Abraham, Part 3: Do You Have to Marry a Jewish Girl?

The issue of continuity that continues to perplex.

P. David Hornik

May 5, 2013 - 8:00 am

I grew up in the land of upstate New York, in an area where there were almost no Jews. I first remember hearing about Jewish continuity sometime in my teens. My mother told me it was very important to my father that I and my sisters marry Jews. She said it in a way that implied it wasn’t so important to her. But my father was a person of depth and character, and her words couldn’t be taken lightly.

At that point, in my teens, I wasn’t too connected to Jewish matters. I thought of Israel as a distant, happy, admirable land — if I thought of it. I knew that in a few years I’d go to a university where there would be a lot more Jews. I was ambivalent about what my mother had told me; it seemed that marrying a Jewish girl would be nice, but how could I control whom I’d meet or fall in love with?

I also knew the matter was sensitive, and didn’t talk about it to my friends — except one, my best friend, himself a person of great depth, character, and intelligence. He didn’t like it and said it was a form of racism.

When I did go off to college, my first girlfriend was an Irish Catholic with flaming red hair. I didn’t write home about it.

" But its enough to give rise to scenarios ,to the undercurrents of anxiety."

Take Sabbatai Zevi
In this story of Abraham Just like the prophets his "Sarah" is a reformed harlot(Hosea the prophet) The book of Job. Job's wife says:' Curse God and Die"
When the story is about survival how does it end. The greater your weapons the greater the war.The end does not take place in a valley but the Mountain of Meddigo .
I understand why so many hassidim are now living in my White Mountains.
In the story of the west only by the rape of Leto (Lotus) is birth given to Apollo ,art healing prophecy and Zeus to the woman he falls in love with creating another world the world he left behind is out to destroy the new world so he is first to reveal to show his glory and this consumes his lover ,the child understands "beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror ,so chose atheism and agnostic sleep and where does that road lead?
Perhaps you can see why i believe we need the three Abraham faiths
Well, besides the issue of Jewish continuity, dating a Catholic girl when you weren't even a Christian wasn't fair to the Catholic girl. A Protestant can sacramentally marry a Catholic if they get permission to do so and he agrees to raise the children Catholic, but sacramental marriage is impossible between a Catholic and an unbaptized person.
Marriage wasn't on the agenda. And the dating was her choice just as much as mine.
My Israeli husband's parents were Holocaust survivors. He told me that they regarded every grandchild born as a victory against the Germans who had tried and almost succeeded in wiping out both of their families. He said that when each grandchild was born, it was like they were saying to Hitler, "Take that! Another one! And look at her...she's pregnant again...another one!!!"
In Genesis, and Job the sons of G-d are always Angels. Except for Adam. Therefore, the Nephilim can not be the sons of Cain. The Nephilim were one of the biggest reasons for Noah's flood.

The Nephilim were on the earth after the flood. This maybe the reason G-d did not want Abraham's offspring to mix with the locals. Not only did the locals worship false gods, but murdered their young. Kind of like today's world.

It is not until the New Testament that the term son of G-d was used for a fully human body. The word made flesh, who was murdered for human sin. The blood of the lamb. In this case a perfect human body which had no sin. Died willingly for all. The word made flesh would not enter a body contaminated with Nephilim DNA.
One should recognize that the first inkling of a "great nation" that would comprise the Hebrew line of Abraham didn't emerge until the third generation. One son by Hagar the concubine, Ishmael, was banished. And the sons of his second wife, Keturah, were given "gifts" and sent to the lands of the East. That left only Isaac.

Isaac had two sons, but only one got the "birthright": Jacob. Esau went his own way and created his own nation. So two generations after Abraham, that future "Jewish" nation was still just ... one person. Jacob of course had 12 sons, who each created his own tribe.

Like most Jews in the Diaspora, those in the US are mostly secular and liberal, and like most secular liberals have few children. So it's a shrinking, aging population. But in Israel, even "non-religious" Jews are marrying and having children, and so have the youngest Jewish demographic in the world.
Good points all.