Simone by Sunlight: Can People-Pleasing Save a Romance?

Another life lesson from the cold, beautiful French-Israeli woman who stole my heart by the sea.

P. David Hornik

April 14, 2013 - 7:00 am

I was in people-pleasing mode with Simone for a few reasons. She was exceptionally beautiful; her complex ethnicity—particularly the Frenchness—also greatly appealed to me. She opened worlds to me—Tel Aviv, the night, the sea, maybe even Paris one of these months.

And then there was my side of it. Divorced for seven years, with a few failed affairs behind me, I treated the relationship with Simone like a precious plate perched on a shelf. I thought that if I honored her every whim, made sure not to cross her in any way, the plate could be kept there and wouldn’t fall.

I'm in the only relationship that lasted, my marriage of 15 years (!)

We figured out that neither could make the other's happiness our goal. "I can't make you happy, only you can do that." And don't try to hard to get it, let it get you.

Be yourself, which can include giving of yourself but not simply sacrificing yourself.

Personally, the girl sounds alluringly familiar to, I'm sure, a lot of men. You never had her and never would. In her world, men and women do not meet as equals. She will never be settled, let alone happy.

Yes. that was part of why I ended up feeling sorry for her.
Wish, oh wish this format included editing or the old preview. Should read " ...too hard to get it..."
Sounds like you fell in love with a beautiful butterfly...

However, you can't lament a love that lasted only a season, without also lamenting her very nature that you loved.

Be careful not to serve a life-sentence locked up in a cage of the past. It would be interesting to hear about your prison-break.
My prison-break? Well, I found someone better.
You were very much stuck at that point........and you created the situation that ultimately ended the relationship such as it was. What you see as people pleasing she saw as "petrified"....and as soon as that was confirmed to her she was gone!

When you walk on eggshells to keep a relationship alive and are scared to be yourself for fear of losing it (her)......it's doomed! The woman always knows and no one, not even ill-equipped men, want someone that's theirs for the taking.

In the end she was driving the bus and you were along for the ride.

Lesson learned.........in the experience bank for the next important one if there is one. In my experience, you don't get many in life.

Thanks David for the interesting read!

Thanks to you, and...I've learned lessons and am now doing very well.
I wouldn't put it that strongly, but indeed, my approach was not wise.
I identify with the story you gave us here and I've learned, the hard way, what I think is the lesson you were trying to share with us is. Which is to take charge and show some courage.
" I thought that if I honored her every whim, made sure not to cross her in any way, the plate could be kept there and wouldn’t fall."

This was a huge mistake, obviously. You lost your self respect and that ultimately cost you her respect. Without respect, there can be no relationship.