Straight-Arrow Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a Mama’s Boy

Were the Boston jihadists just carrying on the family business?

Robert Spencer

April 29, 2013 - 2:00 pm

But behind the parents’ protestations that their boys couldn’t have been behind the Boston bombings, there are numerous indications that Tamerlan and Dzhokhar were just carrying on the family business. It turns out that Tamerlan Tsarnaev had been listed in the Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment (TIDE), the government’s primary terrorist database — although his inclusion on it was vivid indication of its utter uselessness, since nothing was being done to monitor his activities even as he amassed the material to construct the bombs he used in the Boston Marathon jihad attack and in the bombers’ subsequent attempts to elude police. Even more interesting was the fact that his mother was listed as well.

Russian authorities were so concerned about the Tsarnaevs that they began tapping their phones, and in 2011 caught Mama Tsarnaeva discussing jihad with Tamerlan, advising him to go to “Palestine” to wage his jihad there. Tamerlan didn’t take her advice; he didn’t speak Arabic and thus thought it might be hard to get by in Gaza. Ultimately, he opted to wage his jihad in Boston instead.

The Tsarnaevs appear to be a crime family on the order of the most violent mafia clans, but they were also (like the cinematic Corleones, at least as far as appearances were concerned) religiously devout. It has been widely reported that several years ago, Tamerlan Tsarnaev became much more of an observant Muslim than he had been previously: a family friend noticed the change and said, “He started talking about religion. He grew a long beard.” Tamerlan would hector him about his own religiosity: “Why don’t you become a better Muslim? Why don’t you pray, why don’t you do your Islamic duties?”

Thank you, Robert, for mentioning that Hitler loved dogs. You are the first writer that *I* have seen to make this obvious point. I myself have mentioned this to friends in the past--the fact that someone has an occasional nice behavior doesn't mean anything. Hitler was nice to children, too. So what?
GO SEARCH FOR THE REAL BOMBERS , YOU IDIOTS , JUST LIKE O. J. SIMPSON SEARCHED FOR THE REAL MURDERERS !!
I am truly surprised to find that the Tsarnaev parents, especially the mother, have the nerve to say what they are saying in Russia. Given Russian sentiments against Chechens, it seems to me foolhardy at best that they dared to speak openly of jihad and terrorism in an approving way. I don't think Putin will let that stand very long. In fact, I'm surprised he has tolerated as much of this as he has.

I think the Tsarnaevs should think very seriously about moving somewhere safer. Even America, with possible charges in the air, might be less dangerous for them.
There's a major formatting error in this article. The left half of the final paragraphs are completely covered by the final videos, making it impossible to read them. This is true in Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome so it's not a browser issue.

Here are the obscured paragraphs with the HTML tags stripped out so that visitors can read the obscured information pending repairs to the layout.

====

Yet Tamerlan doesn’t seem to have grown more religious amid a family of secularists. Zubeidat Tsarnaeva has worn a hijab in all of her public appearances, and gives every indication of being a devout Muslim. Referring to Dzhokhar, she thundered to CNN: “If they are going to kill him. I don’t care. My oldest son is killed, so I don’t care. I don’t care if my youngest son is going to be killed today. I want the world to hear this. And, I don’t care if I am going to get killed too. And I will say Allahu Akbar!”

And so it seems that she raised her boys well, and they didn’t rebel or, after a period of rebellion, they returned to their roots and duly followed in their mother’s footsteps. While the mainstream media continues to posit ever more ridiculous theories as to how the Tsarnaev brothers became “radicalized” (the New York Times suggested Sunday that it was because a rule change had disqualified him from the Golden Gloves boxing tournament), the truth may lie closer to hand: the Tsarnaevs jihad was a family affair.
Sorry, I just realized that the problem I mentioned ONLY occurs if you view the story in Single Page mode. That's how I always look at PJM stories so I didn't realize that the article looks fine in when viewed as multiple pages.
Corrected now.
Thanks, Dave Swindle.

I came to these dam**d machines late in age and have considered my own hapless experiences as anti-senility exercises...I hope it works in that direction; but until that time I must say a big fat blanket "thanks" to all of you in this < IT > ....what! an! acronym!....business.

Do you all go home and kick cats and dogs when you're on your own time? With all of these onion skin complexities, it's a wonder that these machines work at all.

Lastly, I understand that this is the anniversary of Tim Berners-Lee' s grand ......pause here for effect....."connection".

Ok ....Ok......I'm leaving now.