She was right, because 99% of humans have no sense of history or culture. Their idea of an “old movie” is Star Wars.

Lady Gaga got rich on the indifferent stupidity and un-sophistication of the average person.

Plus the fact that her political message is mainstream but her appearance remains slightly daring — if, as I said, derivative.

Lady Gaga is that contradiction in terms — mass-market rebellion — of the sort we haven’t been forced to endure since Hair.

My other theory is that Lady Gaga will be blamed for a suicide epidemic in the near future, but that’s another article.

Anyway, here is the woman Lady Gaga stole half her career from:

Sorry folks Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders rock. Pure and simple.
Don't care enough about the rest to quibble with you but leave Chrissie alone.
Thanks,
Pat
For some reason, as a chick, I hate most female singers. I much prefer a man's voice I can swoon to. And I really think women don't belong in Rock&Roll. The few female singers I like are in country (Dolly, Reba).

Except, my very favorite female singer is Prince.
I gave her a listen and found her voice a bit harsh. No pleasure there. But I think the same thing about the voices of a lot of current female performers. They squeak, whisper, wheeze, bark, howl, growl, yodel, slur, and snore - they do not exactly sing. Actually, the same can be said for many male singers.

I think it's due to the electronics. Until fairly recently, singers had to be able to "sing" - which they learned to do in church choirs and noisy bars. They had to project and sound decent without relying on more than a mike and some speakers.

Now, kids start "singing" by making various sounds into their computers and fooling with the resulting audio files. The result is singers who have never sung louder than a whisper or had to compete with a live band and a bunch of drunks. They've sacrificed purity and volume for...what to call it? Weirdness. Quirkiness. Strange diction. To modern ears, it all sounds quite precious. To me, it's kind of ugly.

And P.S. - what the hell is up with all the goddamn ukeleles?
Hoo boy, you said it about the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame--what a joke.
You put Chrissie Hynde at the top of your over-rated female musicians list and you omit Madonna altogether?? What the heck is that?

I personally like Chrissie Hynde's music and singing. I regularly listen to the third and fourth Pretenders albums. She's got a quirky vocal style but it's all her own and I think it works.

Madonna, on the other hand, is an utter hack. I can't think of a single song of hers that I like. I would not go to her concerts if you paid me. The woman has no skills as a singer or songwriter. A friend who saw her in her early days said she can dance; I'll have to take his word for it. But I don't go to concerts to see dancing, I go to listen to good music, well performed. That's not something I'd ever get at a Madonna concert.

If you're going to do an under-rated female musicians list next, may I suggest Jane Siberry? As a Canadian, you must know who she is. I think she's brilliant although I don't think she's very well known by most people.
Totally agree about not going to a concert to see dancing. That is probably THE biggest difference between my generation (60s classic rock) and today's, which doesn't know good music because it has never heard any.
The secret to most female - and probably ALL - singers is that you do not look at a one of their videos. Not a single one. Even Lady GagGag doesn't sound half bad, unless you're hearing the song accompanied by one of those GOD awful videos,
I'll leave the ladies to make the list, mine is too long for this post anyhow!
Yoki Ono
Bjork
Pat Benatar
Agree with some others here, that Chrissie Hynde does not belong on this list. She is a great singer and the Pretenders a great band. Yeah she may be an irritating Leftist (who isn't among writers, musos, filmmakers?) but she deserves her rep and fame. People's politics are one thing, their art another.

As for Crowe and Gaga, sure they suck but who rates them anyway? I mean they can't be overrated if they are not rated to begin with, not by the music critics and the more discerning public.

And I thought everyone of the 5 male musos you considered overrated, is simply not.

Whatever next from Kathy S? Maybe she will give us an article on the five most overrated films and you can be sure that everyone will be a deserved classic. Or a film that nobody but fratboys ever rated to begin with.
Chrissie Hynde doesn't belong here, that's just crazy, and it's funny that one of her signature songs was picked by Rush Limbaugh as his signature song, and she agreed to it...
She agreed to it . . . for a fee . . .
Looks like Lady Gaga drew inspiration from more than one place. Take a look at this Missing Persons video from the early 1980s:

1. Babs Streisand. 2. Madonna. 3. Pat Benatar. 4. Gaga.
Nicole Atkins is my favorite female vocalist recently. (IMHO, her "Neptune City" album is flawless. Like the album name's mythological hint, her song themes are rather heavy).

Where's the room (love) for Courtney Love? Lead singer for 'Hole'. I suppose her career is as dead as one of her ex-boyfriends.

At one time I'd have put Madonna on this list - until I heard her sing Argentina. WOW - what a waste of a great voice singing what she does most of the time.
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All