Quiz! What’s Your TV Sitcom Family Lifestyle?

Who would you rather live with, the Griffins or the Hecks?

Susan L.M. Goldberg

April 17, 2013 - 7:30 am

1. Who’s Your Daddy?

According to the experts, Peter Griffin falls into the Idiot Dad trend in television:

The late ’80s and into the ’90s featured the rise of the idiot dad. [Pop Culture expert Al] Martin says that in an attempt to counteract and ridicule authority and patriarchy, TV moms became overly strong and TV dads turned into buffoons. “The Simpsons” started a wave of deplorable, idiot dads (looking at you, “Family Guy”) who need more mothering by their wives than their kids. Homer Simpson (D’oh!) was more often seen drinking, belching and tripping up rather than doing any real parenting.

As MacFarlane has said, Peter Griffin is funny because Peter Griffin is oblivious. Instead of being involved in his kids’ lives, he avoids them at all costs. In one early episode, Peter blows off his son Stewie’s first birthday party only to realize (after being yelled at repeatedly) that it isn’t about the kids (because they wouldn’t remember it, anyway), it’s about Lois. So, in the interest of keeping his wife happy, he unwittingly gets Meg out of drinking the Kool Aid at a cult function she attended in a desperate attempt to make friends.

Then there’s Mike Heck, patriarch of The Middle clan. A different kind of working middle-class dad, Mike not only takes the time to pay attention to his daughter’s life, he actually … gets involved.

What dad would you want at your dinner table?

A. Peter Griffin

B. Mike Heck

I'm going to go against the conventional wisdom here by saying if I'm going to watch a show I want it to be impactful and Family Guy is impactful. I've probably seen a few dozen episodes though I don't watch regularly. The Middle - even if it represents more wholesome characters - sounds dull and therefore less worth watching than Family Guy.
I have never seen these shows at all. I think maybe I am better off that way.
This is a Conservative site. I doubt many Conservatives know what the heck you are talking about. I know I never watch any of this tripe.
I think Mike's relationship with his kids is pretty nuanced, and they've used a few episodes with Mike's dad and brother to show why he's phobic about 'feelings'. Of course it's used for laughs, but the payoff of most episodes is that Mike fights through the discomfort to do what's right by his kids because he understands what it means to be a father. I don't think 'forced' is the right word to use here.
you have obviously never watched The Middle, Mike Heck only involves himself in his kids' lives when he is forced to do so. shoddy blogging
I must side with Dave on this. Mike does get involved with his kids, sometimes reluctantly, for sure, but no one 'force[s him] to do so.' Shoddy commenting.
Why would anyone take the time to write an article promoting a TV show that they have "obviously never watched"?
I've watched one episode of Family Guy, but I regularly watch The Middle. 'nuf said.