3 Unwritten Short Stories Still Haunting This Ex-Fiction Writer

Will the day ever come for me to bring these ghosts of mind to life on the page?

P. David Hornik

March 31, 2013 - 7:00 am

This one harks back to when I lived in Jerusalem, which I left in 2006. The idea arose some years after that.

A man of 50, a professor—let’s say, of political science—at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, is at last granted a long-cherished dream. A research institute in the city will allow him to work solely as a researcher, preparing and writing articles and books.

He’ll no longer have to engage in teaching, which he always regarded as a burden and a hindrance. He’ll have his own office, which looks out on a pleasant street in one of the better Jerusalem neighborhoods.

Yet, sitting in the office, he finds himself strangely immobile.

He looks at the blue-grey dusk outside the window and finds himself lost in it. He feels the silence of 50 years of life. Deep voices are saying he cannot just sit here, content, and write about his professional subjects. There are too many loose ends, there are shoals in his life he has to stop ignoring.

I want to read the rest of these stories. Please consider finishing them and finding an outlet. Duotrope.com provides an easy submission and tracking tool. Yes ,you will have to send them out to a lot of places, so what else is new? Keep writing.
Thanks for the encouragement. Writing? Yes. Fiction? Don't think so.
My classmate's mom makes $74 an hour on the laptop. She has been unemployed for seven months but last month her payment was $18637 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site Fox78.com
Ernest Hemmingway was a working man,i can tell that he took the time to do it.I get the feeling that when he didn't know where to start,HE STARTED.
Only three? ;)
Art, in this case, a short story, is usually an expression of an idea. That's what sits on top, and what those who consume art rather than make it see.

Under the hood, in that place which separates an idea, which is something we all have, from an expression of that idea in a specific field of art, in this case writing, is the language of that art, and where the true artistry lies.

So, great art is like a magician who conspicuously shows us a thing, but how it is shown is a mystery. We have no access to the engine which drives the thing.

This is why the vast majority of movie goers will be astounded by a movie and leave thinking it was the story, while not really understanding how a staging of a scene, a crucially well done edit here and there at the intersection of a great musical score, the right lens at the right time affected them.

What is undone is the language behind the language. Done well, buying a sandwich could be interesting. So, there is the story, and there is the telling of the story. Done poorly, an interesting story and idea is an artistic nap. Done well, a boring story is great art.

What is unfinished is to tinker under hoods and choose engines. That is success/fail, not what a character will do. What a character will do is merely a sleight of hand - amusing or clever in itself, but irrelevant.

I have read many clever stories and wished to shed tears - not because they are poignant, but because of the sheer inartistry.

Clever may be good in Ellery Queen, but how much better would that Ellery Queen be if it soared above that? Crossword puzzles are not art. Art is art. That is the unfinished idea. You have only to grasp at that, and each story would write themselves in a single day.

This explains why so many short stories that are interesting ideas leave us wondering what the license plate number was. We often don't know why because we are the reader, not the writer. Too many writers should be readers. I wish more of them left their stories unwritten, because it is choking the field.
"In that sense, it is not the stories which are unwritten, because they clearly exist. You have just now written them. It is not where they will go which is unfinished, because they all 3 could end as they are and be compelling."

Perhaps, but if I sat down to write them they would go other places. Where, I don't know. If something doesn't surprise me as I'm writing it, I can't write. I still think the idea is paramount--"matter over manner" as I think Socrates or Plato put it (in translation of course). The execution is a matter of long practice, but the idea, the content, "something to say," has to be there first.
I disagree. Art is a case of manner over matter. That crucial error in thought is why everyone thinks they can make art and why so little art actually is.

No doubt the idea has to be there first. But everyone has ideas, not everyone can make art. Your stories may well go other places, but the manner of them would not. That manner is residing in you even now. It resides in all of us and we often don't even think of it that way. It is us and our specific view of the world. It is completely natural. Seeing it and trusting it is not natural. Right there is the separation of idea and art - your idea of an idea.

As for being surprised, this is of course for you to say. But I would say that if you're blocked, sitting down and letting your unconscious instinct speak while you write it down can be its own surprise and discovery.

You seem to be addressing money and fame and art at the same time in general, but more specifically art. I have offered an artist's solution. Art is what no one else can do - only you. I can have an identical idea. I cannot have it like you would.
And they are of course three cuts at the same auto-biographical sketch, what I don't know is if you've already published one or more versions of same.

Perhaps when the silence breaks, the story gets written, a time or three.
I have a deep resistance to self-publishing. It seems like cheating to me.
So write them and publish them on Kindle. Disintermediation is da bomb.