The 10 Life Improvement Quotes So Essential I Have Them on My Wall

"Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It's not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it's when you've had everything to do and you've done it." — Margaret Thatcher

John Hawkins

May 6, 2013 - 4:00 pm

4) The prayer of Solomon:

“5 At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night, and God said, ‘Ask what I shall give you.’ 6 And Solomon said, ‘You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant David my father, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart towards you. And you have kept for him this great and steadfast love and have given him a son to sit on his throne this day. 7 And now, O Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of David my father, although I am but a little child. I do not know how to go out or come in. 8 And your servant is in the midst of your people whom you have chosen, a great people, too many to be numbered or counted for multitude. 9 Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?’

“10 It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. 11 And God said to him, ‘Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches or the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, 12 behold, I now do according to your word. Behold, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you has been before you and none like you shall arise after you.’” — 1 Kings 3: 5-12

5) My favorite Bible verses:

“David said to the Philistine, ‘You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the Lord will deliver you into my hands, and I’ll strike you down and cut off your head. This very day I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds and the wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.’” – 1 Samuel 17:45, 46, 47

On my living room wall: "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart," declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 29:13)

On my office bulletin board (and a potential tattoo): ...the righteous are bold as a lion. (Proverbs 28:1)
"No one ever lay on his death-bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office." - A guy I used to work with at a top blue-chip company after he discovered he had cancer. (He survived, at least for the short term. I never heard what happened in the long term.)

"Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time, who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done, if we are always doing." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Martha Jefferson, 1787

"Illegitimis non carborundum."
Lat.,
"Don't let the bastards grind you down."
-Gen. Joseph Stilwell
I only saved and framed one quote in my lifetime. I don't even know who to attribute it to:

"So long as you can move, move. You've an eternity to be still"

Life is inherently tough and anyone who thinks they have it all figured out is either extremely lucky or deluded. There is no single formula for success. But staying in motion and keeping oneself in play is good advice I think. It's how we all learn and improve and ultimately make the best of our time here.
I like the "Serenity Prayer";
"God grant me serenity, and I want it NOW!"
And Margaret Thatcher had many more.
There's "Desiderata", also.
Your "Gestalten" needs constant maintenance, but if you know not comfort, you will never know how to dispense it.
Beer is proof that God loves us.
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." -- Joshua
A quote I have lived by every day is "Change is inevititable, improvement is optional." to ensure that I live by the improvement part.

But one cannot forget the forst law of politics: "When the mouth is open in passion, the ears are closed to reason."

Lastly, there is the most insane piece of advice that my father told me and it has turned out to be amazingly accurate in its warning. "Never trust a man whose hips are wider than his shoulders."