Susan L.M. Goldberg

April 10, 2013 - 7:00 am
YouTube Preview Image

#5 Women Are Backstabbers

Loving and supportive we are not, at least not towards each other. The Myth of the Backstabbing Bitch has been entertainment fodder for ages.  According to one linguist, a woman’s tongue has been her primal weapon throughout the ages. While men fought with their fists to claim territory, women talked their way into battle in order to keep the social pecking order in line. For those inclined towards intelligent design, Eve was the first to blame her husband for her own sin. Either way, cultural myth has determined that women trash-talk to blame others, only to end up maligning their own character along the way.

YouTube Preview Image

#4 Women Are Hyper-Emotional

The typical male response to “men are idiots” involves depicting women as emotional nutcases. While mood swings are usually accompanied by hormonal imbalances normally associated with certain cycles (that’s the verbose way of saying, despite what my feminist friends may think, women do suffer PMS), we are, in general, relatively normal and thoughtful creatures. Perhaps too thoughtful at times. But, thanks to the few women who made it big (Emily Dickinson, Virginia Woolf, Sylvia Plath) before and during First Wave Feminism, any time we shed a tear we’re simply two steps from sticking our head into an oven.

Of course, any good screenwriter will tell you that success relies on drama and drama relies on conflict. In other words, the reason Donna Reed and Mrs. Cleaver aren’t big news on television anymore is that their placid nature is simply, well, boring. In fact, most women in the movies and on television in the golden age were fairly calm, completely collected, and quite in charge most of the time. I don’t recall an emotional nutcase entering the scene until the dawn of Method Acting, aka Emotive Gymnastics. (Even then, the early portrayals were more closely tied to mental illness than womanhood.  Move over, Virginia Woolf.)

While I doubt you’d ever put Kim Kardashian into the same category as Joanne Woodward or Natalie Wood (seriously, don’t, or I’ll have to hurt you), she definitely knows how to make a scene. In fact, she’s great at taking cues from Seinfeld when it comes to making a scene about nothing.

YouTube Preview Image

Stop insulting hillbillies!
I never quite understood how you "empowered" yourself by becoming exactly what the so-called patriarchal power structure wanted you to be - an easy, discardable sex object they had no continuing obligation to once they had used you for their own pleasure. Maybe I'm just too repressed by my happy married life with to understand.
I'm glad that I don't really know who any of these people are.

My mom always had freshly baked cookies, fresh squeezed lemonade, dinner ready for Dad when he came home from work, time to help us with homework or take us to the park. She put those 50's sitcom moms to shame. And she enjoyed doing it. And my grandmother was twice my mom. If you happened to walk through her yard, my grandmother would make you wait on the porch while she cooked you something. There were always a postman or meter-reader or policeman or somebody at her table. If someone robbed her house, she would have gotten up to cook the robbers a meal. She was always genuinely happy and genuinely interested in you. She was just a housewife, but 1500 people showed up for her funeral.
"For those inclined towards intelligent design, Eve was the first to blame her husband for her own sin."

Ah, no. Eve blamed the serpent. ("The serpent deceived me and I ate it." Genesis 3:13)

Adam managed to blame both Eve and God. "The man said, "The woman you put here with me - she gave me some fruit from the tree and I ate it." (Genesis 3:12)
Kim Kardashian is the poster girl for the Feminist movement.

Pretty much says it all, doesnt it?
Personally, I do ot see the appeal of any of these shows. It is a testament to the low state of our culture that they succeed.
How does a fat, stupid floozy become a role model? I don't get it.
Huh?
Sorry. I enjoy reading about culture here and there. The 'there' of this article completely escapes me.
I forgot to ask: Does she remind anyone else of Zoolander?
In what way is Kim Kardashian empowered? She may not have a pimp but she is still just prostituting herself for fame. Anyone that watches the show is in danger of being arrested for solicitation. Change the channel and let the tramp disappear.
Women are to blame if you're looking for someone to blame. Women like Marcia Clark and the O.J.Simpson jury, the wife of the marathon bomber, the 60+ % that voterd for Obama, Sandra Fluke, Nancy Pelosi. The fact that is too impolitic to mention and too unflattering to acknowledge (and every trial attorney knows) is that women, as a demographic, are irrational.
1 2 Next View All