October 1, 2012
#REYNOLDS2016: So in response to this tagline, people want to know what a Reynolds 2016 platform would look like, beyond the flamethrower-equipped-embassies part.
I dunno. It’s not like I’ve given this ever-so-serious candidacy extensive thought. But here are some ideas:
1. Taxation: Everybody pays income tax. Enough to feel, regardless of income. (Say, 2-5% of gross income?) And the amount goes up and down each year in tandem with federal spending. Also, Hollywood fatcats will be expected to pay their fair share. And there will be sharper limits on charitable donations, and on universities’ ability to hoard their endowments while raising tuitions.
2. In foreign policy, a strategy of rewarding our friends and punishing our enemies, instead of the reverse. An idea so crazy it just might work!
3. Education: Abolish the Department of Education. Take half the current budget and turn it into education vouchers. Put the rest toward deficit reduction.
4. Budget: A 5% across-the-board cut in spending, repeated each year of my first term, said cuts to be actual reductions from prior-year spending. Also, federal budgeting to be done according to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, not the current hocus-pocus. Anyone calling something a “spending cut” when it’s really just a decline in the rate of growth shall be mocked publicly and pitilessly by the Official White House Mocker, Iowahawk.
5. Intellectual property: A single copyright term of 14 years; after some point, you’ve made enough money. Repeal the DMCA and related protectionist legislation.
6. Civil rights: Justice Department to enforce all civil rights laws without regard to race, class, or gender. Another idea so crazy it just might work!
7. Space: NASA abolished. All space activity except perhaps for some Defense-related stuff (e.g., spy satellites, ICBMs) to be contracted out to private firms.
8. Welfare: Return to, and strengthen, the Clinton-era work requirements.
Well, those are some thoughts. Perhaps my co-bloggers will have some other suggestions.