Do Women Belong in Racing?

Danica Patrick has been given the title of “most successful female in American open-wheel racing.” I am currently rolling my eyes.

Becky Graebner

March 7, 2013 - 1:00 pm

Patrick has been given the title of “most successful female in American open-wheel racing.” I am currently rolling my eyes—not because I think Patrick is not successful, but because this title belongs to someone who has won one race: the 2008 Japan Indy 300.  One race.  I think she, and other female drivers, can do better than one win in order to have the title of “most successful female.”  Male drivers who win one race are not given titles — they don’t receive a ribbon for participation. Of course Patrick can win a race. She has two hands, two feet, and the will to do so—just like her male competitors.  Congratulations on your race, Danica Patrick.  Now go out, go give ‘em hell, and do it again!

In addition to “most successful woman in American open-wheel,” Patrick also holds the record for “most consecutive finishes in IndyCar.” Again, I don’t mean to diminish this accomplishment, because she is currently beating the boys, but let’s break this down. She holds this title because out of the 115 races she started, she finished 50 of them in a row. This statistic means that she started in a race and managed to budget her tires, not crash, not get disqualified, and survive the g-forces in order to cross the finish line after a certain amount of laps, 50 times in a row. Honestly, my gut reaction is so say, “So what?” Yes, it takes both mental and physical strength, as well as sheer talent, to operate a racecar; but the fact that Patrick finished 50 races in a row, and won one, doesn’t mean she’s the epitome of success. If her statistics for “race wins” were compared with a male driver with similar figures, the male driver would be considered mediocre. One of the greatest F1 drivers of all time, Michael Schumacher, had 307 starts in his career–with 221 finishes in the points, 24 consecutive finishes in the points, and 68 poles. Oh, he also had 91 wins.

Patrick has been in competing since 1995. Despite having top crews and cars to compete in her record is mediocre at best. Reminds me of Anna Kornikova, the sexy Russian tennis player who made major money from commercials and endorsements w/out winning a singles tournament.
I am personally acquianted with a former Indy Car champion, NASCAR driver and Nationwide series driver who has competed against Ms. Patrick for over 10 years in all 3 series. In his opinion, and reputedly that of many other drivers, her skill level is mediocre at best when compared to the best in the sport. As the author pointed out Danica has exactly one win in those 3 series racing against other drivers. A man with her record would most certainly be relegated to one of the minor league series.

There are a good many top notch drivers who have multiple Sprint Cup and Nationwide wins to their credit who don't have a ride in the big show. Danica is a marketing ploy by NASCAR and Stewart-Haas Racing to boost flagging sponsorhip money and attendance. IMHO it is a move that sucks as drivers with better records who have paid their dues go w/o a ride while she gets all the attention and the best equipment and crews money can buy.
.Imagine the hype if Ms. Patrick ever actually WINS a NASCAR event
Didn't the pole sitter and almost all of the others lose?
Because she is so much lighter (100 pounds) than the lightest men, she has been given a 50 pound minimum vehiclce + driver weight advantge, just like she was a filly in the Kentucky Derby.

Like Roger Maris, if she wins she'll always have an asterisk.
Roger Maris had no control over the length of the season.
As an Indycar fan, was really happy when Danica decided to leave for Nascar. Trust me, in a little while you will be hearing complaints about "all Danica, all the time" from fans getting fed up, I sure was at Indy. Afterall, they've already had some complaints about the "Danica 500" Daytona. Racing comes in second.
If being bad at a sport qualifies me to opine on who else would be bad I think I am qualified.

I attempted to drive once. Not real race cars show room stock. It was fun. I was terrible. To me racing a car is a wonderful blend of knowledge and instinct.

So without ever having been in a real nascar i have to suspect Danica is like the other 'real' drivers I raced against. only multiplied by 1000.

So, just the fact that she is there, and able to finish says something.
If Danica wasn't attractive we would never hear about her. Sex sells.
She's attractive.. come on!

I saw the white bikini pic of her supposed 'sexiness' a few years back. Pock-marked face. Floppy chest, thunder thighs and snaggle-tooth toes.

Not to mention she throws temper tantrums which seems like ALL THE TIME when she doesn't finish a race..

The woman's grotesque.
*yawn* ho-hum...

Any such discussion only prolongs the agony. Every person should be estimated by his abilities, period. I don't ever want to hear this dreary dialogue again.
Greetings:

I once had a discussion with a feminist about women's entrance into the workforce and I offered two shreds of what there is left of my wisdom.

The first was that I grew up in the Bronx of the '50s and '60s, in what some see as the depths of the patriarchal oppression, in a working/lower middle class neighborhood. My recollection is that probably more 50% of the women in our neighborhood had some sort of employment. My father had three sisters who never married; two were mangers for large corporations and the other was a registered nurse. So, that whole exclusion argument never held much water in my mind. If there was exclusion, it was more likely from certain jobs that certain women wanted rather than from the workforce in general.

The second aspect was what I referred to humorously as the "bimbofication" of work. As technologies developed and became available, more jobs fell within the primarily physical abilities of our womenfolk. Previously "male-dominated" jobs (and what a triumph that wording is. If it's mostly males who are the males "dominating"? But, gee, it sure does reinforce that oppression theme now doesn't it?) became more available to women due to the compulsive power of governments at all levels. Again my experience intrudes. I spent 30 year or so in the printing industry, and I can't remember but one female large press operator.

So, we now have a female race car driver of some skill whose career among other things is useful to perpetuate the oppressed female narrative that is so important to those like Nancy Pelosi, whom no one knows as the First Female ex-Speaker of the House of Representatives of the United States Congress. But me, I sticking with that Bell Curve logic and in something like race car driving the men's curve will prove to be more successful than the women's. Except in advancing the narrative, that is.
1 2 3 Next View All