Susan L.M. Goldberg

March 13, 2013 - 2:00 pm
YouTube Preview Image

Coulterism #5:  LAUGH AT YOUR ENEMIES

My love affair with Ann Coulter was sparked by her quick-witted sense of humor. Oddly enough, her sarcastic jabs often get her into more trouble than her actual argumentation. This is most likely due to the reality that well-researched and documented facts are fairly difficult to dismiss. Coulter’s deft one-liners delivered in rapid response are her true claim to fame and the main reason liberals love to hate her. This is ironically funny considering that many liberals feel free to sling around non-PC stereotypes and trash-talk for laughs, political points, and, most importantly, ratings.

Ann’s counterculture spirit drew me into her work. Despite what pseudo-yippies stereotype as “counterculture,” Ann’s love of the Grateful Dead, her quiet yet powerful faith that transcends the typical church-state cultural divide (“I don’t really care what people say about me, I’m a Christian so there’s nothing anyone can ever do to me…”), and her role as the honorary chair of the GOProud advisory council make Coulter more of a stereotype-breaker than Gen X & Y’s typical hippie-wannabes. Unlike most “rule-breaking,” self-loathing comedians whose mockery is a thinly veiled plea for acceptance, Coulter’s comedy stems from her embrace of the fact that the “reality” liberals claim to be the truth is a big, fat lie. There is no better way to respond to a liar who swears they’re telling the truth than by simply laughing in their face.

While I gravitate toward the Dr. Ben Carson style as the one I prefer, let me give AC her props.

In a Republican wasteland where the "big names" play nothing but prevent defense...she is one of the very rare offensive weapons.

She is willing to scrap and doesn't back down to bullying, slander, lies and treason. She wears the uniform and is willing to get some grass stains on it. I love her for it.

Again, a little of the "harsh" goes a long way...and I prefer the Ben Carson style as a steady diet...but Ann fills a craving to hit back twice as hard once in a while. For the punching bag GOP, that's not just a relief...it's a necessity.
Yes, though part of that evil vibe is caused by her insistence to provide facts and figures, and all the mathematical basis those entail, and far to many liberals are unable to respond with anything other than emotions. Yes, it can be mean to remind people that math happens.
Hey Susan,
If you are reading these comments, I have something I would like to send you, but it's an image from Facebook - from the page of the aforementioned Film Studies Professor. One of his students found your article and posted it on his page and he made some comments about it. I'd like to send it to you, but not sure where to send it (it's a photo, so I have to attach it) I think you will want to see it!
well bless your heart susan!

(southern euphemism for those who are so breathtakingly cluelss they don't realize how ridiculous they appear)

and looking down the comments here wanna give a shout out to most contributors, bless your hearts!
Coulter fans are smart so there's no need to explain your cheesy insult.

AC's "Godless" did it for me.

"Truth is the ultimate weapon and there is no defeating it."

I was just reading the same thought in Aristotle's Rhetoric.

As to Ms. Coulter, America needs more like her.
Ann Coulter got me through high school and college. Strongly worded conservative thought, with a research chaser.
Ahem....

"Romney is the most electable candidate not only because it will be nearly impossible for the media to demonize this self-made Mormon square, devoted to his wife and church, but precisely because he is the most conservative candidate."

Not yet ready to forgive - and I never forget.
In fairness to Ann, the field really was not that great. My guy was Perry but he really should have waited until he was off meds. I ended up voting for Newt but in objective hindsight he would have lost worse. Santorum? Bachman? Cain? LOL.

I agree. Romney was the best choice. Priebus is right, we need a shorter, earlier primary season. If we had had that, he could've won.
I really liked Perry as well from a policy standpoint. It just sucked that he doesn't come off too well on camera.

I also liked Newt, but it seems Coulter can never get past the fact the guy has had more than one wife so despite his past history of success in Congress he appears to not measure up to her purity standards. I honestly think Newt would have had the political temperament and experience to actually go after Obama instead of playing by country club rules as Romney did.

Had the candidate been willing to fight - and espouse an agenda of personal freedom from government interference while being able to ignore the consultants - Obama was quite defeatable.
Which candidate was more electable than Romney? Romney would have won if the campaign had been run more competently.
"Which candidate was more electable"?

Any of the other candidates that did NOT have Romneycare hanging around their neck like an albatross. This took the issue of Obamacare completely off of the table during the debates even though it was - and still is -overwhelmingly unpopular in this country.

Get past all of that, and THEN you can start debating about how well the actual mechanics of the campaign were carried out....which were pretty abysmal all by themselves.

Sadly, that very lackluster campaigning was symptomatic of the incredibly flawed candidate the GOP leadership insisted we all get behind during an election that should have been a walk away victory for ANYONE running against Obama!

A candidate that Coulter assured us was the only "electable" one.
"Any of the other candidates that did NOT have Romneycare hanging around their neck like an albatross."
So you believe that Rick Santorum was more likely to win the general election than Mitt Romney. Got it.

"Also, having a candidate who had had not raised taxes and or signed gun control policies would have helped tremendously."
How would those policies have made Romney more electable?
Goo look at the 1994 election.
I went to a fine arts college. It turned out the stunning iconoclasts there were the greatest group of redneck conformist jar heads I'd ever met. My last day of college, after four years, I went there high on mushrooms, walked around the building and talked to people I ran into and said my good-byes. Most of them didn't like that or thought I was nuts. I did and wasn't.
I love Ann, and the Grateful Dead. She fights! Great article.
Dittos from another Ann fan