Abraham, Part 1: Are ‘Secular Israelis’ Really Secular?

Or does the biblical patriarch offer a “religious” prototype?

P. David Hornik

April 21, 2013 - 7:00 am

Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will shew thee….

Those are God’s first words to Abraham and, indeed, the first words he ever speaks to a person who can be identified as a Jew. They’re spoken while Abraham (called Abram at this point) is still a Mesopotamian living in an extended family headed by his father Terah.

The land God speaks of is Canaan—Israel. In it, great things will happen:

I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

There is only one precondition for these portentous things: they have to be centered in Canaan. The text gives no explanation for why God singles out Abraham, or why the mission of Abraham and his nation has to be Israel-focused. It is, one might say, a fundament — bedrock.

And once Abraham is dwelling in the land, the majesty of his vocation there recurs like a leitmotif in verses of stunning beauty. For instance:

For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.

And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered.

Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it….

When at a later stage Abraham complains to God that he seems ill-suited to this mission, since he and his wife are unable to conceive, God hints that this is not a permanent state of affairs:

And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.

Genesis, then, like the Hebrew Bible as a whole, is a profoundly Zionist book. In that regard, Abraham’s mission and ethos are like those of the modern state of Israel: to establish (or reestablish) the Jewish people in the Land of Israel, so as to work out their destiny there.

“Secular” Israelis — to the extent that they stay in Israel and are committed to doing so, which describes most of them — participate in this Abrahamic project. But do they perceive it as a religious calling? The abovementioned survey result suggests that they do, as do others in the same study: “the…findings indicate that most Israeli Jews feel a strong sense of belonging and affinity for the State of Israel and Judaism….”

I would add that the totality of life here makes it difficult not to have such affinities.

Mr. Hornik: I'm bit of pendant on the distinction between Jew (or Judean) and Israelite. Much of what happens in the Hebrew Bible, up until the destruction of the Israelite state in 720 BCE, is about Israel. There are no Jewish people to speak at that point. After 720, Judea does becomes the remnant of Israel that remains in existence and continues the Israelite experience. Despite the destruction of the Judean state in 587 BCE, the Judeans continued the traditions established earlier. When they returned in 530 BCE to the Persian province of Yahud they began a long journey that established the Judaism we know today the Jewish of people of today (the descendants of the Judeans). There is of course a continuous link from the proto-Israelite Abraham to the Jews of today, but it is wrong to label Abraham the first Jew. He could though be labeled the first Israelite.
From an early age I learned from sermons and in Sunday school that Abraham, Joseph and Moses (to name my favorites) were heroes. These men were faithful to God, and they were courageous, and they practiced the universal moral code. Jesus can be seen in the same vein (taken to the nth degree by a Christian), God's faithful, courageous and moral man.

To this day I find myself feeling a strong brotherhood for Jews - the race of people chosen by God to establish the universal moral code (love your neighbor as yourself - do unto others as you would have them do to you) and to bring forth His Son as the final path back to God and eternal life. Bless you. Mission accomplished. Now I wonder - what next?

Mission is never accomplished--Israel will continue to be a dynamo contributing all kinds of things to the world in a wide variety of fields.
The greatest things often come in small packages. God speed.
As an Goy, I tend to see Judaism in light of the story in Numbers where some gentleman is murdered by stoning, so as not to shed is blood, and hence gain guilt for untimely twig gathering.

This same murder for solidarity is what fuels Islam now and Christianity from time to time in the past. Tolerance only comes when people turn their back on the murderous parts of their faith.

Such self-congratulation is a bit gauche, to me at least, and I believe that Israel is trying to survive on the false premise that it can cut deals with it enemies by good faith negotiation.
Are you talking Crusades? That was Christendom driving out the islamic hordes that had invaded them. The Inquisition? Again, that was to drive out islam (although Jews got caught up in that one).

Sp - besides Christians trying to keep from being murdered by islam, what exactly do you have against us?
The problem is, and I can only speak as a Christian, people without faith in the entire 20th century murdered on a mass scale never seen before in human history.

For instance, you could take the most egregious, murderous sins in the name of Christianity which is the Spanish Inquisition, compare it to 20th century atheistic states, and atheistic states would be 18,300,000% more likely to commit mass murder.

So obviously the lack of faith by itself doesn't lead to tolerance, and in fact by sheer number the lack of faith seems to lead to the worst forms of intolerance - even when compared to Islam.
I appreciate the thoughtful article being given top billing one again.
My own conclusions on the religious practice of less observant Israeli Jews and their obvious ingrained adherence to Judaism comes from two other Torah based concepts.
The first was the acceptance of The Torah at Sinai by the entire Jewish nation with the declaration that " we will do and we will hear". The other Torah concept is the understanding that living in Israel is a greater mitzva than all the other mitzvot combined .
In a sense all Israelis are in fact " doing " while the " hearing " ( understanding ) will come later.
The main characteristic of Abraham was left out of this article. He followed not the Law because it had yet to be written. He followed God and that "by faith".
"Buber was the son of Carl Buber, an agronomist, and his wife—both assimilated Jews. When Martin was three his mother left his father, and the boy was brought up by his grandparents in Lemberg (now Lviv, Ukraine). The search after the lost mother became a strong motive for his dialogical thinking—his I–Thou philosophy."
My Grandmother and her entire family hailed from Lemberg (I prefer the Germanic/Austrian name to the Russian / Ukrainian). Unfortunately that city, and those environs proved especially horrible in their dealings with the very well established Jewish population there by the start of WWII.

Some places were worse, some better -- Lemberg was on the worse side of things. My Grandmother's mother was thrown out of a multi-story apartment building, from her wheelchair.

All that not-withstanding, it's nice to know that -- to be reminded that Buber came from there. Perhaps he knew my great grandmother (born turn-of century). It's not so far-fetched as one might think, as my Grandmother was among the early women to get a medical degree from the University of Vienna.
my focus was on his mother who left her husband
footnote
Ezekiel 16:15-22

New International Version (NIV)

15 “‘But you trusted in your beauty and used your fame to become a prostitute. You lavished your favors on anyone who passed by and your beauty became his. 16 You took some of your garments to make gaudy high places, where you carried on your prostitution. You went to him, and he possessed your beauty.[a] 17 You also took the fine jewelry I gave you, the jewelry made of my gold and silver, and you made for yourself male idols and engaged in prostitution with them. 18 And you took your embroidered clothes to put on them, and you offered my oil and incense before them. 19 Also the food I provided for you—the flour, olive oil and honey I gave you to eat—you offered as fragrant incense before them. That is what happened, declares the Sovereign Lord.

20 “‘And you took your sons and daughters whom you bore to me and sacrificed them as food to the idols. Was your prostitution not enough? 21 You slaughtered my children and sacrificed them to the idols. 22 In all your detestable practices and your prostitution you did not remember the days of your youth, when you were naked and bare, kicking about in your blood.
Actually, its none of Americas business whether Israelis are really secular or not. They are a sovereign nation!
Don't get your panties in a wad Zeke. Nobody is saying that it is or is not any of America's business. This is an infomative and factual article of interest to many, including non-Americans.
Why should it be an article of interest for any americans? Mosty americans don't care so much for Muslims voicing opinions (in whatever ways they do) about americans lacking of social values and being infidels, according to their religion. Wouldn't it be a much better world if everybody co-existed with others of differing lifestyles and religious values without being judgemental? Sometimes its probably the better, to leave to God, what is His to judge.
Zeke's personal mission in life is to find fault with whatever is written.
Nope, you're wrong again. I criticize hypocrisy and especially religious hypocrisy used self servingly to justify things of politics! If it seems I do a lot of criticizing, it must be because there is so much hypocrisy displayed by the commentors.
I do hope you realize you posted that response Zeke immediately following the scolding of PJMedia people being too "judgmental."

Do you have the ability of introspect? Because I would say if dislike of hypocrisy is what brings you to this board, you would do well to never leave your house before fixing a few glaring personal faults - the most obvious being "do as I say and not as I do."
Oh Tex! The trap proves fruitful once more. Now, that you have obviously gained the skills to identify hypocrisy, why don't you make a conversion in your life and join the small army of realists to combat political and religious hypocrisy or, are you forever enslaved to be just a self serving complainer and blamer activist minion?
Interesting article. Thank you for providing this.

I am happy to see apparently there a number of very bright Jews pondering what exactly does it mean to refer to one's self as Jewish. Because it is a very important personal question that each Jew must answer, whether they intend to or not. I have questioned a few "secular" Jews here on the very subject - myself not Jewish.

But I would place the land of present day Israel not in the days of dividing between Abraham or Moses, but more inclined toward the days of Kings.

And I believe with all my heart that is why Israel, for all of its miraculous accomplishments and dare I say supernaturally inspired accomplishments, though she will survive and even thrive to varying degrees, will continue to struggle with this irrational, global hatred of Jews that weighs on every Jew - both the secular and the religious.

If I could quote my favorite Jewish prophet when he issued this challenge, because I find it as relevant today as 2,700 years ago:

“How long will you hesitate between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow Him."

I would think that a Jew who does not believe in God is no longer a Jew ...
Ed Koch wrote, a few years ago, something like the following:

A man is a Jew first by birth and then by observance. If he ceases to observe the Jewish religion, he remains a Jew by birth. If he doubts this, he should ask his neighbors, who will remind him.

One of the early Zionists, in the years preceding the Holocaust, put it even more bluntly: "Who is a Jew? A Jew is a man whom other men call a Jew." In the context of WWII, that viewpoint is tragically accurate.

It is commonly known that a Jew, according to Judaism, is the child of a Jewish mother (or one who has embraced Judaism as a convert). But Israel's Law of Return, which grants automatic Israeli citizenship to Jews, uses a different standard, which is at least one Jewish grandparent. This standard, which has remained unchanged since the 1940s, is a dramatic and eloquent statement -- if you were Jewish enough to be persecuted by the Nazis, you're Jewish enough for us.
By most accounts Israel's first prime minister, David Ben-Gurion, and its fourth prime minister, Golda Meir, were atheists. They both came from a socialist movement. Ben-Gurion in particular was steeped in the Bible, but seems to have related to it secularly. In any case, their Jewish status is not in question.
Nobody has the authority to say what the minimum requirements are to count as a Jew.
So all Arab Muslims have to do is claim that they are Jews and they will be granted Israeli citizenship under the Law of Return. Who are the Israeli government to decide who is a Jew?

Lets not forget Jews for Jesus, which are currently denied such treatment under the law. They dont pass the Jew test according to the State of Israel. Though they claim to be Jews.

Yet you seem quite comfortable taking upon yourself the authority to declare that nobody has the right to decide. Just how steeped in biblical
scholarship are you?
Someone has to have that authority, no? Otherwise the designation loses all meaning.

However, that "someone" isn't Calatrava, and his/her definition indeed won't wash. A Jew, by the traditional Jewish definition, is someone whose mother is Jewish, or who converted in accordance with Jewish law. Or to put it differently, to be a Jew, either the person him/herself or a direct maternal ancestress has to have made the wholehearted declaration (as at Sinai) "naaseh v'nishma" - we will do [what G-d commands - unconditionally], and we will [afterwards make our best attempt to logically] understand it.

Once that "naaseh v'nishma" has been, so to speak, imprinted on one's spiritual X chromosome, then his or her observance or lack thereof - or belief in G-d or lack thereof - can in no way affect the identity of the soul, just its growth and development.