Your Novel in 13 Weeks, Part 3: The Plot Wars

By all means take up arms in the fight between "plotters" and "fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants-ers." Just remember to take up a pen too.

Sarah Hoyt

March 26, 2013 - 2:00 pm
<- Prev  Page 4 of 4   View as Single Page

Full Steam Ahead

Whichever way you’re going to do it, pick one, and start writing.  Despite the heat writers generate when arguing over methods, if your results are good, no one cares how you got there.  And if your results are bad, it was a learning experience.

You can always change from one method to the other, if it doesn’t suit you or even if it stops working for you.

It’s your method, and you can do it however you want.  If the other side declares you a plotting/pantsing infidel, tell them I gave you dispensation.

We’re writers, anyway.  The worst any of us would do is kill you in a story, and since we also routinely kill our best friends and fans, that’s almost a compliment.

<- Prev  Page 4 of 4   View as Single Page
Sarah Hoyt lives in Colorado with her husband, two sons and too many cats. She has published Darkship Thieves and 16 other novels, and over 100 short stories. Writing non-fiction is a new, daunting endeavor. For more on Sarah and samples of her writing, look around at Sarah A. Hoyt.com or check out her writing and life blog at According to Hoyt.com.

Two good strategies but i employ neither.I carry a little notebook to catch my cluster f of observations and thoughts as they fly in and land.
The problems from this disfunctional neighborhood where i live and that makes my children stay away.Am i one in the same?I want it to be a how not to guide,but say to myself that i like it,here in my yuppy free zone.
I know when I write that I don't develop any type of outline. I forgot where I read it but I follow the "write it down" rule of thumb: Whatever comes to mind write it down and don't stop until you've finished your thought. Once you've written it down go back, read it, edit it, then read it again, then edit it again. If that makes me a pantser so be it.
I tried being a complete panster, and I just got lost wandering from scene to the next. My problem is that I can come up with characters and I can think of interesting scenes to put them in, but when it came time to get those scenes to lead from point A to point B, I couldn't get it to work.

I finally had to concede that I needed to do the "icky" work of figuring out where my story was going and what it was doing overall; then it was just a matter of taking my scenes and working them into the plot. Once I did that and started working things out on that scale, things fell into place much easier. All the interesting character pieces now had a place and potential reason for being in the overall grand scheme of things. Now, I just need to finish those last touches on the Master Plan. I am itching to really dig in and add all the juicy details, the fun part.

I've been dying to do that because this planning stage is anything but fun. My imagination keeps distracting me with what and how my characters might interact and behave at every stage and I want to write that, but I want to finish the big picture first. But I'm one of the methodical people who wants to get the "no fun" done before I reward myself with the goodies.
I agree,my notes resemble a stack of cards,that fell off the table,i must rely on a skeleton to tape them into a readable story!
Does "backstory" count as plotting? I rather doubt it, but I know where my characters come from and against what background the story unfolds (in 2068 [I may need to move that back to 2058 for other reasons], the US is not broke [I have no idea why not], nanotech and the singularity are still "just around the corner"). My protagonist (she even has a first name: Kate) has about 30,000 people in the same boat to keep her company.

Still need High School (which probably implies city and state), last names, company names, parent's associates (at least in general - politicians? high society? rich but unpretentious?).

I just realized I'm going to be writing about a teen-aged girl. I have no personal experience. Hopefully the CW and Twilight have been good tutors (yes, that's scary). Need to get out of that phase, quickly. Perhaps I'll open when she's in college. Perhaps I'll tell the story from the brother's (Tom, yay, a name!) perspective.

On the other hand, it is about telepaths, so 3rd person omniscient might be the route to take.

BTW: I feel lonely - not that it will stop me. Is no one else taking up Sarah's challenge?
Solved the "I know nothing about it" recipe for disaster: Story starts with Kate in business with her brother, not a high-school girl. A few words from the brother about "I always looked after you" will provide enough background. If more is needed, a couple of flashbacks should do it. No need to start the story so far before the main action.

Still no outline, but I have an hour...
In case anyone is paying attention, I have an outline. 14 chapters, it looks like. (and, no, it didn't take six days to write it; I just came back to see if there was another post in this series, which there is.)
I'm more of a pantser myself--though admittedly, I haven't heard that term before. My wife's definitely more of a plotter. We've learned to live and let live on this issue.

Although, to be honest, we've both done some moving toward the middle. She writes more from scratch these days, while I sometimes need to take a step back and figure out where a story is going.