Were the Oscars Sexist?

If I cared enough to watch, I would know.

Robert Wargas

February 26, 2013 - 9:30 am

I only saw a few minutes of the Oscars, always an edifying spectacle if only because it has taught me how not to act in life: self-righteous, dolled up in Tom Ford and Karl Lagerfeld while speaking the language of Mother Jones and Karl Marx, prone to accepting little gold statues from a faceless politburo and then thanking them profusely for the honor, etc. This year the crapfest was hosted by Seth Macfarlane, who I actually think is more talented than people give him credit for.

Immediately after the crapfest was over–well, during it, too, thanks to asocial “social media”–all the hags and eunuchs on the blogosphere and in the glossy mags went into PC-status-seeker mode and began moaning about Macfarlane’s “sexism.” What do you think, dear readers? Was he sexist?

I’m not against denouncing genuine sexism, but I’m basically immune to the word now, except in its most extreme and virulent forms, thanks to its constant presence in our culture. (You can thank the hags and eunuchs for basically making it impossible to identify real racism and sexism in this country.) From what I can see Macfarlane said the word “boobs” too much, and this has offended certain people. Funny how it is now the progressive crowd that’s more offended by sexual language than Methodists and Baptists. On a lighter note, it’s interesting and somewhat refreshing that a media liberal like Macfarlane is finally the one being accused of an -ism. Nevertheless, Billy Crystal seems like the best choice from here on out.

***

Previously from Robert Wargas at PJ Lifestyle:

Why Is Identity Politics Evil?

Robert Wargas is a contributor to PJ Media. A native of Long Island, he was educated at the City University of New York and Yale University, and has also written for The Daily Telegraph of London and The Weekly Standard. Outside of opinion writing, he has worked as a professional historian for a major research laboratory and university, documenting the history of biotechnology since the 1970s. He has also reported for both weekly and daily newspapers, including Newsday. He maintains a personal blog/website at robertwargas.org. Follow him on Twitter @RobertWargas

Your tag line, "if I cared enough to watch", describes my reaction to most things Hollywood these days. I didn't watch the Oscars and haven't for some years. The next hurdle is the wasteland of re-runs and other crapola for the next months. Treme and Homeland, when do you start again??
MacFarlane's funniest joke was about Jessica Chastain's characters determination to hunt down Bin Ladin in Zero Dark Thirty: "a celebration of every woman’s innate ability to never let things go.”
It was a funny joke. People are way too thin skinned.
I wonder if everyone would be up in arms if Sarah Palin was the target of his jibes?
They call Macfarlane sexist for listing all the movies where Kate Winslett displayed her boobs.

If I say that it was offensive for Macfarlane to call it the way he sees it, they say he was sexist.

If I say that it is offensive that the most famous Hollywood actresses today display their boobs because it's "art", I'm some sort of caveman.

It's a lazy tell, to have an actress show her boobs: "Here stupid America, this is the sexy scene!"

Really, 47 year old Helen Hunt, who's won piles of awards and accolades, displayed her boobs in her Oscar nominated role. If Hitchcock shot the famous train scene in North by Northwest today, Eva Marie Saint would have to be naked hanging from a trapeze.
Macfarlane was funny, and no, the show was not sexist. Making fun of women who show their boobs to the world is not sexist.
President Morsi of Egypt should give the next "Best Picture" award by satellite. I'm already predicting the winner, a film about Islamophobic farmers in the midwest who reject Louis Farrakhan's outreach program that Federally mandates small towns must mentor gang youths and illegal aliens from the inner city. Salt shakers and any container that can hold more than 10 oz. of liquid are first seized by Federal marshals. Plus militia groups are shown rebelling against the new helmet-at-all-times-outside-the-house law.

If American politics got any stupider it'd forget how to breathe. Today, if you actually came out in favor of sexism and against social justice, more often than not you'd be on the side of the angels.

I feel sorry for our great-grand children. I hope their language skills are good cuz in 100 years this country will be hopelessly Balkanized, Third World and broke. Even today, college students can't correctly identify Africa and the Atlantic Ocean on a map.
Yes, but they can correctly identify their personal victim groups and all the discrimination against those groups. Who cares about other countries and where they are if you know that and can whine about it?