Paula Bolyard

April 29, 2013 - 9:00 am

But there is comfort and peace in knowing that God is ultimately in control. When Joseph’s brothers treacherously sold him into slavery, God used him in Egypt to save his family and many others from a massive regional famine. After his father Jacob’s death, Joseph told his brothers, “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive”(Genesis 50:20).

Knowing that God knows the end from the beginning and that He has a purpose in it all brought peace, comfort, and rest from the fear that tormented me prior to my reconciliation to God through Christ.

So why do I need a gun to protect myself if I believe God is in control and “for those who love God all things work together for good” (Romans 8:28)? For the same reason I feed myself and take antibiotics if I have an infection. For the reason I would take radiation or chemotherapy if it would kill cancer that had invaded my body. My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19) and when God provides the means to take care of that temple and keep it alive, we should take advantage of it, whether that means protecting it from invading cancer cells or from a terrorist.

In addition to protecting my own body, I must also consider that my act of self-defense to stop a violent criminal could be a way to show love to my neighbors by stopping the invader from harming untold numbers of others. If I have the opportunity to stop this person from committing violence against my neighbors, it seems that I would have a moral imperative to do so.

PB: "A gun is an inanimate object and as such is morally neutral."

Exactly. An AR-15 semi-automatic rifle in the hands of a terrorist or criminal is an assault weapon. The same AR-15 semi-automatic rifle in the hands of a man defending himself and his family is a defense weapon.

I've known a fair number of people who've wrestled with the moral implications of defending themselves, and some of them have judged me as being morally inferior for being comfortable with the idea of violence.

Here's how I finally learned how to handle it:
Me: If you won't defend yourself, what will you do?
Them: Call the cops.
Me: So, if using violence to defend yourself is wrong how is calling someone ELSE to use violence on your behalf ok?
Them:

Someone saying they don't believe in violence is like saying they don't believe in the flu. It doesn't matter if you believe in it or not, it exists. All you get to choose is how you deal with it.
"Though I passionately support the Second Amendment, I confess that I had never taken the time to earnestly contemplate its practical applications."

Once I became a mother, there was never any doubt that I could kill to protect my children.
Reference answering the front door with a Ruger tucked into your yoga pants.

I don't have any yoga* pants, but whenever I answer the front door I'm wearing my Glock. Mainly because if I'm out of bed, I'm wearing it. (It's called home carry.) Several reasons:
1. If I need to make a sudden quick trip I don't have to "gear up" first. (I have a concealed handgun license, so I can carry most places.)
2. Trouble doesn't RSVP. As an instructor over the last 30 years I've heard too many self-defense stories to count. Working for agencies dealing with sexual assault and other violence I've heard too many non-self-defense stories to count. Almost all of them begin, "It was a routine day..."
3. If you keep a home-defense gun you want it handy, so you can get to it when you need it, and secure, so no one else can get to it. The one place where a gun is most handy and secure is on your person.

YMMV

*I do have sweat pants and running shorts, and a fanny pack.
Paula's comment about questioning her faith in God if she owned a gun reminded me about an old joke. During a flood, a preacher climbed to the roof of his house for safety. Two fire department boats came by to pick him up, followed by a sheriff's helicopter. He declined, saying, "Save someone else...God will provide for me." After he was washed away and drowned, he went to Heaven and came before God, asking, "Lord, why didn't you save me?" And God replied, "I can't understand it...I sent two rowboats and a helicopter..." MORAL: God helps those who help themselves.
Read John Lott's book "More Guns, Less Crime" to learn some of the statistics about defensive gun use. Guns are used every day in the US to STOP crime. Most criminals are afraid of guns, or at least a gun being pointed at them. Guns deter criminals from harming you. Guns are a threat and a deterrent to criminals. Some of them may be crazy, but not all of them and most of them don't want to be shot.

Most guns being used defensively in a criminal attack are not fired a majority of the time. Even less of the time is the criminal wounded and even less of the time is the criminal killed. Guns are a very good deterrent of crime.
Boston has had a long history of residents protecting hearth and home from fellow citizens. Col. George Middleton, Bucks of America, resident of Pickney Street, single handed stopped a mob one June day with a courageous stand and a musket. Boston's finest would be created 40 years after this incident. Good luck to you as you come to a new understanding of the 2nd Amendment.
The most important thing about Romans was the ability to determine who was a Free and a Citizen...
by the fact that they COULD carry a sword, but slaves could NOT.
I'm not "comfortable" owning a gun either, and haven't had one in over 40 years (my last gun back then was a state-trooper-type S&W .357 Magnum revolver). I have lived in mostly "safe" areas much of my life, and have felt no compelling need to have a gun.

I am going to acquire a pistol and join the NRA for the following reason: I am as alarmed as most people who post here about the new gun-control pushes. The fact that the latest national legislative effort failed is no reaosn to let my guard down. The more of us that are armed and the bigger the NRA is, the better. I intend to do the "full Monty," including training, safety precautions, get a permit to carry, you name it. I will still feel "uncomfortable" at some level, but screw that. I live in a 2nd Amendment state, and will take full advantage of that fact while it still remains true.
"The requirement to act in love toward our neighbors, including even the intruder, implies that the least amount of force required to stop the attack should be used, resulting in the least amount of physical harm to the intruder himself."

This is a good way to get yourself killed.

Proper technique is:
Aim for center of mass, shoot until the intruder stops moving.
Proper technique is:
Aim for center of mass, shoot until the intruder stops moving.

I would change that slightly to:
Aim for center of mass, shoot until the intruder is no longer a threat.
Defensive firearm use is not to kill, not to punish, it is to defend yourself and your loved ones from physical harm.
Welcome to the world of Freedom and standing up for Freedom.
Sometimes it takes some very harsh things to convince those among us that the police are not here to protect us, they are here to solve the crime after we have been violated by some criminal.
We are our own protection and we have always been our own protection. Keep many weapons in your surroundings for you cannot tell from where a problem can come from nor can you count on a particular weapon to solve the issue at hand. Don't worry about speed of delivery, be calm, be deliberate and keep control in all situations. Practice, practice, paractice and do some live action, take up hunting for food....
I had a confrontation with an armed suspect and, although I was unarmed because I was a medic, I was convinced then that I could shoot if I had to. Never been tested since that day, hope it never will be.
Partly prejudice on my part, but I would avoid any of the AK family of firearms. They have been the weapon of oppression, favored by the Warsaw Pact, the Soviets and the Chinese Communists, and their clients around the world. Also, being 7.62mm, they're bigger and have more recoil in many cases than the .223 or 5.56 mm rifles.
I own several single-action revolvers and I shoot primarily for sport, so that's what I'd use if the occasion arises and I pray, literally, that it won't.
An AK 47 is a tool like any other firearm. It has been popular because it is relatively inexpensive and extraordinarily dependable. It is accurate enough out to 75 yards or a bit more but that is the range of the vast majority of fights and far more then any self defense situation short of the zombie apocalypse.

An AK does have more recoil but nothing of any real note. It is nothing like a full power hunting rifle. I know several women whose favorite firearm is the AK.

Still, own what you will shoot. If you won't practice with it then it is worse than useless.
1 2 3 4 Next View All