The Holocaust Denier Who Infiltrated Hollywood Conservatism

Will the real David Stein please stand up?

Andrew Klavan

May 6, 2013 - 9:00 am
<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

I don’t think I ever met this fellow Cole or Stein or whoever he is but he invited me to his events a couple of times. I always weaseled out of them. He’d tell me there’d be “plenty of booze and loud rock ‘n roll music,” and I’d think, “Well, I already have enough booze…  and man, I hate that music!” I never had any reason to doubt who he was though, and I surely would have attended something he organized if he’d been playing Sinatra. So what?

The left is always going to accuse us of racism and various other forms of bigotry. They have to. It’s all they’ve got. We don’t have to fear that and we shouldn’t throw conservatives under the bus when they make a remark that’s ill thought out or misconstrued. But true bigotry — and that’s all Holocaust denial is; bigotry — true bigotry is poison and needs to be kept out of the movement. It’s an offense to truth, an offense to decency and an offense to the God in whose image we’re made.

Cole says of the right wingers who are now deserting him: “I don’t blame them for jettisoning me. Everyone is scared to death. They don’t want this to range beyond Facebook.” And he adds: “I don’t expect many people at my birthday party this year.”

Too right.

[Update. Eric Golub, of Republican Party Animals, the group Stein/Cole claimed to head, feels Cole/Stein used the Guardian to tell a slanted version of his exposure. Here's Golub's version — which, under the circumstances, we can assume is more trustworthy! Golub is the son of a Holocaust survivor, btw.]

[Postscript: Roger L. Simon just called to tell me he had looked Stein/Cole up on IMDB - under David Abravenel Stein. He has a nice list of credits on documentaries about the Holocaust — and none of them seems to be real! When you follow the links they go nowhere. There's no other record of them. So I guess when they call this guy a Hollywood conservative, the emphasis should be on the "con."]

****

Cross-posted from Klavan on the Culture

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page
Andrew Klavan’s newest novel is Nightmare City.

Whenever people scatter and run because someone, no matter who he is, questions an Unquestionable Sacred Truth, beyond the bounds of what we are allowed to wonder about, --or in Europe, to talk about on pain of a jail term--I become, shall we say, curious.
likely, mr. steincole does not know he is not mr. stein but rather mr. cole. probably, it's neither and a wife and gaggle of children will surface. quite literally. that's hollywood.
Never heard of him. I don't think this is going to have much impact of any kind...he's not a celebrity. That's the real currency in Hollywood.
Reminds me of The Great Imposter starring Tony Curtis. Maybe he could go off to a monastery, take a vow of silence, and help the monks make beer.
" David Abravenel Stein... has a nice list of credits on documentaries about the Holocaust — and none of them seems to be real! When you follow the links they go nowhere."

When I looked just now they all seem to work. Maybe "Stein" added himself to all these pages in the last few hours, or maybe Simon goofed. I see "Stein" listed on one title at another, less public site.
... you know full well the media will try to tar us all with it. That’s how it works.... But one creepoid on the right, and we’ll soon start to hear, “Well, that’s what they’re all like, deep down.” See if we don’t.

You can take that to the bank. I have absolutely no doubt that's exactly what will happen.
There's a message in this. Stay away from large noisy parties with lots of hootch. Smaller parties are much more pleasant, some Sinatra or Benny Goodman with some Ella Fitzgerald for good measure, intelligent conversation which can be heard above the din and cocktails instead of hootch.
Here's some irony. The following appears in the paid ads above the comment section.

"Quoteworthy: Frida Kahlo on Fighting for Your Beliefs"

We are talking about the lady who hosted Trotsky.
Ah, but she soon learned better, When she died in 1952, she was painting a hagiographic portrait of Stalin.
When the left was getting started it had its share of prominent whackos. For Pete's sake just think of Malcolm X, a guy who thought JFK's assassination was just peachy.

Look at Louis Farrakhan, today. Hey Louie any recent messages from the Mothership?

I remember the late, sainted Bob Edgar writing a series of articles denying the Cambodian killing fields. Nobody ever called him on it.
Why stop there? Al Sharpton, racist, anti-Semitic, murderous pogrom artist, accepted as a power in the Democratic party. We know where the real bigotry lives and is appreciated.
He used Avarvenel as a fake middle name? Rabbi Don (Sir) Yitzchak Abarbanel, Ferdinand and Isabella's treasurer, the Elie Wiesel of the Spanish Holocaust of the 15th century?

Chutzpah.