The 10 Best Places to Eat in Austin, Texas

A local's guide for SXSW visitors to find the tastiest food in town.

Bryan Preston

March 9, 2013 - 12:00 pm
<- Prev  Page 2 of 11  Next ->   View as Single Page

9. Bacon. Location: 900 W 10th. It is exactly what it sounds like — a restaurant devoted wholly to the appreciation, nay worship, of bacon. Be forewarned that this restaurant is tiny and seating can be difficult to come by. But it’s incredible.

My son lived in Austin far too long (now lives in Seguin!) and used to take me to restaurants he proclaimed were wonderful, but I never had a meal in any of those restaurants that was better than the ones near me in Corpus or the ones I preferred in San Antonio. I see some commentators here like Threadgills. Their food is remarkably blah but their entertainment is usually good. The best meal I ever had there was a hamburger with my four-year old grandaughter, when she heard a woman coughing and hacking and said to me, "Nonno, someone has got a dog in here." It brought the house down.
There are many other places too which are very nice for hang outs. They are missing above. Take look around and you will find some more awesome places.
new york activities for kids [http://feelday.com]
As a 37 year resident of Austin, I have to ask what idiot prepared this list. Certainly it was not a resident. Maybe someone from Houston or Dallas who thinks he knows things by talking to other people. I can understand why an ex political hack would list Texas Chili Parlor and the yuppified college hangouts on the list, but some of the omissions (see the other comments) reflect an astonishing ignorance of the city.

And no, JustAl, Threadgills hasn't closed down although its prices have increased with its popularity, so expect a basic lunch to set you back close to $20. I used to eat there several times a week, but now it's several times a month instead.

And don't forget Schlotsky's, too, although by now they're hardly just an Austin phenomenon. By the way, where's The County Line? Also expensive, but I've never seen anyone serve beef ribs like they do. Also missing - The Oasis - although they turned that into a gigantic tourist destination and theme park when they rebuilt after the fire. The Hoffbrau? What else is missing?
Wow! 37 years. I ask this in all sincerity. How do you do it?

I can't spend more than 10 minutes in Austin without someone, besides my brother-in-law, pissing me off to the point I want to do them grievous bodily harm and I'm a pretty relaxed live and let live kind of guy.

Tolbert, you know Austin, that's for sure. I always say that Austin is like a sinkhole opened up and all the carzies, zainies, commies, and fools rolled down into it.
What about the Magnolia Cafe? Kerby Lane? Austin Java?
OK, I admit I've not lived in Austin for almost 20 years, but has Threadgill's closed down?
Since you haven't mentioned breakfast I thought I would clue you in on the Upper Crust Bakery , 4508 Burnet Road, Austin.

I am sure that I will incur the wrath of Austinites, but I don't live there and if it gives my Austin dwelling, left of Nancy Pelosi, brother-in-law grief by overcrowding his haunts, then so much the better.