6 Classic Recordings That Have No Business Existing (Part One)

Learn about the secret screw ups behind some of the greatest songs you've ever heard.

Kathy Shaidle

February 19, 2013 - 7:00 am
YouTube Preview Image

# 6: Rumors (1977) by Fleetwood Mac

Hey, I know!

Let’s all take tons of drugs, sleep with each other, break up, take more drugs, then lock ourselves in a studio and cut a record about it.

Maybe it’ll even be one of the biggest selling albums of all time!

(As you might imagine, there’s a whole book about that soap opera, too.)

Fleetwood Mac’s Rumors was everything punk rock was rebelling against:

By the time it was made, the personal freedoms endowed by the social upheaval of the 60s had unspooled into unfettered hedonism. As such, it plays like a reaping: a finely polished post-hippie fallout, unaware that the twilight hour of the free love era was fixing and there would be no going back.

In the end, that battle ended in a draw.

Rumors may sound like brontosaurus mating calls to some ears today, but the re-engineered reissue is still selling pretty well.

YouTube Preview Image

Click here to view the 12 legacy comments

The way the articles at PJM are augering into the dummy file remind of of the Rad Baron's last flight in France. It's all crash and burn. The only thing that Kathy Shaidle knows less about than music is head angling when she's about to be photographed. Or perhaps, writing.

Locating her point is like finding a needle in a haystack.

The beach was a Wilson inspiration? Does it matter?

If you don't surf, do you not like the beach?

Fact is, nothing captivated the Brian like Spector's wall of sound in be my baby by the Ronettes.

Tell me a little about T Bone Walker's influence on Chuck Berry. The 50 second musical outro in Morrison's touch me. Why the suspended 4th starting a Hard Day's Night is such an internet mystery. Unravel the Otis Blackwell all shook up controversy.

Highlighting the obvious isn't the mark of a good writer. If I were your ink, I'd be embarrassed.
I don't know if this is on-topic or not, but somebody needs to be indicted for not promoting Bob Seger earlier in his career.
The definition of Chutzpah is linking back to the article you've cribbed a third of this article from. Or is Johnny Lepper your alias?
Daley says that Delp's vocal was " . . . planned and executed flawlessly on virtually the first take." Well, was it the first take, or was it not the first take? What is a "virtual" first take? This is poor writing. If it took 3 takes, say so.
I think it is a stretch to mention Esquerita or whatever his name is in the same breath as Little Richard.

I go back to beginning of rock 'n' roll listening to Alan Freed on WINS up in my home in Canada when he was totally alone on the airwaves with this music.

Two things have to be understood. We didn't see the singers. It was all in the sound. In the US there was segregation but when we heard Little Richard, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, and Bo Diddley, no one of our generation cared. Bill Haley and the Comets in the movie Blackboard Jungle brought the the music to the grand stage, but no one saw them. Then the country boys came along starting with Carl Perkins and of course Elvis and Jerry Lee and even Johnny Cash. Getting on TV for Elvis was a huge deal and the rockers didn't get on very often in the early days.

The sound was the thing and I must say from this one clip of Esquerita, his sound is inferior. I know them all from that era and I never heard of him Those who made it big, and there were only teenagers listening, it was the fact that they stood out on the airwaves and they made you dance.

In my own former life I was part of a group that is credited with making the first rock 'n' roll record domestically in Canada in 1958. Shhh Blast Off by the Asteroids. No one over 20 even knew what we were doing.