Rick Moran

April 29, 2013 - 4:40 pm
<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

Those who believe Collins is being heroic in coming out point to the impact on young men and women still in the closet or having trouble dealing with their peers when it comes to their sexual preferences. I hope his impact is positive also, but is this “heroic” behavior? Being a role model is not the same as acting heroically. And while I’m sure it was difficult for Mr. Collins to come forward, we cheapen the word “hero” when misapplying it to people who, quite simply, don’t deserve it.

Refusing to move to the back of the bus? That’s an heroic act of defiance. Falling on a hand grenade to save your friends in war? That’s an heroic act of self-sacrifice.

How about telling cruel jokes about the president to his face? Bill Maher was deemed “heroic” by some for “speaking truth to power,” but that was nonsense. Was Sandra Fluke “heroic” for whatever it is she did? That’s how Democrats described her at their convention.

The point is simple. Words have specific meaning and using a word not to illuminate or explain but as a political crutch cheapens the language and dilutes the meaning of words like “hero.” You can admire Jason Collins for his decision. You don’t have the right to hijack the English language to service your agenda.

This is a story that will last about 48 hours and then drop out of sight until Mr. Collins either signs with another team or retires. Then, the hysteria will begin again. I suspect that given his abilities, some team in rebuilding mode with a lot of youngsters will sign him for his veteran presence in the locker room and on the court.

Then what? Will it be politically incorrect to cheer against Mr. Collins? Will any criticism by his teammates be seen as homophobia? I suspect those who will seek to use Mr. Collins’ status as a gay pro athlete to further their political agendas — on both sides of the issue — will jump on any controversy, no matter how trivial, in order to score points against the opposition.

For my part, the Chicago Bulls could use a man of character like Jason Collins. I hope they give him a serious look before the start of next season.

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page
Rick Moran is PJ Media's Chicago editor and Blog editor at The American Thinker. He is also host of the"RINO Hour of Power" on Blog Talk Radio. His own blog is Right Wing Nut House.

Perhaps I'm daft, but exactly why do celebrities, no matter how obscure or renown, find the need to disclose everything about themselves. I don't care if someone is gay, straight, neuter gender or a turkey living in a rhino's body, and I suspect most everyone else out here in Normal Life Land doesn't either. Exactly what does public self-disclosure serve except to call attention to oneself? Follow the money, I suppose. Here comes the TV rounds, the talk show circuit, and The Book.
i'm tired of hearing about it. 30 years ago homosexuals wanted to live their lives. they were right. now they want us to live there lives. they are wrong. i don't care who does what to who in the backyard for how much. i don't want to see hormone overwhelmed heterosexual teenagers groping in public and i don't want to hear about the sex lives of homosexual, transgenders, or any other combination of insert tab A into slot B, including heterosexual. your sex life is of interest to you and perhaps the westboro church. how about leaving the rest of us alone.

let the hate responses begin
"Courage" has become just another debased commodity.
I just wish someone would tweet: "I didn't care about Jason Collins sexuality prior to his announcement and I still don't now. I wish him nothing but success and happiness in his future."

In all honesty why should we care? I mean I guess it's a big deal because he's the first "out" athlete in a big name sport. At the end of the day it's his business and I hope he finds a modicum of peace. However.....call me cynical(and I may be) but Collins is a scrub(by NBA standards), he's 34 years old and a free agent.....it's a total win for dude; he either gets signed(and if he doesn't I can see the left saying he hasn't been signed because of him coming out) or he rides this "hero" train on the talk show circuit.
A couple of weeks ago, one of the big anchors (I think Brian Williams, but I'm not sure) stated his surprise at how no athletes had come out. I thought, "Of course you're surprised! You're surrounded by celebrities and politicians! Not every profession attracts narcissists who need to be validated by strangers!"
"Exactly what does public self-disclosure serve..."

A big part of the contemporary Leftism's agenda is the killing off of cultural norms.

This announcement from a sports guy fits the template.
So Mr. Collins announced he's gay.

So what?

Isn't the whole idea of "gay rights" to treat people as individuals regardless of "who they choose to love" or "how they're born" (depending on which arm of the leftist doctrine is talking)? Wouldn't indifference be the ultimate victory, because it would people REALLY DIDN'T CARE if he's gay or not (which is supposed to be the whole point)?
This guy got a call from Barack and some gushing from Michelle to add to all the other gushing out there ? (or so I heard in passing on "the news")

Insane.

A friend of mine had a good line...

"I'm waiting for the press conference for when a women's basketball player comes out as straight."
Collins has been in the league a dozen years and with several different teams, so I would expect that whatever feelings other NBA players and team officials feel about the man should be locked into place based on that, and not on Monday's announcement.

FWIW, the surrounding actions will be more interesting than the announcement -- does Broussard keep his ESPN job for his comments? Meanwhile, former teammate Jerry Stackhouse told the New York Daily News the Collins should be assured of a contract next season because he came out:
...which is where we get into potential problems, if politics are going to decide who does and who doesn't get special treatment in the world of pro sports, which is supposed to be the purest meritocracy the public deals with. Does an NFL team sign the openly gay Middle Tennessee State kicker to a free agent contract, if cutting him at some future time ends up getting the team embroiled in gay rights politics? Teams want as little disturbance to the routine as possible, which is also why the Jets new general manger cut Tim Tebow on Monday, because he didn't want to go through a second season of the quarterback circus.

Creating some mandate to keep marginal players around for non-performance reasons (at least until some A-level player comes out as gay) invites the same type of circus, which in the case of Collins and a 13th NBA season would likely be more the media's fault than the player's, since a role player on one of the NBA's worst teams certainly shouldn't be expecting job security going into the 2013-14 season.
In other important news, the sun was determined to be hot...
It will be interesting to see where this story goes, a non-story in my book.
Plus I'm looking forward to his final years in the Turkish Basketball League, where no sportscasters will say anything.
Liberals manufacture hate. By their standards, the guy's a hero. He's a hero cuz to liberals, America is a land of white, straight privilege, racism, xenophobia, homophobia and who knows what else. White straight people are are so spiritless and immoral one can scarce keep track of their shortcomings, as new ones pop up every week.

Give the guy a ticker tape parade and a medal, and let me get back to my real world of I-don't-give-a-sh-t. He may as well have formally announced he collects comics and thinks they should all be digitized into the Library of Congress or you're not on the right side of history.
1 2 Next View All