5 Controversial Ways to Enjoy the Decline of America

"Captain Capitalism" wants you to tune in, drop out and go Galt.

Kathy Shaidle

March 5, 2013 - 7:00 am
YouTube Preview Image

#2 — Don’t go to college

Clarey (and I) have written about this before.

Take all the money you were saving up for college and start your own business, as long as, Clarey writes, it isn’t “something stupid like ‘horse farms’ or ‘coffee shops’ or other such profitless hobbies that only morons pursue.”

Alternately, he advises, join the military or learn a trade:

Another benefit of the trades is that trade certification is a lot cheaper than earning a four year degree. Most trade programs are only two year, granting you an associate degree in that field, and nearly all of them offer better employment prospects than your average liberal arts degrees because they are a “skill.” Additionally, because they are a “skill,” you are immediately put to work. A friend of mine graduated with a degree in auto mechanics. His first job wasn’t not filing or faxing or fetching coffee. He didn’t have to “work his way up” to being a mechanic. And there was no ass-kissing or brown-nosing required to ingratiate himself to his bosses so they’d be kind enough to let him finally start wrenching on cars. His skill was too valuable and his employer needed him to do what he was trained to do — work on cars.

YouTube Preview Image

Whole subject is depressing. But don't have children? I can tell you that your children are the only thing of real worth you have done. All the rest is fleeting as well as trivial.
As a surfer, I disagree with Clarey’s premise, that the best way to go is to ride out the wave for as long as possible before it expires into the sand.

“Going Galt” doesn’t mean to die as painlessly as possible without extending the agony of life more than necessary, but to regroup and reconquer.

There’s ebb and tide in human affairs.

After four more years of economic misery, the country will be more responsive to voting Socialist bums out of office. (If not four, then eight. If not eight, then twelve. But eventually, the economic pain and the legal restraints on liberty will be too much to endure, like in the former Soviet Union.)

In the meantime, we must regroup, not expire. Eventually, enough citizens will wake up, and we’ll reclaim our freedom from government tyranny. Long Live Liberty!
Is this written as satire? Tongue-in-cheek? That is how I interpreted it!
Anybody showing a clip with Bill Whittle is OK with me.
OK, I got through (1). Retirement is not new? Does anyone ahve a sense of history anymore? Retirement was always around; it was the age when you were physically incapable of working. And the classic retirement plan is that your sons (thus the age-old aversion to daughters) would take care of you. (See: "not having children".)

I will have to work until I am 70 or starve to death. But I am not sure I will be able to work until then or much after. I would, however, be like to live past then, do the things I never had time for while working. (No, that isn't silly, plently of my relatives did this.)
I am OK with most of what you wrote except for the part about not having children. Beyond their emotional and spiritual value, the are also pragmatically important.

None of us can get by alone. We all need as much help as we can muster. In a world where the state is our slave master we have to look to our families and friends for help. And no one is more closely bound to you than your children. They are the people who will be young and strong when you are old and weak. They need you you when they are young and you will need them later.

Therefore instead of investing yourself in paper or dead things it is far better to invest in your family.

My advice would be to have at least 4 children, for their protection and yours.

The figure you cite of $200,000 to raise a child is only meaningful if you plan to play the class game of status in the suburbs of the big cities. Since your advice is to opt out of that, it does not apply.

Children are cheap, they are small and can be stacked up like cord wood. They don't eat much and if you have a garden and a couple of chickens, they can do much of the work.

As for paying for education, you said to not go to college, so that is a big lump out of the way. Clearly, you must keep them away from the politicized and toxic environment of the public schools, so you must home school them. Further, it is advantageous in reducing taxable income. One spouse can stay home to school the kids and the other one can work.

In order to live on minimum amounts of cash you are going to have to buy clothing and furniture from thrift and second hand stores, and they always have lots of stuff for children.

As I see it the rewards of having children are enormous and the costs are trivial
Not a bad start: these ideas are in the wind already.

No college? Perhaps. Everyone realizes that you have to have a defined skill set which is why you have so many cooking and fashion shows. Competing requires real talent and training. No sunflowers need apply.

As to money, well get a job with an indexed pension fund. No need to plan for retirement, and the money becomes almost a sinecure.

As to children, well you can't really do much for them, so why bother. In fact you would be lucky to get a place of your own. I think that is why the European birth rate is down. You can't get a nest so live at home.

As to plunder, well, you just don't support the commons, that is the best definition.
A nation, the borders of a geographical area never fails unless swallowed up by some catestrophic natural event.

On the other hand, a nations people and its government can decline into a complete failure. In America, the soverign territory is realtively safe as is the constitution. The nations government still funtions according to the mandates of constitutional process. The 'decline' of America lies solely with the American people of today. They've failed their religions, their churches and their fellow man. Since 2000, they've politicized everything that comes along and perpetuate political partisan hate declaring themselves 'real' enemies to one another.

Hypocrisy and hate has become their constitution and self governance today. The constitutional rule of majority governance is being challenged by radical minorities seeking a social and political dominance of rule.

The people have nobody to blame but themselves for the societal and political decline.
You're probably too young to know the decline, i.e. Americans "failing their religions, their churches and their fellow man" , and I would add themselves , has been THE event since the 1960 election in Cnicago.

Americans ceding control of their way of life, their culture, to the "revolutionaries of the 1960s". Their adulatory response to the new royal court called Camelot and its rules of behaviour.

The social/political heirs cementing its proscriptions into the culture. Proscriptions they called - and still do - political correctness and affirmative action, LIMITATIONS of citizens' Rights, PROTECTED via law/Constitution. Advertised "for the good of the people"

Their putative goals "equality, fairness and social justice". Principles and goals already in place as part of the America/American identity, PROTECTED in THE Constittuion, the Fundamental Law of ths "Country of Law". The only need enforcement of that law. NO NEED for new laws.

Only "Fundamental Trsnsformation" of the Constitution, IDENTITY YHEFT iAmerica/Americans would give them the power they craved.Tweaking the protections of citizens from government wannabee control freaks to distract from their true means and ends.

We all KNOW that "money makes the world go round". To get hands on the money of the world is a major step in gaining power. To buy anything and ANYBODY.

What a treasure trove is the "public purse" of the most successfull, economically and politically, nation/people on the planet? Of all time?

UNTIL revolutionaires of the 1960s were given control of the treasury and budgets of that nation. The culmination the virtual bankruptcy in the 21st century of that nation under their management.

To gain control of the "public purse" to give or withhold, is a DREAM FROM THE FATHERS fulfillment lto control empire/empires. To fulfull whici DREAM anything goes. And ANYBODY may be used as instrument/ tool. Willing or otherwise.
Yes sir, I'm far to young to have experienced the living history you have. I've only been observing the society and the nation and voting for a little while -- since 1954! Thanks for the lecture!
Instead of Going Galt, Be Joplin. Imagine whole neighborhoods and towns full of good decent hard working people with real useful skills working together to survive and rebuild. Learn useful DIY skills and be generous in sharing those skills with others. Learn how to live well on less money. Participate in the barter and cash tax-free economy. A simple first step is to pay your tips in cash and watch the positive reaction. Don't be tempted to accept the "government cheese". When the collapse finally happens, be among those prepared to pick up the pieces and rebuild.
With all due respect, "Galt"-style libertarians are not the same type of people as classic conservatives at all. They are in fact somewhat similar to classical liberals. Frankly as a paleoconservative religious nut I have more in common with many leftists than I do with the Ayn Rand set.

Care to elaborate?
#1 Saving for retirement
I just hope we can get our retirement out before it's worthless.
#2 Going to college.
I agree that the local tech school is as good, or better than the university. More boys seem to be choosing this option as their percentage has dropped in 4 year schools. My daughter is pursuing Nursing at the local tech school.
#3 $15,000
Since I can basically set my own salary at my job, I do keep it down so as to qualify for lower tax rates. We are taking every step to be as self-sufficient and unnoticed as possible.
#4 Don't have children
This one is absurd. No hope in this life makes family and children the only joy left. And raising three fabulous, conservative-activist children is my best revenge. Oh, and the claim that children are cost-prohibitive is silly.
#5 Plunder
We qualify for nothing except education help. However when I get the time I'm going to apply for everything and then be rejected. I used to feel guilty about using any kind of "help" because I didn't ever want to be a drain on the nation, but not anymore. I consider it my form of civil disobedience to crash the system as fast as possible. I do sympathize however with those of you more traditional patriots who are appalled at my actions. But I went through my mourning process last November saying goodbye to everything that used to be right and I really don't care anymore.
But for federal and state taxpayer subsidies and fed reserve printing presses, your community services, standards and its public education most likely would not be what it is today. Likewise for federral subsidies and your state!

From local banking, to sewerage and water treatment, too highways, bridges, rail systems, utilities, emergency services, hospitals, clinics and doctors, airports, schools and colleges, too business startups, downtown beautification grants, farming and ranching, industry and on down the pike. You take away federal subsides from the states and federal and state subsidies from communities and they ALL go bankrupt by sundown -- right along with the federal government a bit later.
Zeke, do you dislike everything I post? :)
I would be willing to part with at least half of the services you mentioned above to be more free of the federal gov't.
"I would be willing to part with at least half of the services..."

Therein lies the problem! What you're willing to sacrifice will not be what everybody else would choose to sacrifice and so goes.....
A conservative Claude-Piven strategy?
I live for more than the well-being of the United States. The meaning of my life is to serve my God in whatever circumstances he places me and to raise my children to live for principles above their own immediate self-interest or survival. Others' mileage may vary, of course. And Shaidle, maybe you imagine your kids as helmeted whiny losers, but I assure you that mine are not, and they are being raised to own the future.
1 2 3 4 Next View All