5 Core Conservative Values in the New Jackie Robinson Biopic 42

It was a different country in 1947 when the Republican president of the Brooklyn Dodgers came up with a gutsy strategy to win the World Series.

John Boot

April 12, 2013 - 6:30 am

3) If you want to get noticed, work hard.

Robinson was a tremendous player for the Kansas City Monarchs and never expected to be a role model for desegregation. But when he gets the opportunity to play for the Dodgers, he vows, “You give me a uniform, you give me a number on my back, and I’ll give you the guts.” In the movie, he’s shown diligently learning two new positions (a former shortstop, he had to learn both second base and first base to play for the Dodgers) to help the team. His work ethic endears him to fellow Dodgers Pee Wee Reese and Ralph Branca, who treat him warmly even as some other players demand to be traded away.

I'm not really getting where these are CONSERVATIVE values, other than the perception that "conservatives are good, therefore all virtuous qualities are reflected in them and their lives." As a person who has seen both sides of the political spectrum up close, having lived half his life in Alabama and half in San Francisco, I can attest that this is flawed thinking at best; utter nonsense at worst. Not that conservatives never embody these virtues, mind you -- they just don't own them.

Believe me, I know and have known plenty of staunch Southern Republicans who reject the idea that "merit is colorblind," and would snort derisively at the very notion of turning the other cheek. And I've certainly never seen a lick of evidence that folks on the right believe in hard work more than those on the left. Laziness is a character trait, it's not yoked to one's political philosophy.

And if conservatives are so much more pro-"loving family" (as if liberals were utterly indifferent to theirs!), why are the states with the highest divorce rates mostly red and the states with the fewest mainly blue?
I wonder how many of today's leftist "progressives" also know that Jackie was a staunch capitalist? He helped to found Freedom National Bank and was adamant that blacks form pools of capital to build black-owned businesses. He never really joined the ranks of those who felt that the "man" had to be punished first by providing "stuff" in order to atone for his "guilt." I am old enough to have great memories of Jackie Robinson at Ebbets Field and sincerely believe that today he would be a great fan of Herman Cain, Ben Carson, and Charles Payne.
Sports in general teaches us to turn the other cheek, not to be controlled by the bullies, as the left would have us do, but rather to beat them on the field. When the other team is playing dirty, don't stoop to their level- win instead.
There is also a good article in today’s WSJ that ends with this quote, “I can testify to the fact that it was a lot harder to turn the other cheek and refuse to fight back than it would have been to exercise a normal reaction”, “But it works, because sooner or later it brings a sense of shame to those who attack you. And that sense of shame is often the beginning of progress.”
an excellent movie capturing the times and events.

And what Jackie went through, should put to shame black leaders, race pimps and hustlers that by their actions denigrate the incredible accomplishment of this man, and what he went through so others wouldn't.

But now we get excuses for evil behavior, we get lies to promote agendas and we get families that don't exist, which is the key to success in the world because growing up poor is one of the surest ways to maintain oneself in poverty.

And Jackie didn't make excuses, he excelled.

Reminds me of Buck O'Neill who was excluded from MLB, and when I had asked him if he was bitter, as so many blacks seem to be, he told me he was too busy living his life and didn't have time to waste it on non productive activities.

These values are long gone.