Doomsday Preppers Weeks 14 & 15: Oops, My Bad

Also: the highest-rated, most effective prepper of the season.

Bob Owens

March 16, 2013 - 12:00 pm

Freda is a descendant of the Hatfields, specifically Devil Anse Hatfield, the leader of the clan during America’s most infamous feud. She lives in a homestead in the backwoods of western Virginia, where she prepares for a nuclear weapon to bring an EMP attack. Well, the show says “backwoods,”  but the constant sound and occasional view of traffic in the background suggest they’re actually on a moderately busy two-lane road.

I’m impressed with the mechanical ingenuity of Freda’s boyfriend Mike, if not his intelligence or practicality. There is a reason catapults and throwing stars are obsolete, and if there is an EMP, building a waterwheel to charge batteries is a pointless exercise when the electronic devices and appliances themselves are fried beyond repair.

They have good food stores, but when it came time to rank their water supply, I’m not sure what the experts at Practical Preppers saw that didn’t make the show. Freda has a mountain stream, drilled well, and artesian well on her property, and still got one of the lowest water scores I’ve ever seen. One might deduce they lack any way of purifying the water, but the show simply fails to explain why. Armed with a single shotgun, pistol, and a compound bow (in addition to Mike’s homemade weapons and their not-so-backwoods and relatively undefended location), they got a low security score as well. They are given just seven months of survival time.

It looks like the McCoys have a better chance this time around.

Hyperinflation 1923

Listen closely and hear if anything sounds familiar to today!
I'm going to ding the Kansas guy for being soft about doing without a/c. Come on, he's out in the woods in a well-shaded house. I lived my first 17 years in the city in a house without a/c in the same climate. My great-grandmother did it without electricity for even longer.
I'm only set for two to three weeks of fuel for the generator (about as loud as a conversation) and twice that of food, heat and other expendables. I figure that will get us through a Katrina sized disaster. In something worse, it should put us way ahead of most people without drawing much attention.
The Andrea Gail was 72 feet. If God wants ya he ll get ya

Also the sea has a way to make even a nice person nasty and mean

"It is a matter of supernatural indifference to me whether you contaminate the natives or the natives contaminate you. I have but one concern - our mission. Let one of you provoke an incident which endangers it and I shall cause that man to curse his mother for giving him birth. " Captain Blah
Haven't seen either episode. Thought the season was over. I will point out that the ash from Yellowstone would head East not West. So the one guy who has the least to worry from an eruption is doing exactly that.